This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it me or is accuracy in pokemon games feel different in other video games

#1HipsterManPrimePosted 9/7/2013 12:38:43 PM(edited)
For example in fire emble, a 60% chance to hit sounds pretty good to me and tends to hit a lot. However stone edge and hydro pump (80% acc.) almost never hit for me. Same goes with tales games. If I use a weapon with a 30% to crit, all my moves will crit, but focus blast's 70% accuracy is more like 2% accuracy for me.
---
Nintendo + Sony = Gamer's Paradise.
#2DrakoVongola1Posted 9/7/2013 12:40:52 PM
I think all those other games also have a bunch of hidden stats and stuff beyond just the base 60% chance to hit or 30% chance to crit.

I'm almost certain at least some FE games do, where a 60% chance to hit isn't really 60%, IIRC I read there was some other, hidden RNG counter that you don't get to see with that.
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#3fissionprimerPosted 9/7/2013 12:41:09 PM
99% hit in Fire Emblem.... It misses..

1% crit. chance... It executes...
---
Sorry for my grammar, I'm typing on Ipad.
#4roxbury1990Posted 9/7/2013 12:41:52 PM
I... Pretty much agree. I've gotten used to using the weaker, more accurate moves because I just have terrible luck with moves that have lower than 100 accuracy.
---
White FC: 2581 1588 9644 // wii code = 1308 9776 3256 7038 // 3DS FC: 4527-7258-1744 // GamerTag: Loftice
Parasect is the BEST
#5DrakoVongola1Posted 9/7/2013 12:43:02 PM
fissionprimer posted...

And then your unit dies...To the last enemy on the field...After you've been on the map over an hour...On a playthrough where you don't let anyone die (AKA every playthrough for me)...

I love FE, but it certainly does not love me D:
---
#617MasterPosted 9/7/2013 12:44:16 PM
The thing with Fire Emblem games (from Sealed Sword up to Radiant Dawn anyway) is that the Accuracy check uses two RNs and averages them out to determine whether or not the attack hits. So, a displayed 60% hit in actuality will land more frequently than it leads on.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/17Master
#7DrakoVongola1Posted 9/7/2013 12:45:07 PM
17Master posted...
The thing with Fire Emblem games (from Sealed Sword up to Radiant Dawn anyway) is that the Accuracy check uses two RNs and averages them out to determine whether or not the attack hits. So, a displayed 60% hit in actuality will land more frequently than it leads on.

Does it not do that after RD?
---
#8Zr2456Posted 9/7/2013 12:50:00 PM
That's actually true.

Imagine rolling a 100 sided die every time you try to attack. If the number you roll is equal to or less than the accuracy of an attack in pokemon, it hits, and if it's higher it misses. so for Thunder, which has 70% accuracy, you'd roll roughly 70 hits and 30 misses out of 100 attempts.

Fire emblem rolls the die twice, and then takes the average of the two rolls. So if you have a 70% chance to hit, you'll roll many more averages under 70 than you will over 70. I think the math makes it roughly 91 hits and 9 misses out of 100 attempts. While this seems great, the opposite is also true: if you have 30% accuracy, you'll only around 9 out of 100 times. So it's a double edged sword.

So the accuracy stat in fire emblem is, well, inaccurate, while in pokemon you can take it at face value.

Note: Some older Fire Emblems use the Pokemon style of accuracy, and are considered much harder because of it.
#9Arne83Posted 9/7/2013 12:51:21 PM
DrakoVongola1 posted...
fissionprimer posted...

And then your unit dies...To the last enemy on the field...After you've been on the map over an hour...On a playthrough where you don't let anyone die (AKA every playthrough for me)...

And that is why I have never beaten a Fire Emblem game... and probably never will...
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
Snowflame is greatest comic villain ever made. Shame on DC for letting him fade into obscurity.
#10DrakoVongola1Posted 9/7/2013 12:55:35 PM
Arne83 posted...
DrakoVongola1 posted...
fissionprimer posted...

And that is why I have never beaten a Fire Emblem game... and probably never will...

Lol

I've beaten Path of Radiance and Awakening, and almost beaten Radiant Dawn, Fire Emblem 7, and Sacred Stones.

It's a very frustrating series, I really can't understand why I love it so much when it makes me so angry. Although Awakening was definitely the easiest one I've played, so easy to turn your units into invincible gods.
---