This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

does aanybody think fire types will see a big boost?

#1tyranitartyranyPosted 9/8/2013 5:43:57 AM
Hello, I'm new to gamefaqs. My favorite pokemon is Tyranitar, I've been into pokemon since the release of red version and I'm very excited for gen 6.

Anyways, I was seeking a little thought/insight on what gen 6 will do for fire types. If the pokebeach leak turns out to be true about the fairy type in relation to the type chart, then fairy is resisted by at least the fire type. Fairy is also supposedly weak against steel and poison. Right? Well, even if fairies are immune to dragons, I doubt the power of dragons is going anywhere. Their BSTs are still generally high, their movepools are wide, and the only obstacles they face will be steels and fairies. My point is this: I think steels will dominate competitive battling, alongside dragons and fairies (if they end up powerful enough). Shouldn't fire types see a pretty substantial boost in competition if that's the case?....I know stealth rock exists and all, but I can't shake this feeling that gamefreak may end up nerfing stealth rock in some way. Thoughts anybody?
#2Great_ReapettePosted 9/8/2013 5:49:25 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3Nightcrawler65Posted 9/8/2013 5:50:48 AM
A lot of Pokemon can learn Fire type moves. A few Fire types will see more use but not a lot.
---
My family has more genetic defects than an incestuous brood of Mormon rednecks living on a trailer park at Chernobyl Psychic Cabbage
#4JoJoX200Posted 9/8/2013 6:00:28 AM
First off, Fairies being immune to Dragon would limit the use of Outrage and Draco Meteor, 2 reasons why dragons are so powerful. Yes, they have high stats, but risking an immunity to switch in(that is SE to boot) is a pretty big deal, especially since Dragon types are, as of now(Noivern might change that, thx to being a bat), average at most when it comes to speed, and there will likely be at least some fast Fairy types.

Now onto the topic at hand: Fire resisting Fairy is a good decision, tough the type is still a bad defensive type. I hope that NVE relation doesn't mean that Fire is SE on Fairy tough, because every dragon bar Haxorus has access to strong Fire moves. While the same is true for Steel types, Fairy type is probably supposed to be kind of an extreme measure. Just like Dark type proved to be for Psychic over the years. Making it weak to Fire would defeat the purpose.

I also don't see GF nerfing stealth rock. That move is nearly non existant in the official metagame(which is the VGC one, a doubles metagame) and thus not a big deal to them. Maybe make stronger Fire types to match the type's aggressive nature - Darmanitan and Volcarona are both incredible powerhouses, so I could see that.
#5ThatPersonGuyPosted 9/8/2013 6:02:21 AM
JoJoX200 posted...
First off, Fairies being immune to Dragon would limit the use of Outrage and Draco Meteor, 2 reasons why dragons are so powerful. Yes, they have high stats, but risking an immunity to switch in(that is SE to boot) is a pretty big deal, especially since Dragon types are, as of now(Noivern might change that, thx to being a bat), average at most when it comes to speed, and there will likely be at least some fast Fairy types.

But all it does is increace priority on Steel types, an already overused type. That in and out of itself wouldn't help Fire, because SR is OP as all hell.
---
You can beat 'em up by any means or blow them all to SMITHEREENS, a favorite of this sentient machine!
#6kagster123Posted 9/8/2013 6:04:41 AM
Fire-types depend on their dual typing, and usually a typing that gives them neutrality to rock. See:Infernape, Heatran, and Blaziken. Volcorona is the exception just because Quiver Dance is such a beast move.

People only use Ninetales cause of the ability. i miss 4th gen when everyone hated her.

If Fairy's are uber popular (which they definitely will be) and steels continue to stay popular (which they definitely will be), you'll see more Pokemon running Fire-type moves, but they wont be coming from fire-type pokemon. :/
---
W2 FC-4041 7958 0763
#7JoJoX200Posted 9/8/2013 6:10:02 AM
ThatPersonGuy posted...
JoJoX200 posted...

But all it does is increace priority on Steel types, an already overused type. That in and out of itself wouldn't help Fire, because SR is OP as all hell.

?

In the quoted paragraph I did not once mention Fire type or anything that'd help Steel type. I was just bothered by the 'dragons are still gonna be OP thx to stats' statement and wanted to address that before moving on to the topic at hand.
If Fairy really is immune to Dragon, like I assumed in the quote, that would rather cause Steel types to go down in usage because Fairy does their job of walling dragons better. Of course, Steel going down wouldn't help Fire since one of their prime targets is gone.