This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

T-Rex Pokemon's ability should increase its accuracy against faster Pokemon...

#21SammuthegreatPosted 9/11/2013 4:03:21 PM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
Sammuthegreat posted...
That one was invented for the Rule of Cool. As was the frill, most likely.

Actually, I remember reading about their rationale for the frill, and it's not totally terrible. In real life, plenty of animals have decorative features that the fossil record would leave totally unpreserved. The comb on a rooster's head is a great example. The idea is then that dinosaurs could have had such features that we will never know about from just looking at their fossils. The frill was totally invented, but it was invented to demonstrate this idea.

AND because it was cool. ^_^

Absolutely right. There's no reason to believe dinosaurs didn't have frills - in fact given the crazy variety in the dominant species during the dino-eras, it seems silly to think anything other than that they did have frills and other such decorative devices. But to say Dilophosaurus specifically had a frill isn't strictly true, even if it is a possibility.
#22Arne83Posted 9/11/2013 4:03:32 PM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
Arne83 posted...
I would hate that move for all of the inaccuracies in it... if it wasn't so damn good.

My friends and I found an easy way to reconcile the inaccuracies:
These aren't real dinosaurs. They're dinosaurs spliced with frogs. That does all kinds of crazy, unpredictable crap to their genes. That their creators in the film were too foolish to realize this is just another example of their hubris.

Ehhhh.... ok. I can accept that.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
Snowflame is greatest comic villain ever made. Shame on DC for letting him fade into obscurity.
#23SocranPosted 9/11/2013 4:09:46 PM
Lies! The T-Rex in that movie was defeated by going faster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxqHVoZ0fzc&t=40s
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#24SpikeTbearPosted 9/11/2013 4:12:55 PM
A lot of the modern drawings of shorter dinos like Velociraptors have them covered in feathers. Also, they depict T-Rex as having a straight spine, so it is a horizontal line from the head to the tip of the tail.

My favorite line is from Samuel L. Jackson:

"Hold on to your butts!"
---
"The most important thing is to never stop questioning." -Albert Einstein.
Xbox Live: AlteraLateralus
#25TheGreatDebatePosted 9/11/2013 4:14:03 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7KjB-_bjOJs
---
There's a difference between just believing in Jesus and actually following him. Jesus says to follow him, not just believe
#26SammuthegreatPosted 9/11/2013 4:19:06 PM
SpikeTbear posted...
A lot of the modern drawings of shorter dinos like Velociraptors have them covered in feathers. Also, they depict T-Rex as having a straight spine, so it is a horizontal line from the head to the tip of the tail.

My favorite line is from Samuel L. Jackson:

"Hold on to your butts!"

Velociraptors and other Dromaeosaurids definitely had feathers. They've found quill knobs on fossilized Velociraptor forearm bones which show where the feathers slotted into the bone. Apparently raptors (the smaller ones anyway, less likely Utahraptor) could probably glide through the air, although their shoulder joints couldn't rotate enough for them to flap.
#27scraadinPosted 9/11/2013 7:28:22 PM
Yeah, once they found more delicate methods of fossil removal, far more skin samples started turning up. There's a whole lot of evidence for feathers these days, and I remember a year or two back, chemical analysis actually revealed the coloration of at least one small feathered dinosaur. Heady days, indeed.
---
The answer to "Why not?" is always Wobbuffet.
#28game2002Posted 9/12/2013 10:07:03 AM
Anyone here know that tyrannosauruses are supposed to be scavengers and not hunters, like how medias always seem to portray them?
---
Praise the Lord, our one true God!
#29Twilight_Sonata(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2013 8:08:49 PM
game2002 posted...
Anyone here know that tyrannosauruses are supposed to be scavengers and not hunters, like how medias always seem to portray them?

That's actually not true, or at least it's only true to an extent. The truth is that most species that are predators are also scavengers, perfectly happy to come across dead prey or even perfectly happy to come across prey being eaten by another, lesser predator that they can scare away. This was likely as true for T-Rex as it is for modern predators. The idea that T-Rex was solely or even overwhelmingly a scavenger, though, is something that's been laughed at by every actual paleontologist that I've met. It's just a fringe theory that took off with the public, much like the ideas that T-Rex couldn't run or that its forearms were totally useless.
#30game2002Posted 9/12/2013 9:08:37 PM
^ Well, I know this is something debated, but thanks for the clear-up!
---
Praise the Lord, our one true God!