This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Before Pokemon Bank, how did you transfer Pokemon?

#11Alty1Posted 9/12/2013 9:09:22 PM
Before the advent of wireless, I used a link cable and my little sister's handheld to move things about. Then I just borrowed her DS.
#12DMZappPosted 9/12/2013 9:45:49 PM
Let me tell you all a story of Pokemon transferring and how one app kept an irate person onboard...

I once had a DS. I played Pokemon Diamond. It was decent (if slow), and it offered transferring from 3rd gen.

Pretty soon, the mons came in droves, and I realized I needed a way to store them for later so I could start a new game.

Then, in 2008, a game for WiiWare was announced- My Pokemon Ranch. It promised the ability to store Pokemon.

However, near release, a horrifying fact sprung to light- My Pokemon Ranch couldn't do cross-game storage. Instead, my mons were locked to my account, with no choice to unlock them for others. And, if I were to start a new game while they were at the ranch, they were stuck forever without hacking. All thanks to the incompetence of (the oddly still active) Ambrella.

So I didn't get the game. And I couldn't start over. Soon i got bored.

So, I got Platinum. It fixed everything that was wrong with Diamond and made itself, at least in my eyes, the best Pokemon game ever made, with the six that came after unable to dethrone it.

Now, by this point, you'd think MPR would be patched to include cross-game storage. I mean, this huge flaw didn't escape people's notice, and Ambrella should have gotten some ideas that they screwed up. It wasn't.
You'd also think MPR would be compatible with Platinum. It wasn't, and neither was HeartGold or SoulSilver.

Due to the idiocy of My Pokemon Ranch not doing cross-game storage and never being patched to do so (I still can't let that go), I had to wait until I got a DSi, when the shoulderpads on my DS started becoming a problem, allowing me to trade from Diamond into Platinum.

Due to the fact that I was using Diamond as a faux rental system to replace Battle Revolution's lack of a system (another annoyance, but not as much as the above), and since my friends raised some mons on my file for use in said game, I had to transfer 90 Pokemon over, and had I transfered all the faux-rental ones, it would have reached the mid 100s.

Guess how long it took to catch 90 Bidoofs and Starlys? 3 hours.
Guess how long it took to trade them all over? Another 3 hours.

Now, guess how much fun I had doing so, and how I felt after an experience that My Pokemon Ranch should have been able to do in 10-15 minutes max if it had the ability to? Unsurprisingly, I had no fun at all, and I was really steamed at Nintendo & Ambrella's (ESPECIALLY Ambrella's) utter incompetence.

And then, when I had to do it again for SoulSilver to Platinum, I only did 30, said "(************) it", and vowed both not to do it the primitive way ever again or to get the next generation unless a fully-functional storage game was announced.

For some reason, I then got the Gen V games, and when no storage app was announced at all, I decided I was getting off the bus- I was done.

.until Pokemon Bank was announced, and confirmed to do what I, and I assume many others, had been asking for for years- cross-game storage. Not only that, but if I understand correctly, Pokemon Bank will work for years to come.

So, because of this app alone, I'm onboard for Gen VI.
---
Gameplay & story can and should work with each other, not against each other.
Nothin' much, just cookin'.
#13FennelsdreamsPosted 9/12/2013 11:33:26 PM
I got help from a relative who was also a fan of the series. It wasn't until the 3ds came out that I had two systems for the ds games. Needed to upgrade anyway once all the developers started jumping over there.
#14NitharadPosted 9/13/2013 12:41:40 AM
I simply never did.

I always prefer a fresh start to give the new Pokemon a chance to impress me.
#15EmbraceOblivionPosted 9/13/2013 12:51:41 AM
I have a DS and my brother has a DS so I always just used his when he wasn't around.
---
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
-Albert Einstein
#16AlI_About_The_UPosted 9/13/2013 12:52:25 AM
Never bothered.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Fd6pTd6.jpg
#17JoJoX200Posted 9/13/2013 1:00:40 AM
EmbraceOblivion posted...
I have a DS and my brother has a DS so I always just used his when he wasn't around.

This, except I have a sister. Tough she won't be getting a 3DS anytime soon and I'm happy Pokebank lets me transfer with one system now.
---
http://jojodee.deviantart.com/ -- Fakemons and other stuff
#18HeliotropePosted 9/13/2013 2:21:02 AM
I had to (and did) buy multiple GBA's/DS's/3DS if I wanted to transfer/trade between my games. I don't know anyone who likes Pokemon or who owns a Nintendo handheld (including my brothers. Though one did have a 3DS:XL for a very short time - I bought it from him when he got bored of it, since I knew I'd need it for trading between X and Y :P )

I currently have two GBA:SP's, two DSLite's and two 3DS:XL - all so I can transfer/trade between my games.

I've already spent far more on transferring over the years then I probably will on PokeBank. My extra 3DS:XL cost me 80 - it'll take 16 years for PokeBank to cost me the same.
---
Currently taking a break from AC:NL. Will start a new town on new year's day. n_n
3DS FC: 2208-4574-2359
#19sonictrainer(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 4:28:07 AM
DMZapp posted...
Now, by this point, you'd think MPR would be patched to include cross-game storage. I mean, this huge flaw didn't escape people's notice, and Ambrella should have gotten some ideas that they screwed up. It wasn't.
You'd also think MPR would be compatible with Platinum. It wasn't, and neither was HeartGold or SoulSilver.

I always hated that the US never got the Platinum update for MPR.
---
The fastest Pokemon trainer alive!
#20sonictrainer(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 9:04:57 PM
I've done all of the above except use an actual GBA Link Cable between 2 GBAs
---
The fastest Pokemon trainer alive!