This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If X and Y are based on chromosomes...

#11MagneticSparkPosted 9/15/2013 2:50:03 PM
swordsman126 posted...
Why is everyone so hung up on the chromosome thing? They're the first 3d Pokemon games. The 3 dimensional coordinate system is made up of the x axis (horizontal), the y axis (vertical), and the z axis (depth). Oddly enough, the X legendary runs across the ground and Mega Mewtwo X is standing (constrained to the horizontal, x axis). The Y legendary flies, and Mega Mewtwo Y floats (moves vertically, along the y axis).

Am I the only one who thinks this?

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/pokemon-x-y-version/thumb/f/fe/Pokemon-x-y.jpg/468px-Pokemon-x-y.jpg

considering this picture shows a double helix in the logo its pretty safe to assume they are indeed based on chromosomes
#12Great_ReapettePosted 9/15/2013 3:13:26 PM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
*reads topic title*
It's not, and whatever sexist crap you're about to say is stupid.

While I will concede the latter point, I would like to pose: What are X and Y based upon, then? And why is there a swirl of DNA on the JP logos?
---
Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.
#13R0cks0l1ddPosted 9/15/2013 3:17:18 PM
MagneticSpark posted...
swordsman126 posted...
Why is everyone so hung up on the chromosome thing? They're the first 3d Pokemon games. The 3 dimensional coordinate system is made up of the x axis (horizontal), the y axis (vertical), and the z axis (depth). Oddly enough, the X legendary runs across the ground and Mega Mewtwo X is standing (constrained to the horizontal, x axis). The Y legendary flies, and Mega Mewtwo Y floats (moves vertically, along the y axis).

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/pokemon-x-y-version/thumb/f/fe/Pokemon-x-y.jpg/468px-Pokemon-x-y.jpg

considering this picture shows a double helix in the logo its pretty safe to assume they are indeed based on chromosomes

This and X and Y are 2D coordinates, which makes no sense for a 3D game. Don't give me that "third version/sequels" excuse either, if that's the case then there should have a been another version from the get-go called Z.
---
Official everything of every board.
#14Doctor_SpankyPosted 9/15/2013 3:19:10 PM
Obviously Mewtwo X is the female. Look at those child-rearing hips!
#15IzanagiBlastPosted 9/15/2013 4:25:19 PM
Houndoomed posted...
Enough with these kind of topics already! Like, who the hell cares?

---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKNKVzVAqUk
3DS FC:3351-4244-8930
#16Meltemi_RafalaPosted 9/15/2013 5:08:29 PM
R0cks0l1dd posted...
MagneticSpark posted...
swordsman126 posted...

This and X and Y are 2D coordinates, which makes no sense for a 3D game. Don't give me that "third version/sequels" excuse either, if that's the case then there should have a been another version from the get-go called Z.

Oh, and just to top things off, one most commonly sees the Z axis denoting height on a 3D plot by convention in regular usage, where X and Y denote a plane of lateral movement. It's a holdover from the real world, where X and Y would denote movement along the surface and Z would denote altitude.
---
All above is completely true and accurate, unless it isn't.
#17Twilight_SonataPosted 9/15/2013 7:09:47 PM
Great_Reapette posted...
*reads topic title*

While I will concede the latter point, I would like to pose: What are X and Y based upon, then?

As much as people desperately want to deny it for some stupid reason (probably because they hate not having an excuse to spout out their sexist crap), they're most likely based on dimension coordinates, the venture onto the 3DS meaning that they have the X, Y, and Z axes to work with, the third version this gen probably being Pokemon Z.

And why is there a swirl of DNA on the JP logos?

That's the symbol that appears over Pokemon when they Mega Evolve.
#18InninXIPosted 9/15/2013 10:00:26 PM
Great_Reapette posted...
*reads topic title*

While I will concede the latter point, I would like to pose: What are X and Y based upon, then?

As much as people desperately want to deny it for some stupid reason (probably because they hate not having an excuse to spout out their sexist crap), they're most likely based on dimension coordinates, the venture onto the 3DS meaning that they have the X, Y, and Z axes to work with, the third version this gen probably being Pokemon Z.

And why is there a swirl of DNA on the JP logos?

That's the symbol that appears over Pokemon when they Mega Evolve.

Which just happens to be DNA
---
PSN: YoninXI 3DS FC:1161-1061-8447
Forever Fat Princess
#19jamieyelloPosted 9/15/2013 10:04:14 PM
Nerwrax15 posted...
ITT:Women can't be buff and men can't be effeminate. Sexist.

Just stop.
---
#20Twilight_SonataPosted 9/15/2013 10:12:21 PM
InninXI posted...
Which just happens to be DNA

I was not trying to imply that it was not.