This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So apparently Status Immune Typing is Game Freak's "solution" to status Pokemon.

#1DarkKirby2500Posted 9/13/2013 8:05:03 AM
Do you agree with this "solution"? - Results (112 votes)
Yes.
58.04% (65 votes)
I thought something needed to be done to hinder offensive status effect based Pokemon, but not this.
8.93% (10 votes)
The problem was status effects like Sleep were too luck based/overpowered, not the lack of status effect immune Pokemon.
16.96% (19 votes)
I didn't think anything needed to the "solved" regarding status effects. Status effects were fine.
16.07% (18 votes)
This poll is now closed.
From Serebii.

Some more changes regarding types have been announced; Ghost types are no longer affected by moves that prevent fleeing such as Mean Look. Grass Pokémon can't be seeded or affected by moves such as Sleep Powder or Stun Spore. Electric types can no longer be Paralyzed.

For option 3, I would like to mention Paralysis is also luck based in when is stops attacks.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#2ShariadarowPosted 9/13/2013 8:12:01 AM
The problem is them being luck based, especially stuff like paralysis, sleep, and freeze. depending on the move, you have a chance of the move hitting, then a chance of the status taking effect, and then chance plays into how often it comes up(paralysis), or how long it lasts. It'd honestly probably work better if the treated status effects more like how stat increases and decreases work, where there are normal and sharp versions that stack up rather than just a low chance of an always powerful effect.

It's a problem of all RPGs being based off of D&D, which loved luck based mechanics. as a result, they never change their formula, they continue to use the same mechanics because if they don't their fans will kill them for not holding to nostalgia, and in turn new RPGs copy the same sort of formula and never improve upon it. Such is the cycle of RPGs.
#3PK_GamingPosted 9/13/2013 8:15:34 AM
They're most likely addressing the prevalence of status moves in VGC (ie Thundurus using Prankster T-wave to paralyze everything, Spore being spammed to kingdom come, etc)
---
Check out our Persona 3 Let's Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Wlm6CGZV8
#4Zabie_WPosted 9/13/2013 8:29:33 AM
I find it a good solution. If Gamefreak changed the way status ailments worked, there would be a lot of discontent among the player base. By sticking to the formula but doing small tweaks like this, they are keeping Pokemon games the way they have always been but with new balance elements

Kudos to Gamefreak.
#5DarkKirby2500(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 8:33:07 AM(edited)
PK_Gaming posted...
They're most likely addressing the prevalence of status moves in VGC (ie Thundurus using Prankster T-wave to paralyze everything, Spore being spammed to kingdom come, etc)

I think this decision was made before VGC as typically a game needs a few months lead for manufacturing, unless X/Y has a day 1 patch, which would be a 1st for Nintendo. Patches from Nintendo are extremely rare to begin with, bordering on never.

It's not as if the overpoweredness of status effects, especially 100% accuracy status effects, is news to Game Freak. They just didn't care before.

In Pokemon Stadium like over 90% of the CPU Pokemon had Thunder Wave.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#6TheMeteoDragoonPosted 9/13/2013 8:34:24 AM
well I think there was a pattern with Paralysis. Think the pattern is still there. At least for me it seemed like that for me. I.e. the first two moves then the middle two then the last two then first and fourth repeat this.
#7DarkKirby2500(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 8:56:30 AM
TheMeteoDragoon posted...
well I think there was a pattern with Paralysis. Think the pattern is still there. At least for me it seemed like that for me. I.e. the first two moves then the middle two then the last two then first and fourth repeat this.

http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/bw_status#paralysis
---
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#8TheMeteoDragoonPosted 9/13/2013 8:59:09 AM
DarkKirby2500 posted...
TheMeteoDragoon posted...

http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/bw_status#paralysis

Well it that pattern I mentioned worked for me... Must be lucky when Paralyzed then.
#9MetleonPosted 9/13/2013 9:00:53 AM
The main problem with Sleep is the fact that the counter resets if the Pokemon switches out. Sleep was still a problem in Gen 4 without that feature, but Sleep wasn't automatically a death sentence to a Pokemon without Sleep Talk.
---
Generation 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your own signature (on any forum) and add one to the generation number. Social experiment.
#10RDS1Posted 9/13/2013 9:02:51 AM
DarkKirby2500 posted...
From Serebii.

Some more changes regarding types have been announced; Ghost types are no longer affected by moves that prevent fleeing such as Mean Look. Grass Pokémon can't be seeded or affected by moves such as Sleep Powder or Stun Spore. Electric types can no longer be Paralyzed.

Ghost-type roaming legendary confirmed.
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)