This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Quit trying to pretend like you know how technology works

#11westontickleePosted 9/14/2013 10:29:39 AM
That's all I hear TC saying
---
Queen Jiggs, Princess Flabebe and Lord Nyaoni and Lady Meowstic are gonna destroy!
JiggsNation Territories: Pokemon X, FFXV, LR: FFXIII and P4G Boards
#12SorceressTharjaPosted 9/14/2013 11:35:42 AM
I don't mind the cost at all. I do mind the fact that they're trying to pass it off as "Server Maintenance Costs". It's a moneywhore, and they're trying to say it isn't. That's my objection.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67161016 - Interested in helping design an OU Pokemon Team as the GameFAQs community? Follow that link...
#13Pupu27Posted 9/14/2013 11:41:01 AM
SorceressTharja posted...
I don't mind the cost at all. I do mind the fact that they're trying to pass it off as "Server Maintenance Costs". It's a moneywhore, and they're trying to say it isn't. That's my objection.

It is actually server maintenance costs :-". They would need about $10m/year to keep the service up and running. Relatively this is probably pocket chance to Nintendo but $10m still a lot to give away for free
---
God gave us the English language to troll on Gamefaqs :)
#14jamieyelloPosted 9/14/2013 11:41:42 AM
Well at first I was like

"You have to pay for transfering over wireless? That's lame"

Then everyone was like

"You haters are overreacting pokebank is gods blessing to the world"

And then I just didn't give a s*** anymore. The end
---
#15ClassyOldHatPosted 9/14/2013 11:42:35 AM
All but number 4 apply to companies that offer $0.10 per gigabyte a month, (alright, you've got to stretch 5 a bit, but developing this app and developing other types of UI for other cloud services can't be too different). I still think it's a bit much. I'm not even sure 3000 Pokemon would take up a gigabyte of space.

And again, for most of us, the price is just a minor issue. I would still probably buy it anyway (if I needed storage) Most of us are only objecting to the charging for Transfer by extension, which could be done for even cheaper than the regular storage service, since it's in-and-out.
#16jayman7Posted 9/14/2013 11:48:57 AM(edited)
There's also the fact that the Pokemon Bank has to verify data (make sure it's actually Pokemon data!), check against possible sources of hacks, interact with a very specific 3DS app, convert data for fifth-gen Pokemon into sixth-gen format*... this is stuff ordinary cloud storage doesn't do.

* - Technically, the Transporter app could do that last one instead, but it seems more maintainable to have the server do it.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#17Pupu27Posted 9/14/2013 12:00:52 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
All but number 4 apply to companies that offer $0.10 per gigabyte a month,

These companies have other sources of income to cover (companies like Google are 10 times bigger than Nintendo).

Pokebank is an extra service and Nintendo only has 2 options: sucks up the cost (which reduced the profit from Pokemon - their primary product) or asks customers to cover it.

No business in their right mind would go for the first option. (The only time they would is to use the free service to promote something else which Nintendo doesn't have any)
---
God gave us the English language to troll on Gamefaqs :)
#18Hierarchy225Posted 9/14/2013 12:04:14 PM
westonticklee posted...
So in other words, "baa! baa!!"

So what you're saying is you have no way to counter OP's points, and must resort to labeling people as "sheeple"?
---
The Official Teeruna of the Pokemon X Board // Power of Friendship is OP
3DS Friend Code 1993-7813-6870
#19LightHawKnightPosted 9/14/2013 12:04:24 PM
Forgetting the cost of upgrading it to work with the next gen when it comes out.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#20ZTIger5Posted 9/14/2013 12:04:58 PM
westonticklee posted...
That's all I hear TC saying

All the rest of us hear you saying is "I'm obnoxious!".

Unless you have a valid argument against PokeBank, just stop. You're making yourself look like an arse.
---
Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening, Pokemon White 2, Bioshock Infinite
I believe in everlasting life in Heaven.