This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ice is definately the worst type now.

#1SettaWorldTeethPosted 9/15/2013 5:54:34 AM
While other weaker types like poison and grass got buffed, ice got nothing. In fact it actually got indirectly nerfed thanks to the fairy type taking away the only niche ice types had, beating dragons. It has one resistance and that's only to itself, a ton of weaknesses which now looks worse thanks to steel likely becoming more offensive and a painful stealth rock weakness.

Water types with ice moves are more appealing than ever thanks to their resistance to steel and lack of common weaknesses compared with ice. Sure they lack STAB but is it worth using a type that dies to everything for a slight boost in power?

Hail is still underpowered compared with other weather due to the lack of abilities and Pokemon it complements. Just look at what rain, sun and sand offer.

Rain
- Boosts water attacks
- Halves fire attacks
- Activates an ability that doubles speed
- Activates abilities that heal users
- Activates an ability that heals all statuses
- Makes Thunder and Hurricane 100% accurate.

Sun
- Boosts fire attacks
- Halves water attacks
- Activates an ability that prevents statuses
- Doubles the boosts from Growth
- Removes the charge from Solarbeam

Sand
- Raises the Sp. Def of rock types
- Damages every type except rock, steel and ground
- Activates an ability that increases the power of ground, rock and steel moves
- Activates an ability that boosts evasion

That's a lot of advantages for types that already outclass ice and I probably missed a few as well. So what advantages does hail have?

- Damages every type except ice
- Activates an ability that boosts evasion
- Activates an ability that heals users
- Makes blizzard 100% accurate

So that's fewer advantages than the other types of weather too! The fact that only ice types avoid damage in hail makes building a team around it even more difficult and it's only the only weather that doesn't have a speed boosting ability or any way to boost the power of moves.

I had high hopes that GF would fix ice this gen but they merely swept it under the rug and forgot about it. I only hope that there are buffs that we don't know about or that many powerful ice types are introduced this gen.
---
PSN:Some_randm_freak
#2COLL1NPosted 9/15/2013 5:56:52 AM
they haven't released all the pokemon yet. Who knows there may be an ability or pokemon that completely turns it around for the ice side.
#3PrettyTonyTigerPosted 9/15/2013 5:57:29 AM
I'm tired of people saying fairy took away ices only advantage of beating dragons!!

Most dragons are paired with flying and ground so they still get hit 4x by Ice!!! Ice is still superior against dragon!!
---
Females are the greatest beings in the universe!!!
Users who agree: 16!!!
#4HardHorseJamPosted 9/15/2013 5:58:03 AM
Agree with TC, and also, Fairy will encourage the use of Steel moves and Fire Pokemon, neither of which Ice enjoys.

The only good thing for Ice is that Fairy discourages the use of Fighting types. Really, the loss of the Dragon-beating niche is the biggest issue.

At least it gets to be 4x SE against many important Dragons. But Politoed has the most to celebrate from that thanks to Ice beam. >_<
#5Missingno_MastrPosted 9/15/2013 5:59:59 AM
Actually, Cryogonal might become more useful- one of its few non-Ice moves, Flash Cannon, just got a hell of a lot more useful, didn't it?
---
http://pokefarm.org/_ext/user/110trainer#0 http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9247960/1/404-Error
http://imageshack.us/a/img189/1407/jh6l.gif
#6COLL1NPosted 9/15/2013 6:00:17 AM
And speaking of killing dragons, look at Amaura. that guy must be the anti dragon.

More ice pokemon will be revealed and hopefully Ice will be OP this time around because I love glacion and Hail :)
#7InhaledCornPosted 9/15/2013 6:00:31 AM
I wish Ice gained a Water resistance. That would have been something. It has amazing coverage, but the crazy amounts of weaknesses to very common types just isn't worth it. The only reason Cloyster gets used because its the best user of Shell Smash.
---
3DS FC: 2578-3118-6645 PSN: PowahBoxers
I need to play Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door again...
#8OsrangerPosted 9/15/2013 6:01:09 AM
PrettyTonyTiger posted...
I'm tired of people saying fairy took away ices only advantage of beating dragons!!

Most dragons are paired with flying and ground so they still get hit 4x by Ice!!! Ice is still superior against dragon!!

Fairies are immune to dragon stab

Hydreigon is still sad
#9SettaWorldTeeth(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 6:01:21 AM
PrettyTonyTiger posted...

But fairy types don't have to worry about outrages and draco meteors which makes them more effective. Not to mention they have better matchups with other types making them more appealing. It also doesn't take away from the fact that you can just use a water type with an ice move since nearly all water Pokemon have access to them.
---
PSN:Some_randm_freak
#10Slayerblade11Posted 9/15/2013 6:03:17 AM
Normal is still going to be the worst type. But Ice won't be far off.