This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I wonder if Ghost will become the new OP type

#1Faust_8Posted 9/15/2013 9:43:02 AM
Gen VI and onward means Ghost is only resisted by one other type, Dark, and defensively has always been good since they are immune to Normal and Fighting and only weak to themselves and Dark.

If they get more powerful attacks...do you think they'd be the next Dragon type? Because right now it seems like they're only held back by their best moves being only 80 base power on the special side and 60 or 70 base power on the physical side.

Granted, this makes me think we won't get much better Ghost moves because of this, which is kind of a shame. Though I at least hope they make a physical Ghost move with 80 base power.
---
I'm not against religion. I'm against all bad ideas, held for bad reasons, prompting bad behavior.
#2EmoglobinPosted 9/15/2013 9:44:13 AM
Yep. They're basically the new Dragon, with only one weakness besides themselves.
---
"There's no point having the biggest and most explosive gun operated by someone who can only use a slingshot. That's what the Vita is"
#3Tigo73Posted 9/15/2013 9:47:13 AM
I donīt think that It will be to the extent of Dragon. Dragon boasts having some of the best Pokemon in the game, stat-wise, in itīs family. Most ghosts, outside of Gengar, suck offensively. And even then, Gengar is not broken to the extent of, say, Salamence.
---
The man who will steal your candles.
Official Omoikane of the SMT IV board.
#4Faust_8(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 10:00:53 AM
Right. It's just seems the case that the "new" Ghost type is an awful lot like the "old" Dragon type, the only chief difference is that Dragons usually have much better stats and more powerful attacks than any Ghost type, besides Giratina (who's also a Dragon anyway, and locked away in the Uber tier).

I find this interesting, and both good AND bad. It's good in that, on the one hand, Ghost is now better. On the other, it makes me afraid that they won't get any more powerful Pokemon or attacks...or they will, and suddenly they'll be the type that needs nerfing.

I mean, how many Generations has it been where Ghost's primary damage-dealing no-strings-attached moves have just been Shadow Ball/Claw/Punch? I want new Ghost attacks...but now they can't be TOO good or else it will be a problem that nothing can switch into it besides a Dark type.
---
I'm not against religion. I'm against all bad ideas, held for bad reasons, prompting bad behavior.
#5JoJoX200Posted 9/15/2013 10:06:19 AM
I don't think Ghost will become OP. Not right away, anyway. There are no 600 BST ghosts bsides uber Giratina, there are no Ghost moves beyond 80 BP besides Shadow Force.

I like what direction the type took flavour-wise tough. Ghosts are paranormal dead beings, thus they should be largely unaffected by the world of the living. Which they now officially are, both offensively and defensively.
---
http://jojodee.deviantart.com/ -- Fakemons and other stuff
#6Faust_8(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 10:08:30 AM
Granted, I forgot that Normal Pokemon can swap in on a Ghost attack no problem, however typically Normal Pokemon are hardly used, and even if you do, you can't use their STABs on Ghost either.
---
#7JoJoX200Posted 9/15/2013 10:11:02 AM
Faust_8 posted...
Granted, I forgot that Normal Pokemon can swap in on a Ghost attack no problem, however typically Normal Pokemon are hardly used, and even if you do, you can't use their STABs on Ghost either.

They aren't in Gen 5. They likely will be if their specialties are needed. Normal was great in RBY, iirc. If the type gets revived, all the better. Also, Normal shines by having the greatest movepools of all pokemon besides Mew. It'll be no problem hitting anything for SE.
---
http://jojodee.deviantart.com/ -- Fakemons and other stuff
#8EdwardoMario16Posted 9/15/2013 10:24:03 AM
Until Ghosts start getting 600+ BST Pokemon like Dragon has, they won't be too difficult to manage.

The Only Offensive Ghost threat is Gengar, and while he's very good, he's not Uber-quality.
---
This is the worst bird yet.
White 2 FC: 3483 0523 8765
#9Hierarchy225Posted 9/15/2013 10:28:39 AM(edited)
It certainly looks like it.

EdwardoMario16 posted...
Until Ghosts start getting 600+ BST Pokemon like Dragon has, they won't be too difficult to manage.

The Only Offensive Ghost threat is Gengar, and while he's very good, he's not Uber-quality.

Giratina is gonna love this gen.
---
The Official Teeruna of the Pokemon X Board // Power of Friendship is OP
3DS Friend Code 1993-7813-6870
#10gunsndrosesPosted 9/15/2013 10:27:12 AM
I have a very, very good feeling (and I'm excited) that a pseudo-legendary this gen will be a Ghost type.

And it's about damn time.
---
3DS FC: 3153-4286-2384
For an impenetrable shield, stand inside yourself.-Henry David Thoreau