This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

starter typing theory

#21Mewtwo_soulPosted 9/15/2013 6:28:38 PM
@Coxydon

Except it won't really matter? Typing doesn't really make that big a deal in starters since Gen 4.

Infernape crushed the other two with ease thanks to destroying Grass, and punishing Steel. (In other words Grass starter and Water starter had disadvantages) so I don't think that's a real meaningful point.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#22Zarren364Posted 9/15/2013 6:30:06 PM
jayman7 posted...
swordsman126 posted...
I'm inclined to agree with the OP at this point. Especially when you take into consideration the original Pokebeach leak had them listed as Fire/Psychic, Grass/Fighting, and Water/Dark. Only later did the source come back and change it to Grass/Dark and Water/Fighting, saying he had them mixed up. So far this leak has been spot on, so the odds seem really good. And how do you misremember something as important as the starter types? Especially when you look at all the little details he got perfect (even most of the spellings were right). Sounds to me like he was just trying to toss in a little misinformation to take the heat off.

An interesting theory, but given all the correct information we received after the correction? (And we can't know what order Pokebeach got it.) Heck, it could have been Pokebeach's mistake, not the leaker's. And all the inconsistencies between the leak and reality so far can be easily explained by simple human error (typos, switching the Mewtwo forms, and writing "Psychic" instead of, most likely, "Poison").

The correction could have been deliberately misleading, but it seems off. And if it was a real correction, then the first version is almost assuredly wrong - the correction was too deliberate.

Anyway, TC's biggest problem is that he doesn't like the idea of a double triangle in the starters, but we've had a double triangle (sorta) in the starters once before (in the fourth gen - Empoleon had to fall back on Ice to complete it, but thanks to Torterra's double weakness, he did more damage than the rest of the triangle, and ice on a penguin is not a reach at all.) So don't "like" it all you want, but we have precedent.

It should also be noted that Empoleon got Drill Peck as well. Other than that I agree with all of this
---
I am the Anti-troll. Your poll needs a bacon option.
GLAD GANG l SSS l No.XII l OPBC-Wargle I R - Zarren
#23jayman7Posted 9/15/2013 6:31:23 PM
Zarren364 posted...
jayman7 posted...
swordsman126 posted...
I'm inclined to agree with the OP at this point. Especially when you take into consideration the original Pokebeach leak had them listed as Fire/Psychic, Grass/Fighting, and Water/Dark. Only later did the source come back and change it to Grass/Dark and Water/Fighting, saying he had them mixed up. So far this leak has been spot on, so the odds seem really good. And how do you misremember something as important as the starter types? Especially when you look at all the little details he got perfect (even most of the spellings were right). Sounds to me like he was just trying to toss in a little misinformation to take the heat off.

An interesting theory, but given all the correct information we received after the correction? (And we can't know what order Pokebeach got it.) Heck, it could have been Pokebeach's mistake, not the leaker's. And all the inconsistencies between the leak and reality so far can be easily explained by simple human error (typos, switching the Mewtwo forms, and writing "Psychic" instead of, most likely, "Poison").

The correction could have been deliberately misleading, but it seems off. And if it was a real correction, then the first version is almost assuredly wrong - the correction was too deliberate.

Anyway, TC's biggest problem is that he doesn't like the idea of a double triangle in the starters, but we've had a double triangle (sorta) in the starters once before (in the fourth gen - Empoleon had to fall back on Ice to complete it, but thanks to Torterra's double weakness, he did more damage than the rest of the triangle, and ice on a penguin is not a reach at all.) So don't "like" it all you want, but we have precedent.

It should also be noted that Empoleon got Drill Peck as well. Other than that I agree with all of this

Fair enough. It's just... Drill Peck only did 2x damage to Torterra, when all of the STAB moves hitting weaknesses did 3x damage and Ice Beam on Torterra did 4x.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#24TyranidomegaPosted 9/15/2013 6:38:13 PM
Yeah I have to disagree with TC too. IMO a reverse triangle would make things more interesting. Having the starters double effective against eachother would be boring. Basically, do I wanna use Surf on Fenniken, or Crunch? I'd like it to be like: I'm going up against Froakie, and while any of its water attacks could cripple me, a well placed Psychic should even the odds(Fenniken vs Froakie)
---
Official hot fudge sundae of the IDF
Official Hydreigon of the Pokemon B/W 2 Boards.
#25sparkauraPosted 9/15/2013 9:12:05 PM
A 1v1 between the starters isn't that important though, as pokemon is a team based game. Speed is key in this situation but so is every other stat. For example, lets assume chespins final evo becomes part dark and froakies part fighting. Froakie is fast but its defensive stats arent too great while chespin is slow but it has some defense and a great attack stat. Froakie attacks does a lot with its STAB fighting move but chespin survives and proceeds to 1HKO froakie. Of course this situation is based of assumptions but I hope I got my point across. Every stat matters in this situation not just speed, you can single out one stat when the other stats are playing apart in this same scenario.
---
"Every party has a pooper thats why they invited you party pooper party pooperrrrrrr"- Super Kami Guru
#26RAcastBlasterPosted 9/15/2013 9:22:46 PM
sparkaura posted...
A 1v1 between the starters isn't that important though, as pokemon is a team based game. Speed is key in this situation but so is every other stat. For example, lets assume chespins final evo becomes part dark and froakies part fighting. Froakie is fast but its defensive stats arent too great while chespin is slow but it has some defense and a great attack stat. Froakie attacks does a lot with its STAB fighting move but chespin survives and proceeds to 1HKO froakie. Of course this situation is based of assumptions but I hope I got my point across. Every stat matters in this situation not just speed, you can single out one stat when the other stats are playing apart in this same scenario.

And that's not even factoring in who ends up getting Priority moves! If Chespin ends up a Dark type, it wouldn't shock me if it got Sucker Punch, but Froakie could also get Mach Punch/Aqua Jet.

Only time will really tell.
---
Currently playing: MMZCollection, Pokemon Black 2 [2538 3598 3001], FE:Awakening, Xenoblade Chronicles, 3DS FC: 2277-7562-5299
#27Mcis1979Posted 9/15/2013 9:37:02 PM
GRass/Steel, Fire/Psychic, Water/Flying.

Froakies bubbles look like a pilot scarf and his eyes look like aviator goggles. Rain clouds are covering him, hes a tree frog, rain forest covered up by rain clouds. I was saying Grass/fairy bc of how plump quiladin is like jigglypuff and paladins use white magic also its entry states it hates to fight but with someone earlier stating all other translations have armor its obvious this guy will be steel.