This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

do u sometimes want to just play like a kid?

#11fallenKlNGPosted 9/16/2013 5:37:33 AM(edited)
When I was a kid, I gave every Pokemon terrible movesets featuring 3 moves of the same type. I played Silver when I was in 3rd Grade and my Typhlosion had Ember, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, and Cut. The logic behind this was "sometimes I wanna hit em hard with Fire Blast, sometimes I wanna hit em normally, and sometimes their health is low or they're weak enough to die with a weak Ember attack so I don't gotta waste the bigger attacks. Then I need a normal attack like Cut, and I need it so I can cut those trees." Also, I pumped all the experience points into my starter so I'd have a full team, but everyone would be somewhere between 20-35 levels behind my starter near the end of the game. I kept a Noctowl as a Flash/Fly HM slave as well. Damn, I was a stupid kid.

When 3rd gen came out, I was in 5th grade. I had wisened up by then, and I had a perfectly balanced team. I over-grinded to the point that I could beat a gym leader with a Pokemon that's weak against the gym leader's type. It got to the point where playing started feeling more like a chore than a game. I was too stupid to realize this though.

Now that I'm an adult, I can play the game in a manner that maximizes the fun. I do some of the stuff that I did as a kid, but I've improved on it. I still use an HM slave so I don't have to waste them on my other Pokes, and so that I wouldn't have to grind as much with 5 teammates each getting more exp individually than 6 teammates would. I still have my starter a few levels ahead of the rest of my team, but only by 4-5 levels. Finally, I still have a well balanced team and I level grind when needed, but not nearly as much as before.

So in the end, I still do play this game like I did as a kid, but I just do it in a smarter manner.
---
3DS Friend Code: 2449-4639-6561
#12Infinity_XPosted 9/18/2013 3:45:34 AM
I have been playing the same since '98. If EV's are more visual than MAYBE I'll give a damn. But generally, I don't.

I assume that's what playing like a child means; ignoring IV's, EV's and other things that I lack the patience to abuse.
#13NessEggmanPosted 9/18/2013 3:50:56 AM
lol yeah... as a kid my movesets were like... Alakazam with HM Flash, Recover, Pysbeam, and Psychic.

And then I remembred how much I hated having Flash so the next game, it was Recover, Confusion, Psybeam, and Psychic!!! LOL
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
3DS FC: 2750 1911 5515