This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hypothetical Scenario: Instead of 6 Pokemon with 4 moves each...

#1Twilight_SonataPosted 9/16/2013 6:01:16 AM
We are allowed only 4 Pokemon but with with up to 6 moves each.
Pokemon can only learn attacks of up to 3 different types. They could have more than 3 attacks, of course, but they would have to duplicate types. They can also have more than 3 different types of moves, of course, but only counting status moves. This limits coverage.
HMs are not a thing. Whether they are replaced by key items (Swimsuit for Surf, Lantern for Flash, etc.) or whatever else is irrelevant. The point is that you don't have to carry around HM slaves.

This isn't a suggestion or speculation on what could be done with a future game. Rather, I'm curious how you think the series might have developed differently given these changes. Would other changes need to be included? For example, would routes need to be shorter or Potions made less expensive because of the lower total HP of the party?

I was wondering about why we have the numbers that we do, 6 Pokemon with 4 moves each. They seem so arbitrary. The numbers could easily have been different. Why do you think those were the numbers chosen, and do you think that the game could have worked just as well with any other numbers?
#2JiriliciousPosted 9/16/2013 6:02:56 AM
I like the way it is now. I don't know why they chose those numbers specifically, but they work, so why change it, or even speculate if it was different?
---
Black 2 FC: Krystal - 4427 9698 9639
#3Twilight_Sonata(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 6:04:48 AM
Jirilicious posted...
Why change it, or even speculate if it was different?

Curiosity and boredom, mostly. =P
#4DunnoBroPosted 9/16/2013 6:11:58 AM
That might've worked for gens 1/2. But now it would make pokemon too dependent on movepools, and versatility. That's always good and shouldn't be discouraged, but linear and specialized pokemon shouldn't be punished.

6 moves provides way too much coverage, certain pokemon would be able to SE just about everything.

5 pokemon with 5 moves would probably be perfect, in the sense of giving every pokemon exactly what it needs. But we don't want perfect in that sense, we want players to really think about what they need. Not what they might want. 6/4 is best.
---
>Implying I don't actually know
3DS FC: 3308 4781 6052
#5Twilight_Sonata(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 6:14:18 AM
DunnoBro posted...
6 moves provides way too much coverage, certain pokemon would be able to SE just about everything.

I addressed that in the OP and how to fix it. =)
#6Twilight_Sonata(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 2:06:30 PM
Bump 'cause I feel like it.