This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How would you react if every type got a Stealth Rock type-move?

#11SammuthegreatPosted 9/16/2013 1:31:19 PM
WobbuffetGod posted...
If they can be stacked.... the game just got broke.

So, assuming they cannot and they are mutually exclusive... this would be fantastic. Hazards are a huge part of competitive Pokemon. I personally think they are a great addition and add a level of strategy to the game. The problem with Stealth Rock is that there is only the one and that is is typed damage. Either by itself is not bad, but when those two qualities are together, it causes some Pokemon to be hurt significantly more than others.

With many types of mutually exclusive hazards, each team can choose the type that helps them most. Rather than sun teams using a move that cripples opposing fire types that they don't mind so much, they can run a Grass Hazard to damage Rain and Sand starters. Every team would pick the hazard that helps them most, and individual Pokemon who are currently killed by SR would get new life as the fraction of teams using the moves that cripples them specifically would drop dramatically. Overall the hazards culture would still exist, but no individual would be ridiculously hampered by it in the metagame as a whole.

This is a great response. If there's a version for every type, then no type is safe by default and usage would spread throughout the types. That way no single type would become an automatic liability either.

The other versions wouldn't necessarily have to be exact replicas, some could lower stats on entry or cause status conditions like Toxic Spikes. A bit of imagination could do wonders here.

Ultimately I can't believe that anyone thinks Stealth Rock's crazy power is actually good for the game. I get that people can accept it, but actively support it? I'm yet to see a convincing argument for that.

Spread the love Gamefreak.
#12Archwing3441Posted 9/16/2013 1:31:32 PM
WobbuffetGod posted...

So, assuming they cannot and they are mutually exclusive... this would be fantastic. Hazards are a huge part of competitive Pokemon. I personally think they are a great addition and add a level of strategy to the game. The problem with Stealth Rock is that there is only the one and that is is typed damage. Either by itself is not bad, but when those two qualities are together, it causes some Pokemon to be hurt significantly more than others.

With many types of mutually exclusive hazards, each team can choose the type that helps them most. Rather than sun teams using a move that cripples opposing fire types that they don't mind so much, they can run a Grass Hazard to damage Rain and Sand starters. Every team would pick the hazard that helps them most, and individual Pokemon who are currently killed by SR would get new life as the fraction of teams using the moves that cripples them specifically would drop dramatically. Overall the hazards culture would still exist, but no individual would be ridiculously hampered by it in the metagame as a whole.

huh.. that's actually a good point... I'm going with yes but no stacking like this guy :D
---
Nintendo? PlayStation? no...
http://mangafox.me/manga/mel_kano/v03/c016/27.html
#13HermeticJusticePosted 9/16/2013 1:32:29 PM
MrFingers07 posted...
Estheimaster posted...
Between Ice SR and Fairy Pokemon, the Dragon type will go extinct. Even the mighty Garchomp will be brought to his knees.

Between Poison SR and Steel Pokemon, the Fairy type will go extinct. Even the mighty Gardevoir will be brought to her knees.

I'd like to Gardevoir brought to her knees

If you know what I mean
---
The Official Kerberos of the SMT IV Board + Friend Code: 4983 - 6166 - 9895
QVODSVPERIVS.MACROPROSOPVS + QVODINFERIVS.MICROPROSOPVS
#14COLL1NPosted 9/16/2013 1:34:33 PM
I can see them making a fire typed one. Like burning coals that burn the pokemon.

Maybe ice ones as well? would be a little op. Riolu would Meow you to death...
#15IVIasterJayPosted 9/16/2013 1:36:48 PM
WobbuffetGod posted...

This is exactly what would happen. And Rapid Spin would be a necessity on any pokemon that can get it.
#16calender68Posted 9/16/2013 1:37:06 PM
what would bug type stealth rock look like? A swarm of bees? And how bout water type? BUBBLESSSSSSS
---
FC: 3110-4507-4617, Name: Steven, Town: Hoenn
Dream Address: 5700-2506-3500. Come visit if you wanna see Hoenn!
#17Unbridled9(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 6:22:41 PM
Fire: Hot coals that inflicts med-light damage and burn.

Fighting: Pokemon gets an automatic fighting-type attack against change-ins?

Water: ****ING BUBBLES!

Flying: A windstorm that gains power against flying-types?

Grass: Thorns. Maybe some extra damage to faster mons?

Poison: Auto-toxic upon entry. Maybe just poisoned.

Electric: Auto-paralize upon entry.

Ground: Spikes. Maybe a bit more damage though.

Psychic: Medium damage and boosts the next attacks accuracy by several levels?

Rock: Stealth Rock. No changes except maybe a minor damage reduction.

Ice: A snowstorm. Low damage and a chance to freeze mons.

Bug: BEES! Medium damage and a chance to poison.

Dragon: Ummm... I got nothing.

Ghost: Possession! Upon entry the mon will use one random attack as if it was on your team.

Dark: Field of Darkness. Auto-flinches the first move of a mon as well as giving a damage-boost against all enemies that got flinched.

Steel: A freaking steel wall! Mons start off with a -attack/special attack stat equal to three or so. Every turn it lets up one level until normal status is restored, but if it goes over 3 at any point, it becomes like normal.

Fairy: Every time a mon enters the field, your mons regain a bit of health equal to 1/8th of their life-bar.
---
Math with Vi!
My 2 fists - 1 of your face = 1 dead foe.
#18JustinTheJaggedPosted 9/16/2013 6:24:42 PM
Somewhere between complete apathy and mild amusement.
---
Gamer for life, 32 years and counting.
A life without video games is not a life worth living.
#19HermeticJusticePosted 9/16/2013 8:42:20 PM
I would return this game, and under reasons why, I'd check broken
---
The Official Kerberos of the SMT IV Board + Friend Code: 4983 - 6166 - 9895
QVODSVPERIVS.MACROPROSOPVS + QVODINFERIVS.MICROPROSOPVS
#20COLL1NPosted 9/16/2013 8:44:14 PM
Hazardmons