This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How would you react if every type got a Stealth Rock type-move?

#21Unbridled9(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 10:23:56 PM
Well, as mentioned, so long as they don't end up stacking, it wouldn't be broken, and the variety would be very nice to be sure. Would make it more interesting than the Stealth Rock domination that is going on right now.
---
Math with Vi!
My 2 fists - 1 of your face = 1 dead foe.
#22Mewtwo_soulPosted 9/17/2013 10:26:54 PM
Even without stacking I think it would end up getting to become too dominant. (More so than EH already are) and could end up banned, unless a new Rapid-Spin esque attack (with an element or more than one move) come into creation. If so, hopefully one with priority.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#23RDS1Posted 9/17/2013 11:21:54 PM
I'd want more and better hazard-clearing moves even more, because how willing I am to put up with the metagame is directly related to the number of hoops I have to jump through to even think about using Shedinja.
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)
#24Mewtwo_soulPosted 9/17/2013 11:25:31 PM
RDS1 posted...
I'd want more and better hazard-clearing moves even more, because how willing I am to put up with the metagame is directly related to the number of hoops I have to jump through to even think about using Shedinja.

Heck without taking into consideration Shedninja, many types could easily become a 50/50 chance of instantly becoming useless, if your opponent has the EH that can hit a majority for 4X damage (or whatever damage subset it would do based on elemental weakness in regards to 2X/4X.)

On paper people think an EH of Ice type would be balanced, or Fighting type, or etc. Until it actually came into existence, then the nightmares would begin.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#25LenneValkiryePosted 9/18/2013 2:11:33 AM
Stealth Frost.
Stealth Frost everywhere.
#26jibbjabbPosted 9/18/2013 2:51:03 AM
WobbuffetGod posted...
If they can be stacked.... the game just got broke.

So, assuming they cannot and they are mutually exclusive... this would be fantastic. Hazards are a huge part of competitive Pokemon. I personally think they are a great addition and add a level of strategy to the game. The problem with Stealth Rock is that there is only the one and that is is typed damage. Either by itself is not bad, but when those two qualities are together, it causes some Pokemon to be hurt significantly more than others.

I considered this for a while, then it occured to me. You aren't reducing the use of Stealth Rock that much by adding other types. Just potentially encouraging the use of those over Stealth Rock.

For moves, it's all about offensive features. Most of the moves designed defensively are played little. Types on the pokemon that are defensive are good. So if you had a Bug stealth rock, an ice steal rock, and a flying stealth rock, the Ice stealth Rock

In order for Stealth Rock to be balanced, I'd start by removing their ability to stack. This topic shows to some degree why. As for Stealth Rock, remove it's type effectiveness and change the damage set up to hit types it'd be effective against for a static 25% and hits all other types for 10%. Then add a two to three more.
#27SammuthegreatPosted 9/18/2013 3:06:09 AM
jibbjabb posted...
WobbuffetGod posted...

So, assuming they cannot and they are mutually exclusive... this would be fantastic. Hazards are a huge part of competitive Pokemon. I personally think they are a great addition and add a level of strategy to the game. The problem with Stealth Rock is that there is only the one and that is is typed damage. Either by itself is not bad, but when those two qualities are together, it causes some Pokemon to be hurt significantly more than others.

I considered this for a while, then it occured to me. You aren't reducing the use of Stealth Rock that much by adding other types. Just potentially encouraging the use of those over Stealth Rock.
*snip*

I think the bolded bit is the important thing some people are missing. As long as the other options are useful, then every instance where an alternative to SR is used means one less usage of SR as well. And every instance where SR is not used means types that are Rock-weak will be that little bit more viable.

The fact is at the moment anything weak to Rock has an automatic disadvantage. It's not a question of making EVERY type have inherent weaknesses, it's more a case of balancing it so those Rock-weak Pokémon have something to hit back with. Otherwise the whole balance is horribly skewed by one move, which is ridiculously bad design.
#28SuprSaiyanRockrPosted 9/18/2013 4:27:24 AM
Sammuthegreat posted...
jibbjabb posted...
WobbuffetGod posted...

*snip*

I think the bolded bit is the important thing some people are missing. As long as the other options are useful, then every instance where an alternative to SR is used means one less usage of SR as well. And every instance where SR is not used means types that are Rock-weak will be that little bit more viable.

The fact is at the moment anything weak to Rock has an automatic disadvantage. It's not a question of making EVERY type have inherent weaknesses, it's more a case of balancing it so those Rock-weak Pokémon have something to hit back with. Otherwise the whole balance is horribly skewed by one move, which is ridiculously bad design.

Pretty much. Mon's like Volcarana, Charizard (yeah, yeah, I know) and Ho-oh shouldn't be automatically less viable because of one move.

If it allowed different typing, that would still be a little annoying, admittedly, but more balanced.
---
GT/PSN: SuprSaiyanRockr
Efficiency>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nostalgia. Always.
#29MirMirosPosted 9/18/2013 4:40:08 AM
I couldn't care less. I don't do competitive battle, so even if the whole "metagame" got ruined it wouldn't phase me one bit.
#30NessEggmanPosted 9/18/2013 4:42:11 AM
I'd rather SR get a mild nerf rather than all types getting one. Then competitive would be nothing but entry hazards -_-; Like, I realize most teams have them now, but like EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. would. That is boring.

But if they just added a bug SR that's okay. Idk what it would be though. Maybe some kind of spider webs or something...
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
3DS FC: 2750 1911 5515