This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

you know what? i actually hope the grass starter is grass rock

#31Sloth9230Posted 9/16/2013 8:19:25 PM
jayman7 posted...
Sloth9230 posted...
jayman7 posted...
Sloth9230 posted...
Nothing about Blastoise suggest that it is in fact a tortoise, aside from his name.

Tortoises have legs. Turtles (true turtles) have flippers, like Tirtouga.

No.

No what? No, you're too lazy to look it up? No, the fact that I'm actually agreeing with someone that I disagreed with elsewhere in this topic doesn't make sense to you? No, and here's a million dollars?

Turtle as a scientific term applies to Tortoises, Sea Turtles, Terrapins (Turtles that live in Water that's salty but not as salty as the ocean), and any aquatic turtle in general whether it has webbed feet or flippers.

The Red Eared Slider I owned as a child was not a tortoise just because it lacked flippers >.>
#32jayman7Posted 9/16/2013 8:36:58 PM
Sloth9230 posted...
Turtle as a scientific term applies to Tortoises, Sea Turtles, Terrapins (Turtles that live in Water that's salty but not as salty as the ocean), and any aquatic turtle in general whether it has webbed feet or flippers.

The Red Eared Slider I owned as a child was not a tortoise just because it lacked flippers >.>

Red-eared sliders are terrapins.

Blastoise... I can see the argument for him being a terrapin, but Water-type or no, how often is he depicted as swimming? I can definitely see why one would say that "tortoise" is the correct term.

It's true, the word "turtle" is often used to refer to all shelled reptiles, even in scientific contexts. I was just explaining why Reapette wasn't wrong to call Blastoise a tortoise, and why the "no tortoise-like traits" was nonsense.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#33LexifoxPosted 9/16/2013 8:41:13 PM
this is a topic
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#34Sloth9230Posted 9/16/2013 8:48:22 PM
jayman7 posted...

Red-eared sliders are terrapins and therefore turtles.

Yes.

jayman7 posted...
Blastoise... I can see the argument for him being a terrapin, but Water-type or no, how often is he depicted as swimming? I can definitely see why one would say that "tortoise" is the correct term.

It's true, the word "turtle" is often used to refer to all shelled reptiles, even in scientific contexts. I was just explaining why Reapette wasn't wrong to call Blastoise a tortoise, and why the "no tortoise-like traits" was nonsense.

Yeah, neither of us actually knew what we we're talking about earlier. This is probably why we were arguing.

Anyway, the original point i was trying to make was that elemental typing has no bearing on what kind of creature a pokemon actually is. Charizard could easily be a dragon without having an affinity for the dragon typing.