This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mega Garchomp is secretly a nerf

#1Doctor_SpankyPosted 9/17/2013 12:42:21 PM
Garchomp is as hellishly powerful as it is because of its speed stat. Mega Garchomp's reduced speed reduces its utility as a sweeper. Now that Mega Pokemon are a thing, normal Garchomp probably won't be as viable. Of course we don't know specific numbers yet; obvious conjecture is obvious

TL;DR:

Normal Garchomp is less viable now that Mega Pokemon exist

Mega Garchomp's speed makes it less viable as a sweeper

Garchomp = nerfed
#2SorrowOfAcheronPosted 9/17/2013 12:43:17 PM
That's a pretty good point.
---
GamerTag: SorrowOfAcheron
Roy (Awakening DLC appearance & unique moveset), Anna/Lucina and Matthew & Sveta (Golden Sun) for Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS
#3SimmiekinsPosted 9/17/2013 12:43:35 PM
This topic is new AND exciting, thank you for this brilliant competitive analysis that has been otherwise unheard of.
---
Eh-heh...
#4EstheimasterPosted 9/17/2013 12:44:16 PM
ITT: Mega Pokémon will not let regular Pokémon be viable anymore.
---
The Official Bulbasaur of Pokemon X's board
Bowser Jr, T Zelda, Ridley, Palutena, Pittoo, Isaac, Shulk, Mewtwo, Robin, Balloon Fight, Crono, Mii, Megaman, Neku
#5Octaivian_RexPosted 9/17/2013 12:45:04 PM
We have basically the same topic on the same page. Use the search next time, or maybe even your eyes.
---
http://picasion.com/resize70/8cd5a09ffb091458e8b25ab5cf41c108.gif
#6WobbuffetGodPosted 9/17/2013 12:46:36 PM
The problem with this assumption (which I have been seeing all over the internet) is that it assumes Mega Garchomp must play the exact same role as regular Garchomp. Just judging by what we know, statistically, it is a lot more likely to work like Black Kyurem than regular garchomp. It is very possible that Mega Chomp could be a powerful tank, rather than a sweeper at all, and still be good.
#7Doctor_Spanky(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 12:47:00 PM
Octaivian_Rex posted...
We have basically the same topic on the same page. Use the search next time, or maybe even your eyes.

Meh. Saw the other thread, it doesn't mention how the megagame affects normal Garchomp. My point isn't that Mega Garchomp sucks, it's that Garchomp overall is less useful
#8JoJoX200Posted 9/17/2013 12:49:06 PM
I fail to see how regular Garchomp will not be viable just because it got a mega. If you listed other reasons, like standing no chance against other megas in its normal form or having trouble with fairies(can't see that happening for Chomp of all things), then you'd have a point, but as it is, no.

Mega Garchomp just becomes more of a nuke. If you can blast one key member of the opposing team into oblivion, that's good, imo. And its not like Darmanitan was terrible with its average speed and fearsome power.
---
http://jojodee.deviantart.com/ -- Fakemons and other stuff
#9jayman7Posted 9/17/2013 12:49:19 PM
You know, you could just not give Garchomp any Garchompite... It's not like his speed will be at all hampered when in standard mode.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#10Doctor_Spanky(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 12:50:51 PM
JoJoX200 posted...
I fail to see how regular Garchomp will not be viable just because it got a mega. If you listed other reasons, like standing no chance against other megas in its normal form or having trouble with fairies(can't see that happening for Chomp of all things), then you'd have a point, but as it is, no.

I did mention this. Obviously this thread is conjecture

JoJoX200 posted...
Mega Garchomp just becomes more of a nuke. If you can blast one key member of the opposing team into oblivion, that's good, imo. And its not like Darmanitan was terrible with its average speed and fearsome power.

Yeah at the very least I think its role will change