This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Distinct gym leader pokemon

#1airsoft246Posted 9/17/2013 12:46:53 PM
Does anyone else ever get the feeling that a gym leader isn't that special after awhile? Like if you're fighting a 2nd gen gym leader, as an example, do u feel like fighting Whitney's miltank was just like fighting any other miltank, not HER miltank?

I thought it'd be a cool idea if the show introduced the gym leaders with specific marking on their pokemon, like a scar or different style, and the games had you battle them looking that way. It would feel like the gym battles are more unique, anyone else agree?
---
~~Official *Cloud* of the Kingdom Hearts 3 Board~~
#2SimmiekinsPosted 9/17/2013 12:49:52 PM
I'm happy enough if they have their "big" Pokemon before you can see it anywhere else in the game, makes it feel badass enough.
---
Eh-heh...
#3bakkahentai8600Posted 9/17/2013 12:57:43 PM
Personally, I always felt that Gym Leaders, the Elite Four, Champions, and rivals should nickname their Pokemon.
---
Previously the_sage2600
I'm baaaacccckkkkk
#4H-L-WPosted 9/17/2013 1:08:53 PM
Yea, I mean they are the 'boss battles' of Pokemon. Making them a bit more distinguished from regular Pokemon would be a nice touch.
---
Pokemon Black Version FC: 1506 5124 1112
Pokemon Black Version 2 FC: 1636 2111 7801
#5MissCarriagePosted 9/17/2013 1:10:47 PM
Simmiekins posted...
I'm happy enough if they have their "big" Pokemon before you can see it anywhere else in the game, makes it feel badass enough.

This. Gym leaders all have their main Pokemon shown before you can find them in the wild yourself.

Except for Falkner... Oh Falkner...
---
Love me long time.
#6airsoft246(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 5:22:33 PM
But you can also get those "big" pokemon in the game at some point. If theyre the boss battles of the game, its about beating them, not about being able to have exactly what they have. Nicknames and distinct style differences would be welcome.
---
~~Official *Cloud* of the Kingdom Hearts 3 Board~~
#7gamester_12345Posted 9/17/2013 8:19:57 PM
Personally, i think a Gym Leader's Signature Pokemon is only notable, if its a Pokemon that isn't able to be caught except for a few towns later, i mean Miltank is what? 2-3 towns away from Goldenrod..

Can't really recall that many signature Pokemon of gym leaders except for possibly Bugsy's Scyther or something, rather than gym leaders who only has Pokemon you've already seen or is in a route nearby..
---
RSN: Plucky9, Total: 2444. KoL: Plucky, currently a Pastamancer
ACNL/3DS FC: 4897-5920-6758 Ricky of Farm
#8themagicpainmanPosted 9/17/2013 8:21:33 PM
Personally, i think a Gym Leader's Signature Pokemon is only notable, if its a Pokemon that isn't able to be caught except for a few towns later, i mean Miltank is what? 2-3 towns away from Goldenrod..

Not even, the next town.
---
"Combine Cloak and Dagger with Boots of Swiftness so CC doesn't stop you from moving faster toward defeat." - Frost_shock_FTW
#9mudballmanPosted 9/17/2013 8:25:50 PM
gamester_12345 posted...

Can't really recall that many signature Pokemon of gym leaders except for possibly Bugsy's Scyther or something, rather than gym leaders who only has Pokemon you've already seen or is in a route nearby..

That's why I loved maylene and her Lucario. It built up hype until you got it later on
---
Official Nidoking of pokemon x and y boards!
3ds friend code: 2852 7690 5645 White 2 fc: 2538 5836 3049
#10javel34Posted 9/17/2013 8:28:46 PM
themagicpainman posted...

Not even, the next town.

Her Miltank is notable in other ways.

Like curbstombing.

I like the concept of gym leaders maining a certain pokemon.
---
Black 2 FC: 3569 1730 6208 She would return every so often. Her lips tasted like tragedy, but he could never forget her. How could he when she was always near?