This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are Nintendo and Game Freak intentionally discouraging competitive Pokemon play?

#1DarkKirby2500Posted 9/18/2013 12:22:17 PM
In Your Opinion - Are Nintendo and Game Freak intentionally discouraging competitive Pokemon play? - Results (195 votes)
Yes. They consciously design the game to discourage competitive play.
6.15% (12 votes)
No. They want people to play Pokemon competitively and try their best to make a fair, balanced game.
35.9% (70 votes)
They are not intentionally discouraging competitive play but put little to no effort into supporting it.
28.72% (56 votes)
They are not intentionally discouraging competitive play but have no understanding of how the game is played.
8.72% (17 votes)
They want people to play Pokemon competitively despite it's unfair mechanics and lack of balance.
12.31% (24 votes)
Other - Post opinion.
8.21% (16 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Keep in mind, Pokemon is advertised to be allowed to the played competitively, even if the mechanics, many would say, discourage it.

Also I want to note, if you follow enough competitive game communities, you will see that a large majority of game developers have little to no idea of how the game they designed is played outside of a basic level, which leads to often strange and uninformed balance decisions, if balance patches are made.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#2Zero97Posted 9/18/2013 12:23:49 PM
such extremes, voting other.
---
3DS: 0173-1416-4513
NNID: Zero97
#3uuurrrgghPosted 9/18/2013 12:24:36 PM
Seeing how they've admitted Dragons are OP and need a nerf, I don't think they're conspiring to take down competitive. Just a few tweaks here and there, so things don't get over-centralized and people can be creative in their sets.
---
Apparently, I'm nobody.
B2 FC: 3010 5891 4441
#4kaonohiokalaPosted 9/18/2013 12:27:03 PM
They want people to play Pokemon competitively despite its unfair mechanics and lack of balance.

VGC is a thing. Then again Spore + broken sleep mechanics is also a thing + etc.
---
"I am champion of Bellator. I am face of Bellator now. Who want with belt? Come on with cage. I am beat you. -Alexander Shlemenko
#5Hierarchy225Posted 9/18/2013 12:27:11 PM
I'm pretty sure they make a good amount of money from those annual VGC tournaments.

So no, I doubt they want to discourage competitive.
---
The Official Teeruna of the Pokemon X Board // Power of Friendship is OP
3DS Friend Code 1993-7813-6870
#6Tigo73Posted 9/18/2013 12:28:51 PM
I donīt see how this is a thing. They make VGC every year, and, like another poster mentioned, they specifically mentioned wanting to prevert Dragons from being overcentralizing with fairy-types. If anything, they are encouraging it.
---
The man who will steal your candles.
Official Omoikane of the SMT IV board.
#7nonoobsfriendsPosted 9/18/2013 12:35:50 PM
To say gamefreak is discouraging competitive play is ridiculous.

Just the fact that there are so many moves and abilities which are pointless to have on pokemon in a normal runthrough of the game and the fact that EVs and IVs and pokerus exist, although IVs are dumb, also proves that theyre aware of the competitive scene and design some aspects of the game for it.

Maybe theyre unaware of or dont know how OP some stuff is like sleep, but saying the games really unbalanced and gamefreak does poor balancing is ridiculous, i think some people are unaware of how difficult it is to balance a game with so many different pokemon and abilities and typings.

One game id agree with that nintendo *AHEM* sakurai is unaware of and discourages competitively is Super Smash Bros. But judging off interviews and all sakurai seems well aware now and just doesnt seem to like how far melee got with competitive play is all.
#8DarkKirby2500(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 12:41:21 PM(edited)
nonoobsfriends posted...
One game id agree with that nintendo *AHEM* sakurai is unaware of and discourages competitively is Super Smash Bros. But judging off interviews and all sakurai seems well aware now and just doesnt seem to like how far melee got with competitive play is all.

When someone asked Sakurai about how defensive play in Brawl was boring, Sakurai responded by saying people who care about playing the game optimally and play to win ARE PLAYING THE GAME WRONG.

I still wonder who was behind Nintendo trying to shut down Melee at EVO. I don't think Sakurai has that kind of authority himself. Was it an over zealous copyright legal team, or was it Nintendo trying to have an iron grip on their copyrights, or did they see EVO as advertising Melee as a competitive game, which is not how they want it represented?

---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#9MM125Posted 9/18/2013 12:40:26 PM
Zero97 posted...
such extremes, voting other.

This.
---
Oooh, MM, he be tryin' you, dawg. He be tryin' you. Best mind you biiiiiiiz-ness. ~KMA
*triple z snap* ~AluminumTicket
#10nonoobsfriendsPosted 9/18/2013 12:44:48 PM
DarkKirby2500 posted...
nonoobsfriends posted...

I still wonder who was behind Nintendo trying to shut down Melee at EVO. I don't think Sakurai has that kind of authority himself. Was it an over zealous copyright legal team, or was it Nintendo trying to have an iron grip on their copyrights, or did they see EVO as advertising Melee as a competitive game, which is not how they want it represented?

Yea that wasnt sakurai, probably just nintendos copyright team cause i think they were shutting down some lets play videos on youtube as well, you know how nintendo is, instead of supporting the free advertising they instead try to shut it down.

Oh nintendo.