This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are Nintendo and Game Freak intentionally discouraging competitive Pokemon play?

#21MoonLightCloudPosted 9/18/2013 2:58:16 PM
DarkKirby2500 posted...
Jagus posted...
Citation needed.

http://tinyurl.com/apu8uo8

If there is a problem with the way people play a game, it's the fault of the game's mechanics, not the fault of people who use the tools they've been given optimally. Brawl is slow, and there are more defensive options, that typically favors more defensive play.

Also,

http://tinyurl.com/2c637wd

How exactly was Melee too hardcore? It was fun for casuals, and deep enough for competitive players. That's why it's voted the most popular Smash game!

http://tinyurl.com/oc2xc59

None of those say what you said, and the first link, he's saying that the defensive players are the one's who are playing boring. And by that, it's the players you find online who just stand around and do nothing. I've had plenty of online matches where everyone just stood there and taunted.
---
One of my best friends has a viral video, check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrasQOojFyo
#22acerola-orionPosted 9/18/2013 3:07:42 PM
GF neither encourages or discourages competitive play.

It's obvious that they are not conciously encouraging competitive play, and if they are, they're doing a terrible job of it. It was most likely never their intention for competitive Pokemon to become as big as it is now, but that doesn't mean they're discouraging it. They just never planned for it. After all, competitive Pokemon is an invention by its fans. There is little to nothing in-game that teaches a player how to play competitively.
#23DarkKirby2500(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 3:17:37 PM
MoonLightCloud posted...
None of those say what you said, and the first link, he's saying that the defensive players are the one's who are playing boring. And by that, it's the players you find online who just stand around and do nothing. I've had plenty of online matches where everyone just stood there and taunted.

The article on that website does not include the original letter, but the source on the article does.

http://tinyurl.com/bvly4v4

The issue the person complaining has, is people playing defensively, not people not playing. He's also upset about no items lobbies.

If you understand fighting game mechanics, when a game is slow, often, calculating the spacing for reacting is easier than going on the offensive, you prepare to press a button in reaction to your opponent's approach when he is the right distance at the right angle. Also, the infinite dodging makes it worse.

If the game was faster, it would be easier, to go on the offensive, and pressure your opponent with attacks you are estimating they won't be able to defend properly.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#24MoonLightCloudPosted 9/18/2013 3:22:56 PM
DarkKirby2500 posted...
MoonLightCloud posted...

The article on that website does not include the original letter, but the source on the article does.

http://tinyurl.com/bvly4v4

The issue the person complaining has, is people playing defensively, not people not playing. He's also upset about no items lobbies.

If you understand fighting game mechanics, when a game is slow, often, calculating the spacing for reacting is easier than going on the offensive, you prepare to press a button in reaction to your opponent's approach when he is the right distance at the right angle. Also, the infinite dodging makes it worse.

If the game was faster, it would be easier, to go on the offensive, and pressure your opponent with attacks you are estimating they won't be able to defend properly.

Ahh, much better link, thanks!

And what I meant was, they did nothing until someone else did, and usually this ended up to being no one doing anything, so everyone would eventually start taunting. But yea, I get ya.
---
One of my best friends has a viral video, check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrasQOojFyo
#25vital_tundraPosted 9/18/2013 3:23:35 PM
Unlike Nintendo and Smash Bros. Gamefreak is smart understands what competitive does to benefit the game.
---
3DS friend code: 1848-2159-5405 (Richie)
#26PheonixFFire7Posted 9/18/2013 3:51:09 PM
Gamefreak absolutely encourages competitive play. The problem is that the type of competitive play they're promoting often doesn't align with the type of metagame hardcore competitors have created.

For example, just look at the official banlist. Things like Phione are banned. Why? Not because it's good, but because it's hard to obtain. Gamefreak uses rarity as a banable offense, to create an "even playing field", when rarity is absolutely irrelevant to people playing at the highest level of play. Not to mention their focus on double battles.

They support competition, just the competition style that they created, not the one that we're playing.
#27nonoobsfriendsPosted 9/18/2013 4:46:15 PM
scraadin posted...
I would say that it's safe to say that competitive Smash players and Pokemon players are playing the game wrong. Or at least not the way the game was designed to be played.

There's actually nothing wrong with that, but you get players like TC who can't understand that they've repurposed something that was originally meant for casual play, and has fortunately been designed with enough depth that it can support a competitive scene.

I'm pretty sure when Tajiri first cooked up Pokemon battles, he was just thinking two friends with a link cable at the end of a school day.

It's a bit different now.

Smash? Four buds kicking back on a couch, with items on, because that leads to the most amusing results.

Competitive players probably don't even make up a percent of a percent of the gamers playing Nintendo products, even if they are among the loudest voices in the fanbase.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/no-x-fox-only-final-destination

The majority of the people playing the game would be bored to tears with the type of gameplay you focus on. Nintendo's selling to you, but they're selling to them too.

Competitive pokemon players aren't playing the game "wrong" and i dont even play competitively, except for the sleep clause and other bans and tiers theyre playing the game how it was designed, especially with the use and addition of moves and abilities which would be pretty dumb and useless in a normal playthrough and are only really useful in competitive play.

On the other hand competitive smash (which I do play) seems to be really frowned upon by sakurai, or at least it used to be and thats why he made brawl less competitive than melee was or even 64 was.

He states it and says he wanted smash to be a game without much of a learning curve and one that anyone can pickup and play and enjoy, but i personally dont see what the problem with melee was as many casual and competitive players alike loved it.

And thats where i think gamefreak does a great job in pokemon, it is geared greatly for competitive play otherwise all those pretty much useless berries when used in a casual runthrough wouldnt still exist among other things.

Apparently smash 4 is supposed to be geared more competitively than brawl was but still not as much so as melee, we'll see how that turns out but from what ive seen so far it doesnt look all that much different from brawl and doesnt seem to have what made melee so great competitively (no thats not wavedashing) but anyway ill enjoy the game for what it is just like i did with brawl which was a great game in its own right.
#28CM_PLUNGEPosted 9/18/2013 5:01:22 PM
They have freaking world championships no they aren't.
---
3DS FC: 1547 5213 7769
#29SilverSockPosted 9/18/2013 6:14:15 PM
Of course not. It would not be super intelligent to intentionally alienate a portion of their fan base on purpose. That being said, I doubt sterile competitive play as the online community knows it is their top priority either. I don't think they would discourage it by any means, but I think their focus is a little broader, and as a result it may seem like they aren't catering to some peoples idea of competition, if that makes any sense.
---
3DS FC-2552-1309-1796 Name: Indy