This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does anyone else get annoyed when people call Trainer Red as a Pokemon Master?

#11CedlowPosted 9/18/2013 5:15:39 PM
Red isnt a pokemon master he is a legendary trainer according to what the pwt announcer said. Which sounds better then pokemon master. c:
---
3DS FC- 2981-5785-3794
Pokemon white 2 FC-2838-7906-7636
#12pokemonfreak97Posted 9/19/2013 6:17:31 AM
Yes, but only because people are confusing the games with the anime.

Yes, Cynthia has a technically better team. But Red was the original post-game superboss. In almost every game after GSC, there is a post-game trainer stronger than the Champion. The only games in which this is not true are RS and FRLG. In Emerald there's Steven, in DPPt there's Barry's post-game battle where (in Platinum) he had higher levels than GSC Red, HGSS had Red again, BW had Cynthia and rival rematches, B2W2 had every battle from BW as well as Hugh (who's not really a superboss, but hey) and Benga.
---
Generation (pi)(i).
When you see this, raise e to the generation and add 1. Social experiment.
#1313121987Posted 9/19/2013 6:40:57 AM(edited)
pretty sure red's pokemon has max ivs too.

i heard someone used an ar and caught Pikachu, it was hardy and had max ivs.
#14YamiJustinPosted 9/19/2013 6:43:43 AM
Don't forget the term Pokemon Master has no solid definition. Game Freak was asked years ago (or maybe it was Nintendo) what was a Pokemon Master, and they decided to leave it open to interpretation. Does it mean beating the Pokemon League, or being a master trainer, or truly catching them all? It's one of those things that will be up for debate. I don't think Red caught them all, but he is a masterful trainer, and is the only one in Kanto or Johto able to have his Pokemon reach the highest levels.
#15erekwashere15Posted 9/19/2013 6:49:24 AM
In regards to the games, I throw out what little canon is established and insert my own.

I mean, I played as them. I caught the Pokemon, I fought the battles, I am the Pokemon Master, but like in real life, I wasn't able to choose their true name.

In regards to other Pokemon media, no, it does not bother me at all.
---
Winner of ares9090's Slaking Award
#16MaplesGrandGMPosted 9/19/2013 8:11:29 AM
True Story: The more you say, "I don't even like..." the less people believe you. You love Cynthia, and you want Cynthia to be more popular than Red.

This, however, cannot be. Red is the original. Red has nostalgic support. Red has a manga that shows he's even more badass than people who have only played the games, even realize.

Red, wasn't just the silent protagonist, bringing down the original Team Rocket, and becoming a Champion, he then became a badass, final battle, no explanation, beat him, or you'll never be his equal, silent antagonist to Gold. He has since come back multiple times, as a trainer, considered to be one of the best, for you to defeat, while he remained epicly silent.

The World Tournament is home to the best Pokemon trainers, Red is in this tournament. Red is still considered one of the best Pokemon trainers in the world, still using his original team, with Espeon and Lapras switch (probably done to match Ash a bit more, which is dumb).

You know what, they should just bring Red back. Idc what the games are called, but Red should be the main character, he should start off with his full team from the original Mt. Silver, he should be facing off against some horrible team of doom or something, somehow, he loses his Pokemon, they are forced to devolve before his eyes, stolen, and that's how the story starts. In this new land, he knows little about, against a foe he managed to lose to (how would this happen, maybe the story should be written differently), forced to start over, having to catch a starter of his own (area he first arrives in, only 3 kinds of Pokemon can be seen there, with a rare chance a 4th, for something new, something in the vein of his Pikachu, but not Electric type, for advanced players to find, ignoring the typical "starter tutorial"). Not with Pokeballs though, mind you, but by randomly gaining the Pokemon's trust by the player choosing that as his/her starter.

The only thing stopping you from catching any of the others, aside from a lack of Pokeballs, is that you're caught sleeping, with this Pokemon by your side, after some sort of story like cutscene. Turns out, the land you're on, is a reserve (a big one?), where the starters would be raised, and cared for till the day a new Trainer starts his/her journey. He's obviously stopped, confronted, explains his story, the professor, noticing how attached the chosen starter has become, chooses to believe your story, despite the lack of any identification, and hands you a new Pokedex, and sends you off on your journey, with some free Pokeballs. In exchange, you need only help fill the Pokedex, and mentor some newbies, which would be the introduction of your rivals.

I can go all day, but the power here is being screwy, I'm lucky all of the above was recovered, thanks to FireFox, so I have to stop here.
#17NitharadPosted 9/19/2013 8:16:26 AM
I'm more annoyed at people confusing Red with Ash.

Red may be an overrated memetic badass, but he's still so much better than Ash.

It's on the same level as confusing Link with Zelda, or Samus with Metroid, or Falcon with F-Zero, etc.
#18PkmTrainerAbramPosted 9/19/2013 8:20:53 AM
YamiJustin posted...
MegaMettaur posted...
ArcRay20 posted...
he was a master during his time back in the day. i mean look at him, he transcended humanity and now travels the world! lol

He was never a master for his time. Ever. He might have a ryu complex, but from what I can tell, he still has no idea how pokemon training works. Where as Cynthia has enough of an idea to breed for IVs.

How does it feel to be in the minority of people who hate Red? He is vastly loved and considered a badass, that won't change. Game Freak love him and he stands out above the rest. No one else trains in solitude atop a freezing mountain and doesn't even feel its worth saying anything.

It's a shame Japan doesn't share that love, what with Special not being nearly as popular over there as it is in the US. They love Ash more over there than Red.

And Red is meh, but not for the reasons TC is blasting off.

The main game hero is meh. The manga version is just your typical shonen hero tripe that just happens to be in a more tightly written continuity than the anime. I think I like Dia more in that series than Red, just for how lol, litterally, he is.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Black 2 Perfect Run(JPN) 640/649 owned, Rayman Orgins(Wii)
#19PkmTrainerAbramPosted 9/19/2013 8:22:56 AM
Nitharad posted...
I'm more annoyed at people confusing Red with Ash.

Red may be an overrated memetic badass, but he's still so much better than Ash.

It's on the same level as confusing Link with Zelda, or Samus with Metroid, or Falcon with F-Zero, etc.

Different clothes aside, it's clear that the marketing blokes want that similarity to last, what with the similar team mates and personalites and all.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Black 2 Perfect Run(JPN) 640/649 owned, Rayman Orgins(Wii)
#20MatezoidePosted 9/21/2013 12:35:32 PM
Every gym leader/champion that appeared in the Tournament had max IVs.

Heck, i doubt Cynthia breeds. The sole reason she has max IVs is because she is the final boss....IVs barely exist in-canon, tbh, given the whole ''friendship'' factor.

If Cynthia did, indeed, breed for IVs, then she would have given you a trashy Togepi on purpose....which seems extremely out of character for her.