This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I really don't understand why Fairy isn't weak to Psychic in this game..

#11SocranPosted 9/18/2013 8:27:09 PM
Donniedonz posted...
You say all this as if Poison-type attacks aren't about to sky rocket in usage.

Precisely. Fairy being weak to Poison is a buff to Psychic types.

majora999 posted...
They never said Fairy was weak to Psychic, they said Psychic resisted it.

Still wasn't true, I'm just saying.

I thnk that's what he means, he just seems to be very bad at constructing sentences. Among other things, he said "Psychic moves are immune to Dark types".
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#12NewMoonShadowPosted 9/18/2013 8:32:36 PM
the_cajun88 posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...

Making a single type super-effective to both Psychic and Dragon? Unless its attacks are universally awful, I could see that being somewhat broken...

No one is talking about Psychic being weak to Fairy, it's the other way around.

Ah, well, still, Psychic is pretty tough as it is, in my opinion. I can name few situations where a powerful psychic isn't useful.
#13godogod(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 10:20:09 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
Psychics need a buff? They may not have many super-effectives, but those types that are super-effective against it aren't very good offensively.

Bug, which continues to be not very good offensively and defensively, with very few exceptions.

Ghost, which has few good STAB-ing Pokemon and even fewer decently powerful moves

And Dark, which is Super-Effective against it and immune to it... and is really still the only thing keeping Psychics from being overpowered like they were in Gen 1.

Making a single type super-effective to both Psychic and Dragon? Unless its attacks are universally awful, I could see that being somewhat broken...

Besides dark types, Psychic types took a huge nose dive after special attack and defense were split..

I don't get your last last comment. Makes no sense whatsoever. I never proposed fairy type to be 2x as effective to psychic type pokemon. I said they should be weakened by it, which would balance out fairy more and make psychic better offensively.
#14waterdeepchuPosted 9/18/2013 10:38:24 PM
Because its inconsistent with Fairy myths. I love fairy tales, folk lore, etc,. and if you want I can *try* to explain it in more detail, but I probably wouldnt do a good job of it. But yeah, simply put, it wouldn't make sense for them to be weak to psychic. It would be like Dark being weak to Ghost.

I know, they dont necessarily need to follow the folk lore but... Well they already did with its offensive bonuses. Dragons and Dark creatures are part of the Unseelie Court in a huge number of myths (Dark Fairies), while the Fairy type itself is from the opposed Seelie court. So it would be silly to ignore the myths after commiting that much to them.

...That was probably completely unhelpful, wasnt it...? It all does make sense though, I can promise you that. its just tricky to explain why.

Ive thought about this a lot.
#15VerdikaPosted 9/18/2013 10:47:48 PM
waterdeepchu posted...
Because its inconsistent with Fairy myths. I love fairy tales, folk lore, etc,. and if you want I can *try* to explain it in more detail, but I probably wouldnt do a good job of it. But yeah, simply put, it wouldn't make sense for them to be weak to psychic. It would be like Dark being weak to Ghost.

I know, they dont necessarily need to follow the folk lore but... Well they already did with its offensive bonuses. Dragons and Dark creatures are part of the Unseelie Court in a huge number of myths (Dark Fairies), while the Fairy type itself is from the opposed Seelie court. So it would be silly to ignore the myths after commiting that much to them.

...That was probably completely unhelpful, wasnt it...? It all does make sense though, I can promise you that. its just tricky to explain why.

Ive thought about this a lot.

Depends on how you perceive it. Psychic types are often paralleled with occult beings, and you could make the argument that occult and magic defenses are the only ones which are of any use against the fey folk.

Psychic gets a quasi-buff because Poison gets a huge buff and Dark is nerfed, thus you will logically see less Dark and more Poison. However, it also gets a quasi-nerf because Fighting also gets nerfed (however, I have a hard time seeing Fighting really going THAT far down in usage).

I think that psychic should resist Fairy as well, and then we'd be good, OR Fairy should be weak to Psychic attacks, but not both. That would be balanced enough for me. I'd be happy with the set ups after that.
---
There's nothing that sucks worse that that moment in an argument when you realize that you are wrong.