This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The "dark" in the abstract concept of "light vs dark", is Ghost type

#1mech dragonPosted 9/18/2013 8:25:40 PM
I mean, Pokemon's Ghost type better represents the "dark" in the conceptual "light vs dark" more so than Pokemon's Dark type. Even though Dark is called "Evil" in Japanese, I still think Ghost type attacks/pokemon/abilities resemble dark more. Look at:
- Shadow Sneak/Claw/Punch/Force/Ball
- Nightmare
- Night Shade
- Hex/Curse

Just bringing this up as an idea to explore. Ghost type is my fav.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZCcEmHO.jpg http://i.imgur.com/OHcGZ4e.jpg
#2MagikarpRulesPosted 9/18/2013 8:28:49 PM
I always figured that what would qualify as Dark in other RPGs is represented by the bulk of damaging Ghost-type moves. Meanwhile, moves that would qualify as Light are distirbuted across different types.
#3Cheesepower5Posted 9/18/2013 8:29:21 PM
Before Fairy, I thought of Ghosts as more generally spirits, not benevolent or malevolent.
---
We are the champions, but me most of all!
Official Eikichi Mishina of all MegaTen boards.
#4nightblade_hawkPosted 9/18/2013 8:33:56 PM
Dark Type Pokemon always were looking kinda scheming and manipulative, but not really that scary.

Ghost Type on the other Hand has Mon that deal with Death, Possession and the Undead. Some of them even look kinda disturbing.

You could actually say that Ghost is more of an "Evil" Type than Dark.
#5bassyuraPosted 9/18/2013 8:34:12 PM
Dark type is the "dark" type. Why don't you get it?! Dark was conceptualized to counter Psychic because Ghost damn sure couldn't. Back in Gen 1, Psychic was the "light" type as anything that you could consider "light" was either Psychic or Normal. Now they are probably Fairy.

You didn't show that Ghost is "dark", you just reinforced how redundant Ghost and Dark really are.
---
This hand of mine is coursing with the Power of Magnetism! It tells me to crush Capitalism!
Here I go, GADGETO FINGAH!!!
#6TectonicImprovPosted 9/18/2013 8:36:45 PM
Dark is essentially being a dirty fighter, going for underhanded moves like pursuiting an enemy when they're weak, pretending to faint to get the upper hand, and taunting a foe. That's why Fighting is good against it.
---
Yo yo yo 1 4 8 3 to the 3 6 to the 9, representing the ABQ. What up, ******!
Majora's Mask is overrated. People who agree: 26 (PM your opinion, good, or bad.)
#7NewMoonShadowPosted 9/18/2013 8:36:52 PM
Cheesepower5 posted...
Before Fairy, I thought of Ghosts as more generally spirits, not benevolent or malevolent.

This. The ghost type moves are spiritual in nature, and while you could call a lot of them malevolent, calling them "evil" is pushing it, and they're typically based on the Japanese lore of ghosts being very vengeful towards the living, hence moves like "Grudge", "Curse", and "Spite". Not "evil", simply what ghosts do as beings of pure anger and frustration (not so much in Pokemon, but in traditional Japanese ghost lore).

Meanwhile "Dark" is made up primarily of moves whose sole purpose is to hurt other living beings as much as possible, and aren't spiritual in nature at all.
#8MagikarpRulesPosted 9/18/2013 8:38:37 PM
bassyura posted...
Dark type is the "dark" type. Why don't you get it?! Dark was conceptualized to counter Psychic because Ghost damn sure couldn't. Back in Gen 1, Psychic was the "light" type as anything that you could consider "light" was either Psychic or Normal. Now they are probably Fairy.

You didn't show that Ghost is "dark", you just reinforced how redundant Ghost and Dark really are.

Night Slash, Night Daze and arguably Dark Pulse and Yveltal's Oblivion Wing count as Dark in the traditional use of the term as an element (dark, shadow or darkness). The rest of Dark type damaging moves are completely different from that. On the other hand, other than Hex, Ominous Wind and Astonish, Ghost-type damaging moves include the word 'Shadow'.

So, the way I see it, the true Dark type in the sense of Darkness as an element is Ghost.
#9mech dragon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 8:42:10 PM
MagikarpRules posted...

So, the way I see it, the true Dark type in the sense of Darkness as an element is Ghost.

That's how I see it too.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZCcEmHO.jpg http://i.imgur.com/OHcGZ4e.jpg
#10PheonixFFire7Posted 9/18/2013 8:46:08 PM
I always equated Dark type in Pokemon to the Rogue class in your typical RPG, honestly. Many Dark types are frail, but quick and strong, use lots of crit-based and "cheap" moves (Thief, Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Foul Play, etc). Also you have Dark types getting abilities like Super Luck, Prankster, and Pickpocket.

Ghosts are much closer to the malevolent, classic "evil" archetype.