This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wait... pokemon get exp from wild pokemon ecounters...

#11MaplesGrandGMPosted 9/19/2013 11:32:32 AM
darkestarcher posted...
MaplesGrandGM posted...

Unless of course, you're a Saiyan, then you gain experience from every battle, win or lose.

True, but it'd be silly to think of anyone cramming Saiyans into tiny balls and sending them out to do battle against your foes.

... waitaminute.

So... you agree?
#12darkestarcherPosted 9/19/2013 11:35:56 AM
MaplesGrandGM posted...
darkestarcher posted...
MaplesGrandGM posted...

Unless of course, you're a Saiyan, then you gain experience from every battle, win or lose.

True, but it'd be silly to think of anyone cramming Saiyans into tiny balls and sending them out to do battle against your foes.

... waitaminute.

So... you agree?

Well I'm certainly not disagreeing with what's confirmed regarding Saiyans. Rather I was pointing out the somewhat silly parallel of the space pods they use and pokeballs.
#13UmuruPosted 9/19/2013 11:37:19 AM
darkestarcher posted...
bakkahentai8600 posted...
I still think using a move should build up experience (either gathering some after every move or combining it at the end), and have the amount fall every usage in a single battle or start it low and slowly build it up.

Probably would drive a lot of players crazy though.

PMD does something similar to this in that moves level up as you use them (and that other pokemon who know the same move reap those benefits as well). However, I could see a system like this being problematic for doing bait-and-switch training of low level pokemon in-game. I doubt Gamefreak would ever make EXP based on the attacks used.

It would also make slowly chipping away at your opponent more valuable than just blasting them, which would make grinding even more tedious than it is already.

I dunno... I learned to love it in Final Fantasy Tactics. Cripple the opponent to the point of uselessness, then send in a low level guy to eat up all the delicious experience. :)
#14MaplesGrandGMPosted 9/19/2013 12:09:37 PM
darkestarcher posted...
MaplesGrandGM posted...
darkestarcher posted...
MaplesGrandGM posted...

... waitaminute.

So... you agree?

Well I'm certainly not disagreeing with what's confirmed regarding Saiyans. Rather I was pointing out the somewhat silly parallel of the space pods they use and pokeballs.

The silly, but amazingly accurate, parallel. Glad to see we're in agreement.
#15DragrathPosted 9/21/2013 1:37:14 PM
XCheapshotX posted...
even if you catch said wild pokemon?

awesome...

this better not be true... no no No NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EV training just became impossible :(

I can't catch mons unless they give EV's I want? This will make me sad(especially my synchronizers)
SO I have to sacrifce my lead If I find a shiny?

The better have - Ev berries everywhere
#16Emerald_MeliosPosted 9/23/2013 8:25:49 PM
darkestarcher posted...
XCheapshotX posted...
even if you catch said wild pokemon?

awesome...

I agree that it's a nice system. Makes more sense than "Oh you didn't learn anything because the opponent didn't faint."

In SMT games, you still get EXP if you successfully recruit demons. This seems fair enough.
#17jedinatPosted 9/23/2013 8:31:46 PM
darkestarcher posted...
bakkahentai8600 posted...
I still think using a move should build up experience (either gathering some after every move or combining it at the end), and have the amount fall every usage in a single battle or start it low and slowly build it up.

Probably would drive a lot of players crazy though.

PMD does something similar to this in that moves level up as you use them (and that other pokemon who know the same move reap those benefits as well). However, I could see a system like this being problematic for doing bait-and-switch training of low level pokemon in-game. I doubt Gamefreak would ever make EXP based on the attacks used.

It would also make slowly chipping away at your opponent more valuable than just blasting them, which would make grinding even more tedious than it is already.

It definitely wouldn't be a good idea and would introduce nasty metagaming habits. Imagine attacking/debuffing/whatever based on leveling up and not just knocking out the enemy as efficiently as possible. I hated FFT largely because of the action-based experience...