This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you want a device in Pokemon that directly translate Pokemon cries to text?

#11PkmTrainerAbramPosted 9/19/2013 2:55:06 PM
FuneralCake posted...
I don't think it would be that interesting, honestly. I don't care about reading if my Pokemon is happy or hungry or whatever.

With Pokemon-amie, we get to interact with our Pokemon enough to experience how they're feeling rather than just read it.

This. I don't think it could be done properly at all.

600+ Pokemon
About 25 different natures.
Within that, each pokemon has different and conflicting characteristics that would need to be addressed.
With that, accounting for happiness/resentment/place in the story/area/Pokemon on the team/what the trainer is wearing/time of day/season/status condition/etc.

There's too much that needs to be accounted for before it even begins to actually work in practice.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Black 2 Perfect Run(JPN) 640/649 owned, Rayman Orgins(Wii)
#12FuneralCakePosted 9/19/2013 3:00:38 PM
PkmTrainerAbram posted...
600+ Pokemon
About 25 different natures.
Within that, each pokemon has different and conflicting characteristics that would need to be addressed.
With that, accounting for happiness/resentment/place in the story/area/Pokemon on the team/what the trainer is wearing/time of day/season/status condition/etc.

There's too much that needs to be accounted for before it even begins to actually work in practice.

From a programming perspective, it's actually really not difficult at all to do. Lots of conditional cases, but it's perfectly manageable and nothing sticks out as being overly-complicated.
---
YOU WANT SOME FUNERAL TO GO WITH THAT CAKE?
http://i.minus.com/ibeTNBZS1C6k9v.gif
#13DeitylightPosted 9/19/2013 3:25:57 PM
All of my want. I'm sure we'll see this feature in X and Y 2 or Generation 7.
I'm just happy I can interact with my pokemon now besides battling and contests/movies/etc, not that they were bad or anything.
#14Grammar_manPosted 9/21/2013 9:59:58 AM
IVIasterJay posted...
No. Pokemon aren't humans. Just the stupid telepathy in the movies pisses me off. These are creatures of immense power, not people- who-happen-to-look-like-animals of immense power.

"In Black 2 and White 2, if the player visits Lostlorn Forest, a Zoroark is disguised as a backpacker who talks to the player before dispelling its illusion and leaving."

Also, read this:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Talking_Pokémon
#15SlimeStackPosted 9/21/2013 10:02:38 AM
FuneralCake posted...
From a programming perspective, it's actually really not difficult at all to do. Lots of conditional cases, but it's perfectly manageable and nothing sticks out as being overly-complicated.

A living nightmare for the poor sods who have to write and translate all that text though!

Personally I wouldn't like this kind of feature. I prefer Pokémon when they're more animal-like.
---
Blah.
#16GensokyoPosted 9/21/2013 10:29:12 AM
IVIasterJay posted...
No. Pokemon aren't humans. Just the stupid telepathy in the movies pisses me off. These are creatures of immense power, not people- who-happen-to-look-like-animals of immense power.

http://legendsoflocalization.com/did-you-know-people-used-to-marry-pokemon-all-the-time/
#17MaetchPosted 9/21/2013 12:57:45 PM
We saw such a device get used in XD. All it did was mute the Pokemon instead.
#18Nado6Posted 9/21/2013 1:00:13 PM
Spinda: We are the Spinda Hive mind, prepare to be assimilated.
#19NanaboboPosted 9/21/2013 1:04:32 PM
Okay, so call me ridiculous, but even in a series that involves stuffing human-sized creatures into gachapon capsules; animals smaller than that issuing gallons of water from their mouths; eight-inch tall birds that can carry humans across the sky; and kids going out on their own with fire-starting monstrosities that could easily accidentally kill them? A speech-translator is too unrealistic for me. I know we're getting closer to it, but let's face it- Youtube's autocaptions can't even pick up a single language, let alone a single language translated into another.
---
ACNL Dream Address 4100-2150-3577
#20deidara21Posted 9/21/2013 1:04:37 PM
Froakie: All glory to the hypno froak.

Kriketune: Kluk Kluk Kluk woooooo
---
Boy:Cream?
Girl:No thank you. I take it black, like my men.