This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Non-attack moves?

#1ViolentAbacusPosted 9/19/2013 12:51:39 PM
How many of you use non-attack moves? - Results (99 votes)
I never use attack moves!
4.04% (4 votes)
I have two attack moves and two non-attack
6.06% (6 votes)
I have three attack moves and one non-attack
47.47% (47 votes)
I have one attack move and three non-attack
1.01% (1 votes)
I only use attack moves
17.17% (17 votes)
Hah! You're a noob!
24.24% (24 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Okay, so for as long as I've been playing Pokemon I've never used a non-attack move (non-attack meaning moves like growl). I could never see the point because it seems that no matter how much it lowers an enemies stuff, it never does enough to justify not attacking that round.

So, along with the poll, can someone learn me a little about how these moves should be used, and when?
---
While you bask in my glory, please try not to make me angry by writing words that don't exist in dictionaries.
#2calender68Posted 9/19/2013 12:52:57 PM
Well, which one of my 6 Pokemon do you want to know about?
---
FC: 3110-4507-4617, Name: Steven, Town: Hoenn
Dream Address: 5700-2506-3500. Come visit if you wanna see Hoenn!
#3uuurrrgghPosted 9/19/2013 12:53:11 PM
Depends.

Ingame- 4 attack moves

Competitive- 3 attack, 1 status on most of my sets. Sometimes 2 and 2.
---
Apparently, I'm nobody.
B2 FC: 3010 5891 4441
#4Meta289Posted 9/19/2013 12:53:21 PM
I usually have either 3 offensive moves and one status move, or two of each.
---
R.I.P. Pokemon Cycle
Fact: Things are so much better when taken at face value.
#5RotomGuy3Posted 9/19/2013 12:53:56 PM
When I was a kid, I used to think they were useless and awful, including ones like Shell Smash, Stealth Rock, Wish.

As I grew older I came to appreciate ones that don't do damage but have other good effects, except I still didn't understand the point of stat changing ones.

Now, when doing Competetive games, I have about 1 on a Pokemon. Still don't think they are too great, except Dragon Dance, Swords Dance and Shell Smash.
#6SOLDIER_BankaiPosted 9/19/2013 12:54:07 PM
I usually have 4 attacks, but I'll use 1-2 non-attacks if they're really good, like Sleep Powder and Quiver Dance on Liligant.
#7Misdreavus573Posted 9/19/2013 12:56:44 PM
Now that I think about it, I notice I usually have two attack moves and two non-attacks. Sometimes one or three, but never zero or four.

"Spam all of the attacks!" is usually rather boring, I like to have some strategy.
#8DefazePosted 9/19/2013 12:56:55 PM
Err, it really depends on which team member. Like in HG, my Dewgong has 2 in Disable/Encore, whereas my Skarmory has Roost/Stealth Rock/Whirlwind. Generally though, I tend to opt for 3 attacking moves + a stat booster.
#9TerradriusPosted 9/19/2013 1:26:53 PM(edited)
ViolentAbacus posted...
Okay, so for as long as I've been playing Pokemon I've never used a non-attack move (non-attack meaning moves like growl). I could never see the point because it seems that no matter how much it lowers an enemies stuff, it never does enough to justify not attacking that round.

So, along with the poll, can someone learn me a little about how these moves should be used, and when?

It depends entirely on the pokemon, and the situation. For one thing, moves that boost your stats are almost always better than moves that lower your opponents' stats, because they persist if you KO your opponent's pokemon or if they switch out, though putting status effects on your opponents, due to the fact that they persist through switches, can be quite useful.

But there are many times when using non-attack moves is optimal. For instance, I've got a Lucario that I use in the Pokemon World Tournament; he uses a focus sash, so he always survives one attack, and he knows Swords Dance, which doubles his attack. A lot of the time, one Close Combat wouldn't be enough to take out my opponent, however, a close combat that's doubled in power would. So for my first turn against my opponent's first pokemon, I'll often use Swords Dance. Because of my Focus Sash, it's very unlikely that he'll be taken out in one attack, so I (almost) always last one turn. From there, I use Close Combat, and take out my opponent.

Now you say, "You would've gotten the same effect from just using Close Combat twice!", but when my opponent's next pokemon comes in, because I used swords dance rather than just using close combat twice against the first pokemon, if I'm faster, I can then hit him with a *double-power* close combat, which could take him out in one hit rather than two, which theoretically prevents him from attacking at all and at the very least does double the damage. And then the same with the third. Because I used swords dance, I could take out all of my opponent's pokemon with only the first getting a chance to attack back. If I hadn't used swords dance, my opponents 2nd and 3rd pokemon might well have survived one of my attacks and gotten to kill my Lucario.

And of course, there's all sorts of stalling strategies that can use stat boosting moves - throwing out a toxic and then spamming recover on a very durable pokemon can be a very good strategy, for instance. And putting your opponent to sleep, especially with a 100% chance, can be great as well; plus it really helps for capturing wild pokemon.
---
http://adamgaming.blogspot.com/ - My game review/design blog, which I have finally gotten back to updating. Sporadically.
Jesus saves. PSN: Orethen
#10ExcIusivity69Posted 9/19/2013 1:25:01 PM(edited)
Toxic, Leech Seed, Spore, Thunder Wave, Confuse Ray, and certian healing moves are common on my movesets.
---
When did "casual player" become an insult? -Taizuku
The real question is "When did hardcore gamer become a compliment/aspiration?" -JMBoote