This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon Type question.

#1Patriarch105Posted 9/19/2013 10:37:52 PM
How do Primary and Secondary types effect each other? I haven't played in a long time but at first glance a pokemon like Kabutops covers it's own weaknesses with it's secondary type.

But I assume I'm not looking at it the right way.
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#2FuneralCakePosted 9/19/2013 10:40:11 PM
It basically either makes the Pokemon better or worse.

If the secondary type is something that cancels out the effects of attacks on the first type, it's great. For example, a Steel/Ghost Pokemon is good because it means the Pokemon can't be affected by Fighting moves. Of course, it does add additional weaknesses as well.

Then you have times where adding another type makes the Pokemon worse. Like Magcargo, who is Fire/Rock, and thus doubly weak to Water and Ground. The Rock type hurts it more than it helps.
---
YOU WANT SOME FUNERAL TO GO WITH THAT CAKE?
http://i.minus.com/ibeTNBZS1C6k9v.gif
#3SocranPosted 9/19/2013 10:40:35 PM
There's no difference between primary and secondary. If one type cuts damage in half, and another doubles it, they cancel each other out. If both types resist damage, it's cut down to a fourth. Kabutops is still weak against Electric and Fighting and very weak against Grass.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#4FowhawkPosted 9/19/2013 10:40:59 PM
Types stack with each other. A good example would be someone like Scizor. Its Bug type gets rid of the Ground and Fighting type weakness the Steel would give it otherwise. And the Rock and Flying type weakness the Bug would have is made neutral via the Steel typing.

But because it is both Bug and Steel it has a times four weakness to Fire.
---
Virion is the worst father in all of Fire Emblem: Awakening. No kid should ever have to inherit his awful classes, mods, and blue hair.
#5Alty1Posted 9/19/2013 10:41:28 PM
Defensively?

The weaknesses and resistances of the types will either cancel each other out or increase each other.

Take Bug/Steel. Bug gives it a resistance to Ground, Steel gives it a weakness. Take them both together and its hit neutral by Steel.

On the other hand, Bug and Steel are both week to Fire, so they stack and you get a 4x weakness.

Same with resistances, like Bug/Steel's quad resistance to Grass.
#6Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 10:44:17 PM
FuneralCake posted...
It basically either makes the Pokemon better or worse.

If the secondary type is something that cancels out the effects of attacks on the first type, it's great. For example, a Steel/Ghost Pokemon is good because it means the Pokemon can't be affected by Fighting moves. Of course, it does add additional weaknesses as well.

Then you have times where adding another type makes the Pokemon worse. Like Magcargo, who is Fire/Rock, and thus doubly weak to Water and Ground. The Rock type hurts it more than it helps.

So Kabutops has an edge strictly from a type perspective in combat since it should cover it's water and electric weaknesses. Even though It would be more susceptible to grass.
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#7Alty1Posted 9/19/2013 10:46:39 PM
Patriarch105 posted...
So Kabutops has an edge strictly from a type perspective in combat since it should cover it's water and electric weaknesses. Even though It would be more susceptible to grass.

Electric weakness isn't covered, Rock has an Electric neutrality.

He also picks up a fighting weakness and a ground weakness, both of which are very bad to have.
#8Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 10:50:06 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9ZTIger5Posted 9/19/2013 10:53:07 PM
Their various weaknesses and resistances will either stack or cover each other.

Example:
-Water is 2x weak to Grass, but x.5 resistant to Water and Steel.
-Rock is 2x weak to Water, and Grass and Steel.
-Kabutops has a 4x weakness to Grass because Water and Rock's weaknesses stack together, while it takes neutral damage from Water and Steel because Water's resistance covers those weaknesses.

Immunities (like Ground's immunity to Electric) always come out on top; so if a Pokemon's first type has a weakness to a certain type, but its second type is immune to it, the Pokemon is immune to that type.
---
Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening, Pokemon White 2, Bioshock Infinite
I believe in everlasting life in Heaven.
#10Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 10:55:25 PM
Alty1 posted...
Patriarch105 posted...

Electric weakness isn't covered, Rock has an Electric neutrality.

He also picks up a fighting weakness and a ground weakness, both of which are very bad to have.

I thought it was my mistake.

But something like a Ghost/Steel would have a decent general advantage.

You'd trade out a fighting weakness for Dark. Which doesn't seem that strong against much so assumably it's less popular.
---