This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon Type question.

#11Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 9:57:14 PM
ZTIger5 posted...
Their various weaknesses and resistances will either stack or cover each other.

Example:
-Water is 2x weak to Grass, but x.5 resistant to Water and Steel.
-Rock is 2x weak to Water, and Grass and Steel.
-Kabutops has a 4x weakness to Grass because Water and Rock's weaknesses stack together, while it takes neutral damage from Water and Steel because Water's resistance covers those weaknesses.

Immunities (like Ground's immunity to Electric) always come out on top; so if a Pokemon's first type has a weakness to a certain type, but its second type is immune to it, the Pokemon is immune to that type.

so damage is not additive through the types but multiplied?
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#12Alty1Posted 9/19/2013 9:57:48 PM
Patriarch105 posted...
Alty1 posted...
Patriarch105 posted...
So Kabutops has an edge strictly from a type perspective in combat since it should cover it's water and electric weaknesses. Even though It would be more susceptible to grass.

Electric weakness isn't covered, Rock has an Electric neutrality.

He also picks up a fighting weakness and a ground weakness, both of which are very bad to have.

I thought it was my mistake.

But something like a Ghost/Steel would have a decent general advantage.

You'd trade out a fighting weakness for Dark. Which doesn't seem that strong against much so assumably it's less popular.

Generally speaking, except for a very few cases, adding a Steel subtype to a pure typed pokemon is a defensive boon. So yeah, Ghost/Steel would be an improvement over straight Ghost.
#13Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 10:04:20 PM(edited)
Alty1 posted...
Patriarch105 posted...
Alty1 posted...
Patriarch105 posted...
So Kabutops has an edge strictly from a type perspective in combat since it should cover it's water and electric weaknesses. Even though It would be more susceptible to grass.

Electric weakness isn't covered, Rock has an Electric neutrality.

He also picks up a fighting weakness and a ground weakness, both of which are very bad to have.

I thought it was my mistake.

But something like a Ghost/Steel would have a decent general advantage.

You'd trade out a fighting weakness for Dark. Which doesn't seem that strong against much so assumably it's less popular.

Generally speaking, except for a very few cases, adding a Steel subtype to a pure typed pokemon is a defensive boon. So yeah, Ghost/Steel would be an improvement over straight Ghost.

Every combo is such a mixed bag. I was thinking of Poison Steel would cover most major weaknesses. But on top of there being no Poison Steel Pokemon they wouldn't be particularly useful offensively either.

On the other hand a pokemon like Snover seems like it would be fairly useless as it has 7 weaknesses and one of those is 4x.
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#14Alty1Posted 9/19/2013 10:03:29 PM
Patriarch105 posted...
Every combo is such a mixed bag. I was thinking of Poison Steel would cover most major weaknesses. But on top of there being no Poison Steel Pokemon they wouldn't be particularly useful offensively either.

It may be more offensively useful in the next generation, what with the looming threat of Fairies. Granted, it would be redundant STAB coverage, but it would resist them like crazy.

Also, while it's true that every subtyping brings a mixed bag, some are unquestionably better than others. Like Rock/Ice, that would be an awful typing. Ground/Water? Awesome typing.
#15Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 10:07:06 PM
Alty1 posted...
Patriarch105 posted...

It may be more offensively useful in the next generation, what with the looming threat of Fairies. Granted, it would be redundant STAB coverage, but it would resist them like crazy.

Also, while it's true that every subtyping brings a mixed bag, some are unquestionably better than others. Like Rock/Ice, that would be an awful typing. Ground/Water? Awesome typing.

Now what's the big deal with Faires? They counter Dragon, Fighting and Dark.

I'm fairly certain Dragon had an edge because of how little it effects everything else. Fighter has 5 advantages, and Dark, well dark to my knowledge is not one of the better types.
---
#16ZTIger5Posted 9/19/2013 10:16:53 PM
Patriarch105 posted...
ZTIger5 posted...
Their various weaknesses and resistances will either stack or cover each other.

Example:
-Water is 2x weak to Grass, but x.5 resistant to Water and Steel.
-Rock is 2x weak to Water, and Grass and Steel.
-Kabutops has a 4x weakness to Grass because Water and Rock's weaknesses stack together, while it takes neutral damage from Water and Steel because Water's resistance covers those weaknesses.

Immunities (like Ground's immunity to Electric) always come out on top; so if a Pokemon's first type has a weakness to a certain type, but its second type is immune to it, the Pokemon is immune to that type.

so damage is not additive through the types but multiplied?

Pretty much. Weakness is 2x, resistance is 0.5x, and immunity is 0x when modifying damage for type relationship, and Pokemon with two types that have overlapping type relationships have their respective multipliers combined.

Both types weak = 4x damage
One type weak = 2x damage
One type resists = 0.5x damage
Both types resist = 0.25x damage
Either type immune = 0x damage
All other circumstances (both neutral, or one weak and one resistant) = 1x damage
---
Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening, Pokemon White 2, Bioshock Infinite
I believe in everlasting life in Heaven.