This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dark Type?

#1Patriarch105Posted 9/19/2013 11:19:09 PM
I don't understand what dark is exactly. Both the general concept of the type as well as the themeing aesthetics of it's Pokemon.

Electric, water, grass. The pokemon of these types are generally are electric, sea, or plant themed.

But what's with Dark? When I think dark I think Night and Evil. Other than a generally darker pallet I don't see much of a connection. And that pallet only seems to apply to about half of the dark types.

There are maybe 3 Dark types that in my mind appropriately fit the theme that I think of.

What am I missing about this type's aesthetic?
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#2GroadergreenPosted 9/19/2013 11:20:40 PM
Evil, wicked.. you have the right idea.
---
The Official Demonee-Ho of the SMT IV Board
#3Sloth9230Posted 9/19/2013 11:21:05 PM
They fight dirty.
#4beebarbPosted 9/19/2013 11:21:42 PM
It's not about being evil or literally dark. The 'dark' type has more to do with sneaky or 'cheap' battle tactics than anything else.
---
Experience beats bias, but words on the Internet are meaningless.
3DS XL FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 0047-4149-5185 / White FC: 0348-0626-6780
#5Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 11:25:45 PM
Groadergreen posted...

Well I think they've missed the mark a bit compared to every other type.
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#6GroadergreenPosted 9/19/2013 11:25:51 PM
Aku is the japanese word and it translates to badness, wickedness or evil. Take what you will from that.
---
#7Duskull24Posted 9/19/2013 11:27:19 PM
Patriarch105 posted...
Groadergreen posted...

Remember that this is a kid's game. They can't have the pokemon going around severing the heads of their victimes
---
Not changing this sig until Gamefreak brings back the Trick Master. Started 9-19-10
I'm not a hater, I just have a low threshold for stupid.
#8GroadergreenPosted 9/19/2013 11:28:45 PM
Yeah, it's evil but comparatively evil.. like Doctor Evil or some cartoon villain.
---
#9JackSolomonPosted 9/19/2013 11:29:32 PM
In Japan, it's known as the Evil type. Generally, Dark type Pokemon vary by degrees: Like Fire has various subgroups among how that fire is personified: Actual fire, magma, smoke, etc, Dark has mischievous, cruel, vicious, and so on. For example, take Absol, Zoroark, Honchkrow, and Hydreigon.

Absol: Well meaning, but it's atonement to natural disasters means tragedy follows it. It's not actively evil, it just can't help but be hated for it's attempts to warn.

Zoroark: Mischievous, it likes to trick people with it's talent for illusions, but hardly evil.

Honchkrow: They can be cruel, striking viciously at those who betray it, but it doesn't go out and attack others. Evil? More like a lack of qualms.

Hydreigon: Vicious and crazed, this Pokemon will attack anything near it, it's arms devouring all they can get their teeth in. Definitely Evil.

The theme for Dark type Pokemon is Evil: whether intentionally or not, you'll find pain and suffering wherever a Dark type Pokemon can be found. They don't always mean it, but it's always there.
#10Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 11:32:32 PM
Duskull24 posted...
Patriarch105 posted...
Groadergreen posted...

Remember that this is a kid's game. They can't have the pokemon going around severing the heads of their victimes

They have a balloon who's description is something along the lines of "It tries to steal children's souls"

I just think they'd be a bit better off if they themed this type of pokemon better. Either make them look menacing or give them a night theme.

Murkrow
Sneasel
Sableye

These are the only three that I think accurately represent the dark type. NOT any of the evolved forms of those mentioned.

Everything else seems better fit towards another type's theme.
---