This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dark Type?

#21snuffles504Posted 9/20/2013 12:29:37 AM
Patriarch105 posted...
I don't understand what dark is exactly. Both the general concept of the type as well as the themeing aesthetics of it's Pokemon.

Electric, water, grass. The pokemon of these types are generally are electric, sea, or plant themed.

But what's with Dark? When I think dark I think Night and Evil. Other than a generally darker pallet I don't see much of a connection. And that pallet only seems to apply to about half of the dark types.

There are maybe 3 Dark types that in my mind appropriately fit the theme that I think of.

What am I missing about this type's aesthetic?

Dark type encompasses a number of ideas:

Literal darkness: every Dark-type introduced in Gen II was found either at night or in a cave. Dark Void and Night Daze are known as "Dark Hole" and "Night Burst" in Japan, and utilize a world of darkness and a pitch-black shock wave, respectively, to attack the opponent. It is also hypothesized that Psychic's weakness to the Dark-type is because a fear of darkness is a common one (like the fear of bugs or ghosts).

Evil: the Dark type itself is called "Evil" in Japan. Dark Pulse ("Evil Pulse" in Japan) is a "horrible aura imbued with dark thoughts." Many Dark type Pokemon are known for their violence or just have a savage appearance - Sharpedo, Hydreigon, Mightyena, and Houndoom to name a few. Darkrai is based on the concept of nightmares or the bogeyman, Sableye is a goblin, and Tyrannitar is Godzilla (who while not necessary evil, doesn't exactly give people the warm fuzzies by demolishing Tokyo). Yveltal's signature move, Oblivion Wing, is known as "Death Wing" in Japan, so make what you will of that.

Dirty fighting: this is the most wide-spread usage of the type. Almost every Dark-type move is some form of dirty fighting, be it Bite, Sucker Punch, Flatter, or Fake Tears. A lot of Dark-type Pokemon are known as tricksters or based off of mythical figures known for their trickery (such as Shiftry and Zoroark). This may explain why Dark is weak to fighting: a message to children that honor will always prevail over underhanded tactics.

Now as for the aesthetics...I don't understand your complaint. It's pretty common for one type of Pokemon to have many similarities. For Dark type, that's a lot of dark colors (literal darkness showing through there), but even in the Dark type you have your oddballs. Tyrannitar, Shiftry, Crawdaunt, Scrafty, Cacturne, and Krookodile aren't dark-colored. So I don't understand your issue. The use of dark colors or savage designs for the Dark type is no different than sticking flames on almost every single Fire-type Pokemon, creating nearly every Ground- and Rock-type Pokemon out of earthy tones, or making most Steel-types either gray or blue. The only type that really isn't consistent in this way is Normal, and that's because it's more or less all-encompassing for Pokemon that don't fit into a specific element.
---
Official Rinzler of the Kingdom Hearts III Board
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!
#22Sloth9230Posted 9/20/2013 12:29:58 AM
mech dragon posted...
Dark Pulse

The user releases a horrible aura imbued with dark thoughts. -Description.

Dark Pulse is essentially mind raping your opponent, nothing to do with shadows.

I've got nothing for Dark Void though, aside from the fact making your opponent fall asleep isn't exactly playing fair.

Then there's Night Daze...
#23boxdude123Posted 9/20/2013 1:22:08 AM
Ghost, Bug, Fairy, Steel ect. It's a video game..
---
Official co-leader of KIL (KIL_Ford)
Pokemon B2 FC: 1292-6030-3536
#24Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 9:41:04 AM
uberking422 posted...

Aerodactyl isn't made out of rock.
Lapras looks no more icy than Blastoise.
Infernape doesn't wear boxing gloves or a karate gi.
Dodrio has no wings.
Jynx... I don't even know where to begin.

Your missing the point a bit and I think you may be doing it on purpose. Mainly I'm focusing on the primary type of that pokemon because that's where a lot of the design comes from.

Primary usually gives the main aesthetic theme to the pokemon. And then Secondary accents it. Like Chinchou it looks like a tadpole but then it has that light on it's head like an angler fish. Because it's a light it's also electric. Though secondary's accenting isn't always there or obvious.

Aerodactyl very much looks like he could have rock skin even if he doesn't. And anyway he does have wings.
Lapras has very water like qualities. most of it's body looks like a sea turtle.
Infernape is very clearly on fire.
Dodrio may not have wings but he's very clearly a bird.
Jynx is just one of the ones that don't mesh.

But every other type of pokemon has a general aesthetic theme to them. Ice pokemon for example. With the exception of Jynx every one looks like an animal that lives in cold environment. Or they look like they could be made of ice or snow.

You really can't do this on an indivudual basis. I'm talking about Dark as a whole.

Look at Grass types. Most if not all have a plant theme to them.

What do Dark have overall? Other than a dark pallet and and a facial expression they lack a lot of commonality between them. I mean Garados looks angry does that mean he should be dark? Is Unown dark because he's black?
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#25Mewtwo_soulPosted 9/20/2013 9:46:43 AM
Patriarch105 posted...
Duskull24 posted...
Patriarch105 posted...
Groadergreen posted...
Evil, wicked.. you have the right idea.

Well I think they've missed the mark a bit compared to every other type.

Remember that this is a kid's game. They can't have the pokemon going around severing the heads of their victimes

They have a balloon who's description is something along the lines of "It tries to steal children's souls"

I just think they'd be a bit better off if they themed this type of pokemon better. Either make them look menacing or give them a night theme.

Murkrow
Sneasel
Sableye

These are the only three that I think accurately represent the dark type. NOT any of the evolved forms of those mentioned.

Everything else seems better fit towards another type's theme.

They float down here, and when you're down here, you'll float too. Georgie.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#26Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 9:47:07 AM
JackSolomon posted...

Vullaby's 'diaper' is a skull. Look at it upside down.

Groadergreen posted...
Vullaby wears a skull and attacks things weaker than itself which is probably what makes it semi wicked in nature. But really, Pokemon is a game of clashing creature types and the Dark type is more ideology based which you can't really represent too well without incorporating it into the story.

I thought it was an egg shell. but the skull idea looking at it now fits better with the dark theme.
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#27Meta289Posted 9/20/2013 9:51:33 AM
Thing is, what exactly constitutes as "evil"? Death, darkness, aggressiveness, and just dark colors are not "evil".

Remember that Pokemon are animals. They have no sense of morality. They are not "good", nor are they "evil". Just because Hydreigon is a powerful, aggressive Pokemon doesn't make it "evil". Hippopotamuses are powerful, aggressive animals, but does that make them "evil"? No.
---
R.I.P. Pokemon Cycle
Fact: Things are so much better when taken at face value.
#28Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 9:57:21 AM
snuffles504 posted...

Now as for the aesthetics...I don't understand your complaint. It's pretty common for one type of Pokemon to have many similarities. For Dark type, that's a lot of dark colors (literal darkness showing through there), but even in the Dark type you have your oddballs. Tyrannitar, Shiftry, Crawdaunt, Scrafty, Cacturne, and Krookodile aren't dark-colored. So I don't understand your issue. The use of dark colors or savage designs for the Dark type is no different than sticking flames on almost every single Fire-type Pokemon, creating nearly every Ground- and Rock-type Pokemon out of earthy tones, or making most Steel-types either gray or blue. The only type that really isn't consistent in this way is Normal, and that's because it's more or less all-encompassing for Pokemon that don't fit into a specific element.

I'm saying all dark types really have is a shared pallet and angry or devilish faces.

But all types tend to have a shared pallet and most evolved forms have angry looks.

What dark lacks is that extra bid. Fire pokemon has flames, water look like sea animals, grass has plants and leaves on them.

Should Gyarados be dark because he has an angry face?
Should Unown be dark because he's black?

I don't expect all dark types to match each other. but what your saying as far as their shared commonality many non-dark pokemon have.
---
#29Tygore001Posted 9/20/2013 9:58:40 AM
Sloth9230 posted...
mech dragon posted...
Dark Pulse

The user releases a horrible aura imbued with dark thoughts. -Description.

Dark Pulse is essentially mind raping your opponent, nothing to do with shadows.

I've got nothing for Dark Void though, aside from the fact making your opponent fall asleep isn't exactly playing fair.

Then there's Night Daze...

Remember, Dark Void is Darkrai's signature move, and is supposed to complement Bad Dreams. The idea is it's both putting them to sleep and mentally tormenting them.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3010 5906 4214
3DS FC: 4511-0471-8035
#30NanaboboPosted 9/20/2013 10:19:11 AM
I think Dark-types are pretty obviously-themed. Almost all of them are dark and have malevolent facial expressions. Yes, that also matches the descriptions of several other Pokemon, such as Ghost-types and Poison-types, but not all Pokemon have all types that could be related to them. Blastoise could be a Water/Steel but isn't, Stunfisk could be a Water/Electric but isn't, Donphan could be a Ground/Normal etc.

Similarly, not all Pokemon have types that are readily apparent to them. Girafarig's Psychic, Gligar's Ground, Exeggcutor's Psychic, etc.

Actually, there are lots of types that have this problem. Where do you draw the line between Ground and Rock? At what point does a punch go from a normal Mega Punch to a fighting Bullet Punch? What makes the Musketeer trio Fighting-type when Electivire learns more Fighting-type abilities than Virizion? I dunno why you'd pick up on Dark-type being harder to discern than, say, Psychic or Steel.

TL;DRYeah, you have a point that Dark-type is weird, but so are almost all other types in one way or another.
---
ACNL Dream Address 4100-2150-3577