This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Could Pokemon X & Y beat the GTAV sales?

#121dynamomasterPosted 9/20/2013 5:09:27 PM
DrakoVongola1 posted...
TalesOfGod posted...
CTBradums posted...
Not in America. Pokemon X/Y will do great, and I'll be getting that and not GTAV, but it can't compete with the broad appeal that GTA has. Pokemon only appeals to certain groups of gamers, while GTA appeals to everyone. From the illiterate thugs who like the mindless violence to the intellectual gamers who want to see a unique storyline and interesting gameplay, people from any measure of the spectrum want GTAV.

No.
Just no.

I've never met a single intelligent person in my life who has ever supported a game like GTA.

The "unique storyline and interesting gameplay" is not intelligent at all and it is a disgrace to call it as such. Also, to say that GTA caters to a large group of people is flawed as the majority of people who buy it are immature children or casual gamers.

As for if Pokemon X and Y could beat the GTAV sales?
I believe that it can as other series already have.

"everyone who likes what I don't like is a child or immature idiot"

It's pathetic how a majority of the gaming community thinks this way.
---
Steam and GamerTag: Phanir || 3DS FC: 1418-6781-7928
Unofficial Indie Game Reviewer: http://indieadventure.co.uk/author/phanir/
#122InhaledCornPosted 9/20/2013 5:10:19 PM
I find it hilarious that people think GTA5 is a game for all ages.

It's primary demographic is boys between 15-25, though the game does get in the hands of younger players than that. (And there's a story in GTA5? I call bulls***.) In the older group, it's more likely the owners bought the game with their own money. I also doubt the game is the reason people are going out there to buy a PS3 or XBox 360, especially since one is going to be cycled out by its predecessor very soon.

Pokemon, however, is aimed at young boys and girls while keeping the same core elements that appealed to the people who grew up with the game series who, like me, are likely in their 20-30s by now. Many of the older group will probably end up buying both sets of games, and, for the ones with families, will probably also buy the bundle pack with the system for their children.

You also have to remember that the United States isn't the only country in the world. GTA5 sold well here because a vast majority of Americans enjoy mindless violence. However, Pokemon is being released worldwide simultaneously. Japan plays more games than we do, and they generally have a preference for cutsie stuff (There's a reason the "American Kirby is Hardcore" trope exists). Japan is going to eat this game up, and, like someone else has pointed out, Monster Hunter did extremely well over there. Also, while not as large a gaming community, Europe does't even have GTA5 yet. Unlike us, they don't have a decision to make (as it seems they don't get it until March 15th, but I'm not 100% on this information).

However, GTAV will probably make more money by itself than Pokemon will. But, Pokemon will likely push sales of the handhelds meaning they'll probably balance out.
---
3DS FC: 2578-3118-6645 PSN: PowahBoxers
I need to play Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door again...
#123Biased_GamerPosted 9/20/2013 5:18:08 PM
Mewtwo_soul posted...
RingsOfUranus posted...
Off topic, Mewtwo_soul, haven't I seen you on the XBOX One board?

I'm on many boards. Across 3DS: Wii U, PS3/PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Vita, etc.

I'm also on many boards, and as you can tell from my signature, I also go to the Gotcha Force and Digimon boards...though not as often... <_<'
---
Not changing the top sig until a new Gotcha Force video game is announced. (7/11/2013)
Official Susanoomon of nowhere accepted.
#124SuperRup91Posted 9/20/2013 5:23:32 PM
Doubtful. GTA is one of the most widely known game franchises (for better or worse), and this game definitely received a ton of hype before release. Not that pokemon isn't being hyped or anything, but GTA by default does have a much larger following.

I do have to point out that GTA V absolutely deserves the acclaim it is receiving. That game is amazing. Rockstar definitely went all out with developing it. The sales figures and ratings this game is generating is 100% deserving.

I am and always will be a bigger pokemon fan, so I am still super excited for X/Y and the are going to be the game that holds my attention for a long time to come, but GTAV is such a great game and it does make waiting for the release of X/Y much more tolerable.
#125SirPiercePosted 9/20/2013 5:26:56 PM
Well, you are putting two super hyped games against each other. One costs $40 and one costs $60. So, sales wise...Pokemon may not pass GTA, but number wise overall...it's pretty likely.

Also, as has been mentioned...Pokemon is a system seller...whereas GTAV is not.

Also, people talking numbers...GTAV seems extremely front loaded. $800 Million in 24 hours followed by about $200 Million in the next two days? That's a massive drop off if that's the case.
---
Xerneas, The DNAntler Pokemon
Currently Awaiting...SSBU, SSB3DS, Pokemon X, Pokemon Y and Watch Dogs.
#126SOAD5657Posted 9/20/2013 5:29:05 PM
gladwyn101 posted...
Mewtwo_soul posted...
gladwyn101 posted...
Mewtwo_soul posted...
Which explains why Pokemon is the #2 selling game in the world and GTA last I checked was in the teens. (Like 15th most selling)

>.> No. Just no.

This. GTA is a horrible game from a moral standard. I fail to see why GTA is popular in the first place.

Let's not bring moral arguments into this. I'm actually a person that plays GTA, I do think people are underestimating Pokemon's fan base though.

Not trying to start a moral argument, since everyone knows that GTA is morally obscene. Just saying I don't understand it's popularity given its lack of moral decency or potential thereof. I fail to see the popularity factor in a game where you can't be a "good guy." Can someone explain this to me? What is the redeeming factor?

Troll post.
---
GET a load of THIS!!!!!
#127Zarren364Posted 9/20/2013 5:33:15 PM
I hope you realize that it didn't sell a billion units, and that it just made a billion dollars. With that said, I think it could be possible in the long run, but I doubt that it will happen in the first few days.
---
I am the Anti-troll. Your poll needs a bacon option.
GLAD GANG l SSS l No.XII l OPBC-Wargle I R - Zarren
#128Chiron11Posted 9/20/2013 5:35:58 PM
Pokemon is not going to come close.

The reasons are numerous, the fact that many more people have a PS3 or XB than a 3DS is a main contributor, as is the fact that Pokemon is mainly aimed at kids.

You can just look at the numbers and no GTA V will outsell X and Y in a landslide.

GTA IV has sold over 25 million copies. Black and White have sold over 15 million.
GTA SA has sold over 28 million copies. Diamond and Pearl has sold over 18 million copies.

GTA V is currently sitting on 13 million, after less than a week. That's about what IV sold in four months. Realistically, V could end up selling around 35 million - it's drawn far more people in than its predecessors due to the sheer vastness of its size.

Pokemon X and Y could pull in 25 million, if we're being optimistic. People are more optimistic about Pokemon in the past - I know a lot of people that are quite excited about it, but I think more realistically X and Y will sell around 20 million copies.
---
Pokemon Diamond Friend Code: 0774 - 5715 - 7697
Super Smash Bros Brawl Friend Code: 1719 - 6156 - 1939
#129SuperRup91Posted 9/20/2013 5:38:23 PM(edited)
TalesOfGod posted...
I've never met a single intelligent person in my life who has ever supported a game like GTA.

The "unique storyline and interesting gameplay" is not intelligent at all and it is a disgrace to call it as such.

I think this statement says a lot about your intelligence if you cannot see the brilliant satire present in the games.

To be honest, I have never been a huge GTA fan. IV never really held my interest for too long. It just didn't play right to me. I never played any other GTA games either. So I definitely wouldn't call myself a huge fan of the series (although V blew me out of the water).

Rockstar's attention to detail is outstanding. Whether it's their TV shows and radio stations or the clever dialogue and interactions between characters, they create a brilliant social commentary on urban America.

You probably have never played the games if you are criticizing their storytelling ability. Criticize their gameplay? fine, it definitely isn't perfect. But you must only know of GTA through Fox news articles about outraged parents if you think it is only a game of mindless violence and mayhem.
#130VIIVincentPosted 9/20/2013 5:37:11 PM
i love Pokemon to death and way more than GTA. heck, the longest GTA i've ever played is San Andreas and i've yet to beat it. but even i know better. Pokemon cant top GTA. although, it would be surprising.
---
The end is nigh! *continues playing game*