This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which Gen Had the Best Early Pokemon Selection?

#21SMASHKING84Posted 9/20/2013 6:34:20 PM
CM_PLUNGE posted...
SMASHKING84 posted...
do events count?
if so then gen 3 because of the wishmaker event.

An Hoenn baby had to come and ruin the logic.

I'm going to say BW2 also.

shut up.
---
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT2wyCXJ72s
#22agent9149(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 6:36:37 PM
Proto_Spark posted...
Definitely BW2. IN the first two Gyms, we can catch:
Mareep
Riolu
Magby/Elekid
Magnemite
Growlithe
Koffing
Psyduck
Azurill
That's 8 great pokemon you can get ridiculously early. After that its probably Sinnoh, for the pokeon mentioned above. Although, Kanto isn't that bad.. There's Spearow/Fearow, Mankey, Nidoran, Geodude, and Magikarp. Not much, but its something at least.

only before first gyms
#23Sloth9230Posted 9/20/2013 6:38:36 PM
agent9149 posted...
Proto_Spark posted...
Definitely BW2. B4 the first Gym, we can catch:
Mareep
Riolu
Psyduck
Azurill
That's 4 great pokemon you can get ridiculously early. After that its probably Sinnoh, for the pokeon mentioned above. Although, Kanto isn't that bad.. There's Spearow/Fearow, Mankey, Nidoran, Geodude, and Magikarp. Not much, but its something at least.

only before first gyms

k. Riolu is beast mode though, so B2/W2 still wins.
#24RudokuPosted 9/20/2013 6:40:56 PM
BW2, because really. Followed by DPPlt because all you needed was your starter's 3rd form and Staraptor to wreck face.
---
Magical Scientist is more perfect than EotS because you get to shoot dinosaurs out of a turtle.
#25DragrathPosted 9/20/2013 7:01:34 PM(edited)
I'd say In order from best to worst:
(1)Gen-5:access to the azuril, Riolu,venipede among others(not factoring that good stuff just keeps coming early on) in B/W2,B/W suffer a bit though with some limited lines though lilipup is definitely viable, and the elemental monkeys help out until you can get a better replacement(for the grass or fire water was worth keeping though))

(2)Gen-4:Starly,Gyarados,Budew,Shinx etc for Sinnoh,Jotto still sufers but Pokewalker helped if you used it and assuming it counts... also you get Gastly early on!(geodude and zubat could help in long run as well)

(3)Gen-3: several good (or at least effective)lines were only found early on. Shroomish,Ralts,Lotad,Slakoth(kind of),Zigzagoon is one of the best HM slaves ever w/ Pickup and the ability to learn many, many HMs. gen 1 remakes suffer gen 1 distribution

(4)Gen2:not the best, but there was early access to geodude gastly and zubat gained an evo making it not useless(though still impossible to train early on)

(1)Gen1:lackluster early on with early game lines all being fairly weak and decent Pokemon not really appearing until after Brock though as it was the first game what can you expect?
#26NextgrandcrossPosted 9/20/2013 7:05:56 PM
BW2 Hands down for Riolu alone, I couldn't freaking believe it at first when it first popped up from the grass.

Then they gave you Mareep, Azurill, Psyduck, Sunkern, Sewaddle, and I think Dunsparce too right off the bat like that, that's what I like, uniqueness with the first area Pokemon instead of the boring Flyer, dog and rodent thing they pulled with past games.

And jeez, as if that ain't enough, beyond the first Gym they give you Eleckid, Magby, Magnemite, and Growlithe, all of which become freaking demons eventually

And I'm hoping they do that again in Gen 6 with the more unique beginner Route pokemon. With 6 generations of pokemon in these games, their shouldn't be an excuse.
#27RPGgamer777Posted 9/20/2013 7:08:21 PM(edited)
Genwun - pidgey/caterpie/rattata | sand attack/string shot/tail whip
---
"Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt." - Act I Scene IV
#28NanaboboPosted 9/20/2013 7:08:03 PM
Gen V for sure. In BW2, you could get Riolu, Mareep, Azurill, and Lillipup in one of the first areas!
---
ACNL Dream Address 4100-2150-3577
#29MagmastaPosted 9/20/2013 7:08:34 PM
I agree with platinum having the worst selection. When I replay that game I can never make my team all that cool. It's always luxray, starwrecker, and the starter. It takes a really long time to add anyone else to the team because a majority of the pokemon are all in later routes.

Sometimes I just like to use the pokemon I'm using through the whole game, as suppose to using the same pokemon at the beginning just to win a few battles then ditching them.

Platinum didn't really allow this, you were mostly stuck with your starter until mid way when the selection really started to show.
---
Bowser is a Tarasque and Magmar is a legend
#30JarickoPosted 9/20/2013 7:11:24 PM
Crystal. No not the remakes of gen 2 but gen 2 itself. From the get go you can pick Cyndaquil, Grab a Mareep, a poliwag or wooper and a phanpy ( not as easy to get as of gen 4 remakes ). I feel like i should mention gastly but gastly sucks for 20 levels or so, same with zubat who is also eventually awesome but sucks at the start.
---
Jaricko - Official Venustoise of the omniverse / bacon in the fridge for all those who cry out in hunger of the Gamefaq's 3ds boards.