This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does Soak work on Shedinja?

#11LazorFistPosted 9/21/2013 5:09:08 AM
There's also a Pokestar studios movie where you could use Soak on a Dark/Ghost opponent (the Maijin) with Wonder Guard so you could damage them.
#12Windyligth(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 5:58:22 PM
I've been away from this board for too long. Still creeping on people these days, TJ?

Anyways, after losing about 100 points in rating, I've gotten this to work ALMOST 60% of the time. The thing about using this is that you really can't count on Shedinja to pull through, so if you make the whole team based on his survival, you're probably going to lose.

Using Shedinja to lead is a really bad idea. Chances are at least one of their guys can hit Shedinja, so leading with a field effect and pokes that abuse it is a good idea. Like, once I started leading with Politoed or a TR user, my battles got easier.

Eventually you get a "toxic" sense. You'd think that a move that nearly every poke can learn would be hard to predict, but it's surprisingly not. There's those pokes who's stally-ass demeanor just screams Toxic user. If I see an Umbreon, Dusclops, Brozong, etc, I know there's a good chance you have toxic.

I found that keeping Shedinja alive is surprisingly easier in doubles. Between a focus sash, protect, and the ability to switch when things get sketchy, Shedinja's HP problem isn't THAT hard to get around. As you become more aware to the pokes that kill him, you get better at preventing him from being killed. And of course, wonderguard, under the right circumstances, makes surviving a piece of cake.

No, surviving wasn't the main issue here. It was hitting back. The set up for this takes to long to just outright plan from the start. By the time Shedinja's soaked, one or two of your guys are dead. So it's better to have the Soak user and Shedinja just wait on the bench until you see an opportunity to really abuse them.

If the opponent can't hit Shedinja, they'll probably just attack the other guy instead of switching to something that can. Abuse this by spamming Swords Dance. Also, if your other pokes have Psych Up, Shedinja can share the love.

Having the ligthingrod poke and the Soak user be the same pokemon was a bad idea. All you really need is a ligthningrod poke waiting to switch if it needs to. I had Rhyperior as mine, which worked out pretty well. I dunno if people are just used to it having solid rock or what, but there were multiple occasions where people just kept using electric attacks again and again, as if ligthningrod runs out after a turn or so.

Trick Room is the ideal conditions for Soaking Shedinja, so it's a good idea to have a TR user. This has synergy with not only Sheddy, but with the soaker and Rhyperior as well. Just don't build the whole team around TR, cause it won't be up as nearly as long as it would in a dedicated TR team. Most of the time it won't be around, but when it is it makes setting up a lot easier.

However, TR's not a necessity. Just pay attention to what's on the field, and act when you notice a potential opportunity.

Packing a weather inducer is also good. You'll see hail and sand occasionally, and if you just let the weather remain s****y you're basically making it a 5-6. I used a Politoed and a Prankster Rain Dancer, but I'd imagine there's some stuff that works better.

If you can't soak Shedinja, soak Rhyperior. Some players won't really know how to handle a water-type Rhyperior in the most efficient manner. Occasionally you'll get some people that think they can hit it with electric type moves now, which is kinda cool I guess. Also, STAB Aqua Tail in the rain with 140 base attack, 252 EVs, and an Adamant nature breaks houses.
---
I am here to promote the discussion and appreciation of Fennekin.
#13Windyligth(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 7:01:20 PM
Currently using Alomomola as a Soaker/wish passer, and a Shuckle to give the rest of the team some bulk. It's working well so far.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogondoubles-52205739
---
#14Ether_SwordPosted 9/21/2013 7:07:41 PM
I didn't post before but since some "trolls" caught on your topic, I want to say these battles and your thoughts are interesting and makes me think of some interesting strategies too.
---
Currently Playing: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
#15JarickoPosted 9/21/2013 7:14:00 PM
Windyligth posted...
I've been thinkin, what if we could get a Ligthningrod user to use Soak on Shedinja in doubles?

Seems like a somewhat solid plan but do not forget that burn, weather, poison ect can all kill it indirectly thus bypassing the ability. They do not need grass to kill it in your setup.
---
Jaricko - Official Venustoise of the omniverse / bacon in the fridge for all those who cry out in hunger of the Gamefaq's 3ds boards.
#16Dr Edward RoivasPosted 9/21/2013 7:15:12 PM
I used Soak to beat Drayden in White 2. I didn't have any Ice or Dragon moves, so I just turned his mons weak to Electric and Grass.

But as you know, anything works ingame.
---
A real squid? That's even worse than an illusion! Where's my shotgun?
#17Genius_SagePosted 9/21/2013 8:30:15 PM
Dont know why wonder gaurd doesn't block ANYTHING but SE direct hits.
---
FC - 4639-8953-6150
#18Windyligth(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 8:40:10 PM
Here's the team I ended up settling on.

Florance (Alomomola) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Soak
- Waterfall
- Psych Up
- Wish

Aladeen (Shedinja) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Wonder Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk
- X-Scissor
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Xocoyotzin (Politoed) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Wilhelmina (Cresselia) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Protect
- Moonlight
- Toxic
- Trick Room

Vlad (Rhyperior) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Tail
- Protect

Tlaxcala (Shuckle) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Protect
- Acupressure
- Guard Split
- Power Split

Welp, that was fun, but I'm going back to my regular teams now. I lost a good bit of rating before I learned to use it, and I'm still not getting much back. I'll probably come back to this topic later.
---
#19JarickoPosted 9/21/2013 8:45:11 PM
Windyligth posted...
Here's the team I ended up settling on.

Florance (Alomomola) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Soak
- Waterfall
- Psych Up
- Wish

Aladeen (Shedinja) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk
- X-Scissor
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Xocoyotzin (Politoed) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Wilhelmina (Cresselia) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Protect
- Moonlight
- Toxic
- Trick Room

Vlad (Rhyperior) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Tail
- Protect

Tlaxcala (Shuckle) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Protect
- Acupressure
- Guard Split
- Power Split

Welp, that was fun, but I'm going back to my regular teams now. I lost a good bit of rating before I learned to use it, and I'm still not getting much back. I'll probably come back to this topic later.

Eh unless your at a 2000 + rating, rating hardly matters anyhow. And even then I have beat 2000+ people on showdown before. I mostly just toy around on there and try stuff.
---
Jaricko - Official Venustoise of the omniverse / bacon in the fridge for all those who cry out in hunger of the Gamefaq's 3ds boards.