This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wait Can't We Artificially Create Infinite Rare Pokemon With Downloadable Games?

#1aDirtyShisnoPosted 9/21/2013 7:48:55 AM
1. Get one of a kind rare distribution only Pokemon.

2. Backup save to computer.

3. Trade away Pokemon / store it in the Bank.

4. Restore old save.

5. Repeat ad infinum.

Am I right or is there actually some way to prevent this?
---
...and he was never heard from again.
#2bonannPosted 9/21/2013 7:49:58 AM
Your 3DS will corrupt your file in a heart beat.
---
3DS: 4313 - 0687- 5263 | AC: NL Town: Aries
#3beebarbPosted 9/21/2013 8:13:16 AM
Certain 3DS downloadable titles are save backup locked with the backup utility*.

However, the content isn't actually locked on the SD card. I thought backing up such locked titles required backing up the whole SD card, but then I had a bit of inspiration.

I won't post the process unless someone who needs it asks, especially considering many of you may be smart enough to figure it out.

bonann posted...

No it won't, you're just being rediculous. As far as the game would be concerned nothing has changed.

*odd thing about the 3DS' inbuilt backup utility, is it copies the save to a 'backup' subfolder of the 3DS folder on the SD card, so you still have to dig through folders a bit on your PC or Mac.

At least it almost negates the need for a full SD card backup.
---
Experience beats bias, but words on the Internet are meaningless.
3DS XL FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 0047-4149-5185 / White FC: 0348-0626-6780
#4GensokyoPosted 9/21/2013 8:16:30 AM
beebarb posted...
bonann posted...

No it won't, you're just being rediculous. As far as the game would be concerned nothing has changed.

I like how you actually thought he was serious.
#5beebarbPosted 9/21/2013 8:20:06 AM
Gensokyo posted...
beebarb posted...
bonann posted...

I like how you actually thought he was serious.

Why is it that I have to explain each time? Perhaps the limitations of text are too much.
Sometimes a 'serious' response is not what it seems, but is just posted for the laugh.

Plus, it doesn't hurt to help those who really think that.
---
3DS XL FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 0047-4149-5185 / White FC: 0348-0626-6780
#6zurcnPosted 9/21/2013 9:00:25 AM
From what I've been told

1. Get one of a kind rare distribution only Pokemon.
> yes

2. Backup save to computer.
> useless, see 4

3. Trade away Pokemon / store it in the Bank.
> yes

4. Restore old save.
> when you do any online trading in pokemon the game saves (you know this already, bear with it)
the 3ds has an internal track of save file versions
if you replace the current save with a previous version of it (as in 2 above) the 3ds will currupt the save

5. Repeat ad infinum.
> you can still do this, it's probably easier and faster to simply do it like we have always abused GTS clonning

else, just keep restarting the game and get extra copies of the dowload (limited to the period of distribution)
---
Don't worry about it. I laugh automatically whenever I hold sharp objects. - Machi - Nagasarete Airantou
http://youtu.be/iTJtTiQYlNU
#7Great_ReapettePosted 9/21/2013 9:01:12 AM
You Know, When You Type Like This, It Looks A Little Stupid.
---
Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.
#8zurcnPosted 9/21/2013 9:17:56 AM
Great_Reapette posted...

I agree, so.. why exactly are you doing it?
---
Don't worry about it. I laugh automatically whenever I hold sharp objects. - Machi - Nagasarete Airantou
http://youtu.be/iTJtTiQYlNU
#9Great_ReapettePosted 9/21/2013 9:20:31 AM
zurcn posted...
Great_Reapette posted...

I agree, so.. why exactly are you doing it?

(that's the joke)

(also showing another example)
---
Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.
#10beebarbPosted 9/21/2013 9:29:35 AM
zurcn posted...
the 3ds has an internal track of save file versions
if you replace the current save with a previous version of it (as in 2 above) the 3ds will currupt the save

You are actually wrong here, the 3DS doesn't keep track of save file versions. If it did there wouldn't be any point to them adding the save backup utility in system software 6.0.0.

If the 3DS kept track of save versions, my little recovery trick for game saves from corrupted SD cards for games that are backup locked wouldn't work either, and that one person I helped would have lost their Monster Hunter save forever.

The recovery trick at one stage involves creating a new save in the affected game to act as a placeholder for the recovered file, since the new save is newer than the recovered file, your theory says that the recovered file would be immediately corrupted.
---