This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wait Can't We Artificially Create Infinite Rare Pokemon With Downloadable Games?

#11MaplesGrandGMPosted 9/21/2013 8:41:16 AM
Your secret, isn't very secret. People already do this with tons of 3DS games, which is also why we know it doesn't keep track of saves. They've been doing it with Dream Radar since it came out, though, I'm not sure about other games, as I can't imagine many other games have much use for the abuse.

Of course, recovery would be one reason, but I'm pretty sure if you just back up your entire SD card, you don't need placeholders.
#12zurcnPosted 9/21/2013 8:48:55 AM
beebarb posted...
zurcn posted...
the 3ds has an internal track of save file versions
if you replace the current save with a previous version of it (as in 2 above) the 3ds will currupt the save

You are actually wrong here, the 3DS doesn't keep track of save file versions. If it did there wouldn't be any point to them adding the save backup utility in system software 6.0.0.

If the 3DS kept track of save versions, my little recovery trick for game saves from corrupted SD cards for games that are backup locked wouldn't work either, and that one person I helped would have lost their Monster Hunter save forever.

The recovery trick at one stage involves creating a new save in the affected game to act as a placeholder for the recovered file, since the new save is newer than the recovered file, your theory says that the recovered file would be immediately corrupted.

glad to be wrong
---
Don't worry about it. I laugh automatically whenever I hold sharp objects. - Machi - Nagasarete Airantou
http://youtu.be/iTJtTiQYlNU
#13ChaosMew161Posted 9/21/2013 8:50:43 AM
Hey, TC! Stop Typing Like This, It's Very Annoying. And Stupid.
---
When it comes to Pokemon, I like Generation V over Generation I. Flame me.
3DS Friend Code: 2406-5121-4760 (PM me if you added me with your FC!)
#14beebarbPosted 9/21/2013 8:52:12 AM
MaplesGrandGM posted...
Your secret, isn't very secret. People already do this with tons of 3DS games, which is also why we know it doesn't keep track of saves. They've been doing it with Dream Radar since it came out, though, I'm not sure about other games, as I can't imagine many other games have much use for the abuse.

Of course, recovery would be one reason, but I'm pretty sure if you just back up your entire SD card, you don't need placeholders.

1. I don't think I ever called it a secret.

2. It's true that placeholders aren't needed in most circumstances. The particular circumstances of that Monster Hunter scenario were rather unusual.
---
Experience beats bias, but words on the Internet are meaningless.
3DS XL FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 0047-4149-5185 / White FC: 0348-0626-6780
#15aDirtyShisno(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 2:09:52 PM
Great_Reapette posted...
You Know, When You Type Like This, It Looks A Little Stupid.

ChaosMew161 posted...

Title Case.

Because, as you may not have noticed, it's only like that in the title.

Gee I sure hope you two just haven't yet learned that in school. Otherwise, it would make you look well, like that.
---
...and he was never heard from again.
#16beebarbPosted 9/21/2013 2:14:38 PM
aDirtyShisno posted...
Great_Reapette posted...

ChaosMew161 posted...

Title Case.

Gee I sure hope you two just haven't yet learned that in school. Otherwise, it would make you look well, like that.

It's true that it is title case, but 'can't', 'we' and 'with' should not have been capitalised. Even title case has some exceptions.
---
Experience beats bias, but words on the Internet are meaningless.
3DS XL FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 0047-4149-5185 / White FC: 0348-0626-6780
#17aDirtyShisno(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 2:23:17 PM
beebarb posted...
aDirtyShisno posted...
Great_Reapette posted...

ChaosMew161 posted...

Title Case.

It's true that it is title case, but 'can't', 'we' and 'with' should not have been capitalised. Even title case has some exceptions.

There are three or four different ways to write in title case, usually picking one depending on circumstances.

I picked "Lazy Man's".

:p

No seriously, that is what it is called. Simple Title Case, aka Lazy Man's. Capitalize every word.
---
...and he was never heard from again.
#18Great_ReapettePosted 9/21/2013 2:25:36 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#19Great_ReapettePosted 9/21/2013 2:27:21 PM
aDirtyShisno posted...
beebarb posted...
aDirtyShisno posted...
Great_Reapette posted...

ChaosMew161 posted...

Title Case.

There are three or four different ways to write in title case, usually picking one depending on circumstances.

I picked "Lazy Man's".

:p

No seriously, that is what it is called. Simple Title Case, aka Lazy Man's. Capitalize every word.

Yeah, no, see, the way I learned it, you don't capitalise conjunctions or prepositions. Unless they're at the start or end.
---
Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.