This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

people who refer to an entire species of pokemon by gendered pronouns irk me

#21LibranFirePosted 9/21/2013 1:36:32 PM
It doesn't annoy me if their Pokemon is a certain gender, such as: "Shockey is my Electivire. There are many like him, but this one's mine."

Also, If a species is only one gender, then it is fine IMO: "Gallade is a cool Pokemon. I have him on my team."

If they refer to the whole species, it doesn't irk me, but I find it quite incorrect, and that tells me that the person isn't smart enough to distinguish Pokeman from Pokewoman
#22ZeroRidley(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 1:45:35 PM
JacK_1S_BK posted...
Lol, this TC. She seems to think his pet peeves are worthy of a topic.

of course my pet peeves are worthy of a topic. everyone must know about what gets under my skin the most along with every other unimportant aspect of my mundane life. what else is the internet for?
---
http://i.imgur.com/3PNApA2.png
#23SorceressTharjaPosted 9/21/2013 4:23:07 PM
Working strictly with the English language, "he" is correct for all non-female only species of Pokemon, in which case "she" is correct.
#24CakeOfLiesPosted 9/21/2013 4:33:16 PM
Think about it this way.
Scizor can be a either a he or a she, but NEVER an "it."
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3139-7420-3142 - THIEF
#25NINKOjINPosted 9/21/2013 5:04:29 PM
Don_of_Blades posted...
All will be referred to as male till proven otherwise, "-first decree of the internet."

This is how I handle it.
---
My other signature is epic.
#26Twilight_SonataPosted 9/21/2013 5:17:17 PM
SorceressTharja posted...
Working strictly with the English language, "he" is correct for all non-female only species of Pokemon.

No, it is not. The idea that "he" in English is gender-neutral is archaic. Will you find style guides that tell you it's okay? Yes. And those styles guides are outdated and have no idea what they're talking about.

As "nitpicky" as people may think this is, TC is totally right. If you're referring to a whole species as "he" or "she", then unless that species really is single-sexed, you are wrong. You don't have to change, but you are wrong.
#27Twilight_SonataPosted 9/21/2013 5:19:48 PM
CakeOfLies posted...
Think about it this way.
Scizor can be a either a he or a she, but NEVER an "it."

That makes no sense. A specific individual Scizor can be a he or a she, but a general Scizor as a species is an it. This is the same as it is for Humans. A general Human is an it; a specific individual Human is a he or she or they.
#28Thepenguinking2Posted 9/21/2013 5:23:21 PM
I usually prefer to call them by their appearance and gender ratios. For example, Big and threatening pokemon I call "He", and Cute pokemon I call "She". The only exceptions are Togekiss and Granbull, which I call He and She respectively.
---
"The best part about the internet is that you can make up quotes"George Washington
Official Shadow Zangoose of the X board and WF!
#29KeeperOfShadowsPosted 9/21/2013 6:05:02 PM
I'm more irked that people actually give a s*** about grammar online.
---
A voice of reason, in a chaotic realm.
"Are you angry? Do you hate me?"
#30EstheimasterPosted 9/21/2013 6:08:53 PM
I feel like calling them its is insulting to them completely. I'd rather call them what gender mine have been in the past.
---
The Official Bulbasaur of Pokemon X's board
Bowser Jr, T Zelda, Ridley, Palutena, Pittoo, Isaac, Shulk, Mewtwo, Robin, Balloon Fight, Crono, Mii, Megaman, Neku