This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Haven't Played a Pokemon Game Since Red and Blue...

#1Nintendogenie00Posted 9/21/2013 8:57:36 PM
I didn't feel like they were changing much in the games overall but with this generation coming out I realize that I've missed so much.

How is Pokemon now compared to back then? Any notable changes/additions/improvements?
#2Sloth9230Posted 9/21/2013 8:58:19 PM
Yes.
#3YamiJustinPosted 9/21/2013 9:03:50 PM
It's been more than 10 years since the first games came out. So I would assume there was, at the very least, SOME change! Lol "noticeable changes".

This isn't COD
#4JackSolomonPosted 9/21/2013 9:13:42 PM(edited)
I'll just list off everything that's changed and added, 'k?

Differences in gender between Pokemon. These differences range from appearance, to stats, to moves.
Abilities, special traits each Pokemon has that effect a battle, ranging from what moves work on them, to changing certain stats when they enter the fight.
Steel, Dark, and Fairy types.
Friendship: Each Pokemon has a hidden friendship stat that determines how much they like you, this can effect some moves, and trigger evolutions for some Pokemon.
Day/Night Cycle.
Running.
Breeding: You can breed Pokemon to unlock special moves, abilities, and so on.
Traits: Pokemon have various personalities and quirks. Like a Pokemon might be Brave, and like to win. These can effect their stats, both positively and negatively.
EDIT: Physical/Special Split: Attack and Defense has been split into Physical and Special. Some moves the Physical Attack stat, others use the Special Attack. A Pokemon's corresponding Defense determines how well they stand up to those attacks.

In this Gen alone:
3D Graphics, this includes Pokemon models, and the world itself.
Character Customization.
Pokemon Amie, which allows you interact with, feed, pet, and play with your Pokemon.
Super Training, minigames which boost your Pokemon's stats.
Rollerskates, which are faster than running.
You will get both the starters of Kanto (the region in Red and Blue), and the new starters of this region early on.
Mega Evolution, temporary evolutions which boost a Pokemon's power dramatically in combat, along with granting them new abilities.
You can ride Pokemon, which will allow you to leap up ledges.
Lots of new Pokemon.
An entirely new region to explore.
You can sit on benches.

What am I forgetting?
#5Sloth9230Posted 9/21/2013 9:11:18 PM
JackSolomon posted...
I'll just list off everything that's changed and added, 'k?

Differences in gender between Pokemon. These differences range from appearance, to stats, to moves.
Abilities, special traits each Pokemon has that effect a battle, ranging from what moves work on them, to changing certain stats when they enter the fight.
Steel, Dark, and Fairy types.
Friendship: Each Pokemon has a hidden friendship stat that determines how much they like you, this can effect some moves, and trigger evolutions for some Pokemon.
Day/Night Cycle.
Running.
Breeding: You can breed Pokemon to unlock special moves, abilities, and so on.
Traits: Pokemon have various personalities and quirks. Like a Pokemon might be Brave, and like to win. These can effect their stats, both positively and negatively.

In this Gen alone:
3D Graphics, this includes Pokemon models, and the world itself.
Character Customization.
Pokemon Amie, which allows you interact with, feed, pet, and play with your Pokemon.
Super Training, minigames which boost your Pokemon's stats.
Rollerskates, which are faster than running.
You will get both the starters of Kanto (the region in Red and Blue), and the new starters of this region early on.
Mega Evolution, temporary evolutions which boost a Pokemon's power dramatically in combat, along with granting them new abilities.
You can ride Pokemon, which will allow you to leap up ledges.
Lots of new Pokemon.
An entirely new region to explore.
You can sit on benches.

What am I forgetting?

Physical/special split
#6Missingno_MastrPosted 9/21/2013 9:13:37 PM
Yeah, the physical/special split is kind of a major thing. Instead of the type determining whether an attack is physical or special, it's determined by the nature of each attack. For instance, Sludge used to be a physical move, but is now a special attack. Conversely, Fire Punch used to be a special attack, but is now a physical move.
---
http://warflame.wikia.com/wiki/Missingno._Master http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9247960/1/404-Error
http://gottaglitchemall.smackjeeves.com/
#7EternalNetherPosted 9/21/2013 9:14:51 PM
I second the physical special split.

What else are you missing? The exploration of some fantastic regions out there. With the exception of the lackluster Johto (In my opinion of course), the other regions are all fantastic. Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova are all very unique and amazing in different ways.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0619-3902-4035
Pokemon White Friend Code:0433-9592-2992
#8JackSolomonPosted 9/21/2013 9:15:37 PM
Sloth9230 posted...
Physical/special split

This admission has been rectified. Anything else?
#9Nintendogenie00(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 9:15:44 PM
YamiJustin posted...
It's been more than 10 years since the first games came out. So I would assume there was, at the very least, SOME change! Lol "noticeable changes".

This isn't COD

notable not noticeable...
#10Nintendogenie00(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 9:17:51 PM
You can visit the old regions too in this one?