This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Among rivals, why does Hugh get so much hate?

#1Lux_SentouPosted 9/22/2013 4:37:33 PM
I mean, other than barry, who took a lot of heat for a while, more people seem to dislike hugh than almost any other rival, from what I've seen. Nowadays, even barry seems to be decently liked.

Personally, I felt Hugh to be a nice change of pace out of the rivals. He wasn't the "hello friend, lets have a friendly no-stakes battle of friendly friendliness" that we've been plagued with since gen 3 (brandon/may, barry, bianca), nor was he a poor-man's blue ripoff (cheren). He actually had motivation beyond just "i wanna beat you just because" and, story wise, was genre savvy enough to abuse the rival system ( battling each other in order for both to become stronger. Theoretically) to achieve his aims. People complain that he wasn't strong enough, but he was a hell of a lot better than brandon/may who were out of the game before even evolving their starter.

He wasn't great, but I don't see why he's so disliked
---
I cannot protect you without holding a sword.
I cannot embrace you while holding a sword.
#2Sticky_DerpPosted 9/22/2013 4:38:15 PM
I don't know. I haven't played BW2 yet. I love his design though so I have high expectations.
---
Fox news get's a pass because they have to go against reality's liberal bias. - SilentS89
#3PlasmashedgehogPosted 9/22/2013 4:38:38 PM
Because >"I'm going to unleash my rage now" *sends out pokemon*
---
someone in a parallel dimension is trying to find Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up",but can only find videos of the upcoming pokemon.
#4lordlugia_rocksPosted 9/22/2013 4:38:52 PM
A) Design and B) My sister's Purrloin.... when there's purrloins everywhere.

I mostly think it's the design, but character wise he's one of the better ones imo.
---
#RememberTheManticore - SMITE
"I'll bait you and outsmart you" - nobody important
#5Hughs_RagePosted 9/22/2013 4:39:04 PM
People don't recognize perfection. <3
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdtqd6EJTY1qlpahho1_500.jpg My husbando <3
QWILFISH for Smash 4! Also waiting on Qwilfish's Megalution, QWILSHARK!
#6EpsteinBarrPosted 9/22/2013 4:39:30 PM
Because of his rage. Over a Purrloin.
#7Thepenguinking2Posted 9/22/2013 4:39:41 PM
Terrible hair, terrible personality (Waa purrloin waa waa), Poor teams, there is nothing not to hate about this guy.

Aside from his theme.
---
"The best part about the internet is that you can make up quotes"George Washington
Official Shadow Zangoose of the X board and WF!
#8EpsteinBarrPosted 9/22/2013 4:42:44 PM
Thepenguinking2 posted...
Terrible hair, terrible personality (Waa purrloin waa waa), Poor teams, there is nothing not to hate about this guy.

Aside from his theme.

I think he just needs a girlfriend. He's not doing himself any favor raging over a Purrloin though.
#9FuneralCakePosted 9/22/2013 4:44:27 PM
He had motivation, sure, but he also cried about it all the time. "TEAM PLASMA I WILL KILL YOU GIVE ME BACK MY SISTER'S PURRLOIN T__________T"

His team was also kinda crappy. It's a bit difficult to take him seriously when he uses an Unfezant and one of the monkeys.

But that said, he did have an awesome design and music, so I can't hate him. His character is just kind of lame.
---
YOU WANT SOME FUNERAL TO GO WITH THAT CAKE?
http://i.minus.com/ibeTNBZS1C6k9v.gif
#10jfx_zeroPosted 9/22/2013 4:47:04 PM
Cheren = poor man's Blue? He's nothing like Blue.
Blue was cocky, Cheren is confident.
Blue was constantly putting you down, Cheren is your friend and is challenged by you.
---
Check out my music page at: chrisbyerly.bandcamp.com or soundcloud.com/chris-byerly