This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"One Mega at a time" is going to ruin the point of Mega's on weaker Pokemon

#21ReachOutToTruth(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 1:23:21 PM
DLOArceus posted...
ReachOutToTruth posted...
Oh yay! Mawile got a Mega Evo! Wait, only one Mega at a time?

So I can either use Mega Mawile...or this infinitely better Mega Pokemon...but not both.

I dunno, why not just give pokemon like Absol and Mawile proper evos and leave the mega stuff to the Pokemon that were going to be used anyways.

Why should i use Absol or Mawile's evolutions when there are better Steel or Dark Pokémon around?

This is why your logic doesn't work.

Except one situation is the metagame having an indirect effect on how people choose Pokemon, and one is an artificial restriction directly limiting choice of Pokemon.

If I want to use Mewtwo and Lugia on the same team, I can.

If I want to use Mega Ampharos and Mega Mawile on the same team, I cannot.

What combination is likely to be more broken?
---
It probably takes rocks and GA GONGs people with them!
#22SorceressTharjaPosted 9/23/2013 1:27:12 PM
Golurkcanfly posted...
Hanon623 posted...
Unlike the other megas like luke and blaziken who are arguably worse off than before mawile at least has a pretty amazing megalution. It intimidates upon entry then boosts its defense further, it's new typing is incredible and with huge power it's offenses are better than Slakings. It's a very viable tank now compared to what it used to be.

Blaziken loses life orb and gains nothing else besides a boost in atk (at least luke gets a better ability) the atk increase is offset by the loss of the orb. Using mega blaziken is therefore trading power and your one mega for no recoil, i don't see anyone rationally using mega blaziken but tons using mega mawile despite the two non megas being uber and nu respectively.

Mega Evolution = Life Orb - Health Drain

As mentioned here, Blaziken's mega is probably no better off, no worse off.
Mega Lucario will probably have stronger STABs, but I see his coverage moves being about the same. Worth mentioning though, that Adaptability Close Combat is 240 power, arguably making Ice Punch much less important. As such, I think the mega fixes Lucario's 4MSS by letting it freely run Crunch.

Also, Mega Mawile is going to such badly. It's current defenses are very bad. 50/85/55. It's special defense would have to grow 3-4x to reach the same special bulk as pokemon like Jirachi, and its defense would have to grow 2x. Now, unless it genuinely gets those kinds of boosts I don't see it working as any kind of wall. It has no recovery, either - not even lefties.
#23JarickoPosted 9/23/2013 1:30:31 PM
SorceressTharja posted...
Golurkcanfly posted...
Hanon623 posted...
Unlike the other megas like luke and blaziken who are arguably worse off than before mawile at least has a pretty amazing megalution. It intimidates upon entry then boosts its defense further, it's new typing is incredible and with huge power it's offenses are better than Slakings. It's a very viable tank now compared to what it used to be.

Blaziken loses life orb and gains nothing else besides a boost in atk (at least luke gets a better ability) the atk increase is offset by the loss of the orb. Using mega blaziken is therefore trading power and your one mega for no recoil, i don't see anyone rationally using mega blaziken but tons using mega mawile despite the two non megas being uber and nu respectively.

Mega Evolution = Life Orb - Health Drain

As mentioned here, Blaziken's mega is probably no better off, no worse off.
Mega Lucario will probably have stronger STABs, but I see his coverage moves being about the same. Worth mentioning though, that Adaptability Close Combat is 240 power, arguably making Ice Punch much less important. As such, I think the mega fixes Lucario's 4MSS by letting it freely run Crunch.

Also, Mega Mawile is going to such badly. It's current defenses are very bad. 50/85/55. It's special defense would have to grow 3-4x to reach the same special bulk as pokemon like Jirachi, and its defense would have to grow 2x. Now, unless it genuinely gets those kinds of boosts I don't see it working as any kind of wall. It has no recovery, either - not even lefties.

For the longest time I thought MegaBlaziken maybe was an attempt to reset the playing field on blaziken by removing its access to the secret ability and just throwing it into a mega niche. But then the pokebank was announced. MegaMawile needs baton passing more then likely to fix its sub par speed. I can see a gear shift smeargle making it decent maybe.
---
Jaricko - Official Venustoise of the omniverse / bacon in the fridge for all those who cry out in hunger of the Gamefaq's 3ds boards.
#24PheonixFFire7Posted 9/23/2013 1:31:42 PM
I feel like if there was no limits on Megas, the game would suffer because of it. There would be no reason to NOT use a full team of Mega Pokemon, and most other strategies would become overshadowed by them.

By limiting it to one, Mega Evolutions become more of a come-back tool, or a device to play mind games with your opponent. It adds more tension to fights when you don't know WHICH of the opponent's Pokemon is their Mega until they use it. If there was no limit, you could pretty much just assume that they all are, and respond by spamming your own.

Of course, some Megas are going to be more obvious than others. Mega Mawile will be easily predictable, since Mawile has no real merits outside of mega evolving. Unlike Garchomp, which will probably still perform well enough even without its mega (perhaps even better, thanks to better Speed), so those cases might have more opportunities for mind games.

Will it be balanced? It's Game Freak, so probably not. But we have no way of knowing until we play. Perhaps the weaker Pokemon that get Mega Evolutions will receive a much more significant boost from their Mega forms than the "good" Pokemon will (evidenced by Garchomp losing Speed). So who knows.
#25The_Evil_ElfPosted 9/23/2013 1:46:55 PM(edited)
Wait, what? You think all OU competitive pokemon would be mega? Give up choice items/leftovers/life orb for some stats and a new ability and ALL pokemon use it? no sir...Many competitive battlers will take a choice item over a simple mega evolution...not to mention if a pokemon is too powerful via its mega evolution, it will go uber tier....
---
Blizzard crits you for $15
Your login is resisted by Blizzard-Slash585
#26pikachupwnagePosted 9/23/2013 2:08:32 PM
patkelly929 posted...
Mega Mawile is the only Fairy Type Mega Evolution.

It has that on it's side, plus Def & Sp Def boosts. And Huge Power, doubling it's attack. Plus when it comes in as Mawile, it Intimidates.

Oh my glob your right!

So basically it comes in Halves the opponents attack then doubles its attack, boosts its defenses and gains a new type all without even using a move? Lmao.
---
This is a work of a demon isn't it? Demons here, demons there! It's all so....demoning.
#27RudokuPosted 9/23/2013 2:10:56 PM
The_Evil_Elf posted...
Wait, what? You think all OU competitive pokemon would be mega? Give up choice items/leftovers/life orb for some stats and a new ability and ALL pokemon use it? no sir...Many competitive battlers will take a choice item over a simple mega evolution...not to mention if a pokemon is too powerful via its mega evolution, it will go uber tier....

Maybe not the good players, but you know damn well the terrible guys would spam Megas all day e'ryday. Just like the old netbattle days where you only got challenged by uber teams.
---
Magical Scientist is more perfect than EotS because you get to shoot dinosaurs out of a turtle.
#28XImperialDragonPosted 9/23/2013 4:51:03 PM
pikachupwnage posted...
patkelly929 posted...

It has that on it's side, plus Def & Sp Def boosts. And Huge Power, doubling it's attack. Plus when it comes in as Mawile, it Intimidates.

Oh my glob your right!

So basically it comes in Halves the opponents attack then doubles its attack, boosts its defenses and gains a new type all without even using a move? Lmao.

Wait, that's seriously how that's going to work? That's pretty freaking awesome even if Mawile is awful lol
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo 3DS. In this game, you set your 3DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#29SupahJemPosted 9/23/2013 4:54:41 PM
ReachOutToTruth posted...
Justwanttolook posted...
Yeah, so the majority of Pokemon would not have a shot of ever being OU, Including All Kalos pokemon. Yay!
Honestly the Limit is reasonable and you don't know how all the Pokemon in their Megaforme will compare. Just because regular Ampharos isn't as viable as Garchomp, doesn't mean that it is the case for their Mega-Formes.

Again, not seeing the issue. Why does something NEED to be OU? UU, RU, Little Cup, etc. are all perfectly viable, widely accepted metagames.

And it will happen. Heck, maybe even the inverse will happen and say, Mega Lucario will be useless. It's what ALWAYS happens in a game with a competitive scene, you can't perfectly balance a roster of hundreds of characters.

Legendary Pokemon aren't limited to one a team, but are likely far more broken than any mega will ever be.

Because the most common form of competitive pokemon battling is OU. Gamefreak cares about balance, or they would have no limit on it

Additionally, Pokemon battles would take a lot longer if we have to watch 12 mega evolutions per battle. "Well let me go make a sandwich while he mega-evolves his 6th pokmeon"
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: SupahJem
#30patkelly929Posted 9/23/2013 5:05:08 PM(edited)
XImperialDragon posted...
pikachupwnage posted...
patkelly929 posted...

Oh my glob your right!

Wait, that's seriously how that's going to work? That's pretty freaking awesome even if Mawile is awful lol

Yeah. Mawile has Intimidate when you send it out. Immediate Mega-Evolve. Gets the Defense boosts and Huge Power. Plus, if there's a generic evolution base stat boost like normal evolutions, Mega-Mawile becomes a beast. Not to mention Poison isn't super-effective, it doesn't touch it because of steel type. Fighting hits normal. Dark resisted despite Steel losing resistance. Immune to and super against Dragons. Only things it needs to watch out for are Ground and Fire. Depending on the speed drop from Mega Garchomp, Mega Mawile could go toe to toe with it. I think that last bit is wishful thinking.

Mega Mawile's going to be my Mega of choice.
---
"Gary was here. Ash is a loser!" = Greatest Tramp Stamp Ever
Green & Blue Bird, this is Mr. Fabulous, we are a go for cheesin' it. - Bender