This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New Pokebeach Rumors

#131pbandjamesPosted 9/23/2013 10:39:46 PM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
aDirtyShisno posted...
"they" has no official status as the neuter form of the singular pronoun.

Sure it does. Check a dictionary or wikipedia or something. Even most style guides acknowledge it as at least technically correct, if not preferred.

You are actually spreading misinformation. The word "they" only has official status in some manuals, so the correct form of the word depends on the manual of style one is using. The CMS, MLA, APA, three of the most widely used styles, denounce usage of singular "they." The manuals suggest structuring sentences differently or to use other outlined options to correct the problem. Dictionaries are not a qualitative source to look at for professional, grammatical writing.

I find it amusing that you suggest checking Wikipedia, as Wikipedia clearly cites that CMS does not approve of the singular pronoun "they." I found a 6th edition of the APA manual, and you can find the information I've stated on pages 79 - 80. I do not have an MLA manual on hand at this moment, but I know that it states the same or nearly the same as APA and CMS. If I'm wrong in my knowledge of the MLA, feel free to prove such.

Regardless of how people speak in everyday language, the singular "they" is still widely considered incorrect in official academia. There is no definite answer, as the answer depends on the manual of style used, and the formality of the writing. Obviously, because we are on a relaxed entertainment site on the internet, slang and other such academic no-nos do not matter. If, however, one is writing an academic paper, one must take caution to adhere to whichever manual one is using.

Certainly, it is arguable that singular "they" should be accepted as correct, and such arguing is happening currently for official manuals, but as of this moment it is not grammatically correct in major manuals.

People will just have to get over that their elementary school teacher taught them wrong about "they" being singular the same way that they have to get over those same teachers saying that "I before E except after C" crap that no sane person should ever utter.

You yourself need to "get over" the fact that those teachers are not really wrong. Until the language rules have officially been changed, those language rules still apply, and as such will be followed. It is not incorrect, then, for teachers to teach students the current correct way; this helps those students for future university professors of English and Humanities, many of whom mark in an APA, MLA, or CMS format.

The full phrase "I before E, except after C, or when ending in 'eigh,' such as neighbor or weigh," is not actually as ludicrous a phrase as you are seemingly making it sound. It is clearly a general rule. General rules allow people to learn other languages faster, which is certainly not a bad thing. General rules almost always have exceptions, but since most words follow the full "I before E" phrase, there is not a huge problem with the phrase. These rules, while of little concern perhaps to an older first-language English speaker, are useful for younger and ESL students. Similarly, the French language has the acronym "BAGS" to determine exceptions to the rule of French adjectives being placed after nouns. The acronym "BAGS" has its own set of small problems, but it is generally very helpful for students learning French. As a person understands a language, that person will learn exceptions and correct for them. People must learn to walk before trying to run.

OT: I like the outfit part, but everything else is negligible to me.
---
Formerly Professor Layton in Survivor: Smash Bros. A true gentlemen leaves no puzzle unsolved.
Game news is the best news.
#132RotomGuy3Posted 9/23/2013 10:48:43 PM
I'm looking forward to that Ghost Spider.

We needed a Ghost/Bug that isn't a gimmick.
#133gamermasterwizPosted 9/23/2013 10:53:04 PM
Wait a minute, Togepi loses its Normal typing over Fairy?
---
Gen IV FC: 2536-3829-5092
Gen V FC: 0819-4243-0361 PSN: blueink8
#134pbandjamesPosted 9/23/2013 10:56:16 PM
Sloth9230 posted...
jayman7 posted...

Actually, though it's become common, technically "they" is never correct when thou knows thou art speaking about a single person.

lol

That might seem witty, but because plural "you" has been officially accepted while singular "they" has not, it is actually just an invalid comparison.

Lexifox posted...
Hierarchy225 posted...
ectoBiologist posted...
these leaks get crazier and crazier XD!

btw im a girl :)

You know you're just giving girl gamers a bad name right?

I'll bite: how?

While I wouldn't say that that statement gives girl gamers a bad name, I would say that gender had no relevance to the statement, and thus an assertion of gender was unnecessary and, to some, annoying. The statement could imply that the gender should affect the statement, which is false for various reasons, such as craziness of an inanimate object or concept is not affected by gender.
---
Formerly Professor Layton in Survivor: Smash Bros. A true gentlemen leaves no puzzle unsolved.
Game news is the best news.
#135Twilight_SonataPosted 9/23/2013 10:59:52 PM(edited)
pbandjames posted...
You are actually spreading misinformation.

I am not. Your information is incomplete and devoid of critical thought. The general recommendation that some manuals have gone with is to not address it at all by suggesting that situations where such a pronouns would be needed be avoided, but that's not the same thing as denouncing their use, and their acceptance (sometimes begrudged, but still) of it isn't difficult to find if you dig a bit deeper, primarily exactly because of the issue of clumsiness discussed earlier. Besides, there are a lot of different style manuals, and a lot of them are wrong about a lot of things. Can you believe some of them actual argue against the serial comma? Pure madness if there ever was such a thing.

Regardless of how people speak in everyday language, the singular "they" is still widely considered incorrect in official academia.

B.S. Go read an academic journal some time. You'll see it everywhere. Academia has embraced it, in some cases quite defiantly.

university professors of English and Humanities, many of whom mark in an APA, MLA, or CMS format.

Nobody marks off for usage of singular "they". That is an outright lie. The only people who adhere to style manuals as ardently as you try to make it seem are the people that write them. Everybody else knows better.

The full phrase "I before E, except after C, or when ending in 'eigh,' such as neighbor or weigh," is not actually as ludicrous a phrase as you are seemingly making it sound. It is clearly a general rule.

It is clearly wrong is what it is and just leads to more confusion down the lines. Anybody in the teaching profession that tries to teach it should be fired for gross incompetence.
#136NeonDragon9000Posted 9/23/2013 10:58:29 PM
Incendius posted...
Bunnelby changing from one type to two completely different types? That's unprecedented. I expect it to evolve into a Ground type, but changing from Normal to Ground/Dark just seems unlikely. Has a Pokemon ever evolved and changed types so dramatically before (apart from Eevee which is obviously a special case)?

It's not that unprecented. Many Pokemon gain a second type upon evolution, other Pokemon have lost a type upon evolution (Gloom -> Bellossom) and Azurill is a Normal-type that evolves into a Water-type.

Maybe this exact circumstance hasn't happened, but it's not that unusual.
---
"Microsoft is not a helicopter." ~Gerald Ilukwe
#137zelserge37Posted 9/23/2013 11:02:25 PM
Still hope Froakie is the fastest of the trio of starters.
---
Viridi, Lloyd Irving, Isaac from Golden Sun, Travis Touchdown, Ghirahim, and Shulk for SSB4. Just one and I will be happy.
#138Ari917Posted 9/23/2013 11:10:12 PM(edited)
Tyranidomega posted...
Just realized that whatever is revealed on Wednesday might not invalidate this leak if it turns out a different Pokemon. Reason I'm saying this is because this is theoretically what someone is finding ingame right? And it doesn't correspond with reveals that GF decides to make.

While most of us hear are betting on a Helioptile or starter evo, if they reveal an evo for say, Swirlix, this leak would still be in the dark

Possibly, but presuming that it's not a cross-gen evolution or unrevealed Pokémon evolution (highly unlikely btw), it's between Helioptile, Bunnelby, Swirlix, Flabebe, Clauncher, Skrelp and Honedge. The exclusives are probably not going to get evolutions on their lonesome over their fellow partner so lets ignore them and Honedge's possibly a single evo line, so that leaves Flabebe, Bunnelby and Helioptile to evolve. So that's two out of three (maybe four) different Pokémon that could be revealed that either help or hurt this rumor, so there's a good chance we'll get confirmation this Wednesday.
---
Official Wyvern Lord of the Awakening Board
#139SPDShadowRangerPosted 9/23/2013 11:36:49 PM
So Fairy/Flying for Togekiss.....I like the sound of that.
#140LexifoxPosted 9/23/2013 11:40:09 PM
zelserge37 posted...
Still hope Froakie is the fastest of the trio of starters.

It probably will be, seeing as they're playing up its speed, Quick Attack, etc.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod