This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New Pokebeach Rumors

#141RaidenHeroPosted 9/23/2013 10:44:54 PM
Calling it now..the Ghost Spider Pokemon will be either Ghost/Bug or Ghost/Poison..i have a feeling it's going to be Ghost/Poison
#142pbandjamesPosted 9/24/2013 12:13:46 AM(edited)
Twilight_Sonata posted...

I am not.

most style guides acknowledge it as at least technically correct

Okay, whatever you say.

The general recommendation that some manuals have gone with is to not address it at all by suggesting that situations where such a pronouns would be needed be avoided, but that's not the same thing as denouncing their use

I just showed you three of the arguably most widely used manuals of style that clearly and explicitly say not to use the word "they" in a singular context, two of which I verified myself with a copy of the physical book and invited you to do the same. You can see the most recent CMS stance on Wikipedia, but I'll quote it for you regardless, to be sure you see it this time:

"A singular antecedent requires a singular referent pronoun. Because he is no longer accepted as a generic pronoun referring to a person of either sex, it has become common in speech and in informal writing to substitute the third-person plural pronouns they, them, their, and themselves, and the nonstandard singular themself. While this usage is accepted in casual contexts, it is still considered ungrammatical in formal writing. . . . Employing an artificial form such as s/he is distracting at best, and most readers find it ridiculous. There are several better ways to avoid the problem. For example, use the traditional, formal he or she, him or her, his or her, himself or herself."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they#cite_note-53

Here is the best clear online reference I could find for APA (the grammar part is on page 12):

http://www.eiu.edu/edadmin/9%2027%202010%20American%20Psychological%20Association%20Guide%20Revised.pdf

As we are discussing whether it is correct, not whether it should be correct, please do not argue for that.

and their acceptance (sometimes begrudged, but still) of it isn't difficult to find if you dig a bit deeper, primarily exactly because of the issue of clumsiness discussed earlier. Besides, there are a lot of different style manuals, and a lot of them are wrong about a lot of things. Can you believe some of them actual argue against the serial comma? Pure madness if there ever was such a thing.

The issue isn't of general acceptance; the issue we are arguing about is of official acceptance. Regardless of how one could argue the singular should be accepted, it still stands that it is largely not accepted in main official manuals, as shown by my examples of the three major manuals of style.

I happen to love using the serial comma, but let us not digress. Whether you believe authors to be right or wrong on those issues is not important to this argument. If you really believe that you are right, then contesting it would be the thing to do.
---
Formerly Professor Layton in Survivor: Smash Bros. A true gentlemen leaves no puzzle unsolved.
Game news is the best news.
#143pbandjamesPosted 9/24/2013 12:12:28 AM(edited)
Nobody marks off for usage of singular "they". That is an outright lie.

This is such an unsubstantiated and impossible to prove argumentum ad populum claim that I'm going to give you the good grace of ignoring it. I'll also ignore your incorrect fallacy of composition about it being a lie. You can accuse me of some argumentum ad populum, if you like, but I did not use an absolute version in my argument, and I gave examples of major manuals of style explicitly saying not to use the singular "they."

pbandjames posted...
Regardless of how people speak in everyday language, the singular "they" is still widely considered incorrect in official academia manuals of style.

B.S. Go read an academic journal some time. You'll see it everywhere. Academia has embraced it, in some cases quite defiantly.

Again, the argument is not about the debate on whether it should be officially used, but rather whether it is officially used. I put forth three major manuals of style that officially state not to use the singular "they" in academic writing. Whether scholars still choose to write with a singular "they" regardless to promote change is up to them. I indeed have read academic journals, and they do not all follow the way you are arguing for. Also, your instance of another general absolute of "everywhere" really should not be there.

The full phrase "I before E, except after C, or when ending in 'eigh,' such as neighbor or weigh," is not actually as ludicrous a phrase as you are seemingly making it sound. It is clearly a general rule.

It is clearly wrong is what it is and just leads to more confusion down the lines. Anybody in the teaching profession that tries to teach it should be fired for gross incompetence.

It is clearly wrong? I can't accept an argument on such a basis. There might be confusion later on, but that is a slippery slope. If you apply the rule to only the words that you teach go with it, then I see no problem with the rule. As long as the teacher makes it clear that there are exceptions, and makes sure the student looks up the word before assuming the rule for it, then it is my position that it is not bad to learn. The phrase is debatable, but irrelevant to the main argument, so I will pursue the topic no further.

I am going to go to bed. This has been an interesting foray into English grammar. I would welcome an official change if it happened. I like the idea of a new pronoun more than "they," honestly, though that is unlikely to happen at this point in time.
---
Formerly Professor Layton in Survivor: Smash Bros. A true gentlemen leaves no puzzle unsolved.
Game news is the best news.
#144Sloth9230Posted 9/23/2013 11:27:04 PM
pbandjames posted...
Sloth9230 posted...
jayman7 posted...

Actually, though it's become common, technically "they" is never correct when thou knows thou art speaking about a single person.

lol

That might seem witty, but because singular "you" has been officially accepted while singular "they" has not, it is actually just an invalid comparison.

You is plural, thou is singular. Singular you is what has been accepted, plural was never under contention. The point I was making is that languages change, especially when they sound stupid as ****.
#145EnzanChaudPosted 9/23/2013 11:32:09 PM
Hey guys, did you know Shakespeare made up half the words in his plays, and yet people regarded him as a genius? This is a message board. No one expects you to write in regards to any rules and and give citation in MLA format. We're speculating. If you say 'they', people will know what you mean regardless if it's right or not. It's a little thing called "casual speech" and it's used by people with a little tool called "common sense". Half the people who post here don't even know English. He'll half the people in the US can't even speak it properly, let alone write it. Now can we get back on track?
#146AlI_About_The_UPosted 9/23/2013 11:37:10 PM
I don't know how to English in the first place, and now I can English even less, thanking to GameFAQs.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Fd6pTd6.jpg
#147EnzanChaudPosted 9/23/2013 11:39:19 PM
abcDSBT posted...
biohazard151 posted...
what the hell is going on here, why are we not talking about a poison dart frog with a bubble scarf?

Because its the internet. People try to make themselves Serperior by pointing out others grammatical errors, making them come off as nitpicky jerks. Its all about some kind of sense of self-satisfaction.

Actually, studies show that this type of personality trait, a need to point out grammar errors in a context where it is completely benign, is an indicator someone has OCD. Usually, it's the person in a topic who cannot stop discussing it. They also can't realize people don't care about the same stuff they do, especially when they start derailing a topic. This example is a clear indication of someone with OCD appearing interesting to a genuinely thoughtful user and getting swept up in a bad personality trait.
#148Hierarchy225Posted 9/23/2013 11:43:31 PM
Lexifox posted...
Hierarchy225 posted...
ectoBiologist posted...
these leaks get crazier and crazier XD!

btw im a girl :)

You know you're just giving girl gamers a bad name right?

I'll bite: how?

A reason a lot of dudes dislike girl gamers is because a lot them see them as attention whores/fake nerds. I'm just saying that coming out of nowhere saying "btw I'm a girl" isn't helping to dissuade that stereotype.
---
Official Stealth Rock of the Pokemon X Board // i.imgur.com/eo0eyoc.jpg
3DS Friend Code 1993-7813-6870
#149Gleason037Posted 9/23/2013 11:48:06 PM
Hierarchy225 posted...
Lexifox posted...
Hierarchy225 posted...
ectoBiologist posted...

A reason a lot of dudes dislike girl gamers is because a lot them see them as attention whores/fake nerds. I'm just saying that coming out of nowhere saying "btw I'm a girl" isn't helping to dissuade that stereotype.

I can't speak for everyone, obviously, but I'd rather go "oh sweet, I have something in common with that girl" than "oh look at her, she's faking her enthusiasm for games".

Seriously though, when did 'nerd cred' become a thing? :(
---
PSN: Gleason037
3DS FC: Eh, tell me why you want it and sure.
#150Hierarchy225Posted 9/23/2013 11:51:42 PM
Gleason037 posted...
Hierarchy225 posted...
Lexifox posted...
Hierarchy225 posted...
ectoBiologist posted...

I can't speak for everyone, obviously, but I'd rather go "oh sweet, I have something in common with that girl" than "oh look at her, she's faking her enthusiasm for games".

Pretty much how I feel about this, but a lot of dudes feel a different way. I guess its cause a lot of them were used to getting made fun of by girls for their nerdy habits, and are distrusting of girl gamers.
---
Official Stealth Rock of the Pokemon X Board // i.imgur.com/eo0eyoc.jpg
3DS Friend Code 1993-7813-6870