This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else think The Origin only being a special is a huge waste?

#31NanaboboPosted 9/23/2013 9:20:56 PM
PkmTrainerAbram posted...
I want to know why something has to be aimed at adults to be good. Like seriously guys. If you've been around since the beginning, how the hell can you not have discovered something aimed at kids that actually has quality writing and animation?

There's more than damn anime out there.

Yeees? Things can be aimed at kids and still be awesome. Heck, I just finished watching tonight's episode of Adventure Time. When we're (well, I can't speak for everyone. When I) talking about a more "mature" Pokemon, we don't mean as in "YEAH THAT TIME AN ARBOK WAS CUT IN HALF WAS TOTALLY H4RDC0R3!!!"

The anime is not well-written or well-animated. It's a serial meant not to show off intent thoughts about Pokemon as a whole, but to advertise for the games and merchandise. Pokemon has the potential to be well-written and thought-out, but it isn't. An anime with clear character arcs would work really well. 15 years of the same ten-year-old adventuring with little to no character development works for its target audience, but not for a more adult audience. That's what we (again, I) ask for.
---
ACNL Dream Address 4100-2150-3577
#32LexifoxPosted 9/23/2013 9:26:30 PM
13121987 posted...
RedShadowww posted...
el_tercer_poder posted...
I really hope it's like an experiment to see if such a concept gets popular; and if it does, to turn it into a full-fledged series.

Maybe even have an anime adaption of the manga.... I can dream ;(

The manga isn't even as good as people say it to be. The first 4 volumes with Red was epic. Then when yellow came it felt like they were forcefully adding stuff to tie to the games. But we still get the fight the evil e4 so its still ok.

Then came Gold with his snooker stick, it was like Wtf? But blue/green and silver story with the ice guy made it interesting still.

Then when rse came about... Ruby was just gay I tell ya, and Sapphire was some jungle woman. I literally snooze when Kyogre and Groundon came out and stopped buying the manga.

You missed the Battle Frontier, where zombie Archie showed up in a magical suit of armor that granted him immortality. You know, just like in the games!
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#33PkmTrainerAbramPosted 9/23/2013 9:37:28 PM
Nanabobo posted........

And I'm telling you that those things are not exclusive to adult media.

Ever heard of Ducktales? Pirates of Dark Water? Talespin? Alfred Quack? Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends? Swat Kats? Batman TAS?

All those things had overlapping stories and development and yet they were still aimed at kids.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Black 2 Perfect Run(JPN) 640/649 owned, Rayman Orgins(Wii)
#34JKPhagePosted 9/23/2013 10:12:49 PM
RedShadowww posted...
Maybe even have an anime adaption of the manga.... I can dream ;(

This. I would love to see the Pokémon Adventures manga get adapted into an anime simply because it's such a different spin on the world, plus it actually features the protagonists from each game (as well as the rivals sometimes) as main characters for their respective arcs, and even includes some wonderful cross-generation interactions. Plus if it was done in a non-drawn-out manner they could make each arc/season around 24 episodes and still get the whole story in, meaning we could have WAY better animation than the main series. There's also potential for movie/OVA versions of the special chapters (Yellow/Emerald/Platinum/Etc.) instead of trying to cram them into the same arc. I'd love to see Red/Green chapter adapted and then a movie adaptation of Yellow Chapter to follow it.

Either way, I'm kind of disappointed that Origin will only be a 4 episode run, I'd much have preferred to see at least a 12 episode set so they could do the whole story without having to gloss over things, but as long as it's well done I don't think I'll be complaining much. And if it DOES end up getting an expanded series due to popularity, then I won't complain, as long as it doesn't exceed 12-24 eps.
#35NanaboboPosted 9/24/2013 7:43:14 AM

Ever heard of Ducktales? Pirates of Dark Water? Talespin? Alfred Quack? Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends? Swat Kats? Batman TAS?

All those things had overlapping stories and development and yet they were still aimed at kids.

I think you gave some... pretty lame examples there, but the point remains: I am not saying that you are wrong.

I am saying the Pokemon anime does not have any character development, overarching plot, or anything more than repetitive formula made to entertain kids and nothing else.
There are kids shows that do it right. Adventure Time is a perfect example of a show for kids that manages to have the depth of (what I mean when I say) an adult show.

I'm not saying I want a Pokemon series where even battles with happy endings cause death and confusion like FMA. Heck, I'm not even saying I want a series with a definable beginning, middle, and end structure like Avatar: The Last Airbender! I just want a series where Ash matures as a character and doesn't continually forget over the course of a decade that Ground-types are resistant to Thunderbolt!

tldr: Not "all actions have a negative impact on the world boo hoo". Just "my actions have an impact on the world and I will be remembered."
---
ACNL Dream Address 4100-2150-3577
#36koopabros64Posted 9/24/2013 7:46:46 AM
It does seem like a waste. I didn't want a huge series like the anime we have now, but a mini series of about 12 episodes would have been cool, and would have given them enough time to cover all the events of the game in detail. If the first season was good they could have made a second season based off of G/S/C.
---
The Platypus, the reason games like spore exist.
#37hellzyaaahhhhhhPosted 9/24/2013 7:51:21 AM
ChrnoDstroyer12 posted...
It could have been the Pokemon anime for older audiences, the ones who grew up with the series from Red and Blue and still love it.

Nevertheless, it still looks like it's going to be amazing, even for a hour and a half long .... movie basically.

lol the original comic could been the anime for older audiences
pokemon dieing left in right

female trainers using surprise attacks from thair shirts o.O
http://serebii.net/manga/characters-new/blue.shtml
---
owns all game systems... equal feelings about all of them...
its the games i tend to take favor to o.O
#38Wings of FortePosted 9/24/2013 8:17:05 AM
I want to know why something has to be aimed at adults to be good. Like seriously guys. If you've been around since the beginning, how the hell can you not have discovered something aimed at kids that actually has quality writing and animation?

There a plenty of kid's shows that have quality writing and animation...it just isn't the current Pokemon series.

A good Pokemon series would follow an actual winner who makes it to E4 and becomes a champion then follow a new protagonist in another region next season. Instead we get a loser who is forever stuck at the age of 10 and his cancer causing vermin sidekick.
---
A.K.A Red Dingo
#39PkmTrainerAbramPosted 9/24/2013 10:13:29 AM
Nanabobo posted...

I think you gave some... pretty lame examples there, but the point remains: I am not saying that you are wrong.

I am saying the Pokemon anime does not have any character development, overarching plot, or anything more than repetitive formula made to entertain kids and nothing else.
There are kids shows that do it right. Adventure Time is a perfect example of a show for kids that manages to have the depth of (what I mean when I say) an adult show.

I'm not saying I want a Pokemon series where even battles with happy endings cause death and confusion like FMA. Heck, I'm not even saying I want a series with a definable beginning, middle, and end structure like Avatar: The Last Airbender! I just want a series where Ash matures as a character and doesn't continually forget over the course of a decade that Ground-types are resistant to Thunderbolt!

tldr: Not "all actions have a negative impact on the world boo hoo". Just "my actions have an impact on the world and I will be remembered."

Ok, we both are really on the same page here. I'm just saying that things that should be common sense to have, like development and consistent world building are not exclusive to shows aimed at a higher age group. I wasn't talking at all about violence and gore when I commented on people wanting version that adults would like that grew up with it. I'm just saying that those things shouldn't even be an issue with a show like Pokemon in the first place, being an ad for the games be damned.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Black 2 Perfect Run(JPN) 640/649 owned, Rayman Orgins(Wii)
#40PkmTrainerAbramPosted 9/24/2013 10:26:21 AM
Wings of Forte posted...

There a plenty of kid's shows that have quality writing and animation...it just isn't the current Pokemon series.

A good Pokemon series would follow an actual winner who makes it to E4 and becomes a champion then follow a new protagonist in another region next season. Instead we get a loser who is forever stuck at the age of 10 and his cancer causing vermin sidekick.

I'm not disagreeing with that first sentence because that's what I've been saying all along.

A good series would be good regardless of weather Ash won or not, or even if he's the main character stuck at the age of 10. They don't even need to introduce a new hero, they could perfectly well use the rotating side cast and write entire arcs around them each saga and that would be perfectly fine. If the staff is so dead set on not having Ash win a league, they need to stop focusing so much on that aspect and do other things.

Focus on eps training newly caught Pokemon against rivals like in the games. Exploring the wilderness and avoiding death from the elements and wild Pokemon. Have the group encounter more thieves and neer do wells on thier travels like they used to. Have episodes devoted to the lore of the Pokemon world and the places there. Show terrirtorial battles were things don't always end on a happy note. Have the female group member get lost shopping and town and have her find a rival that pisses her off because she brought the last cupcake. Focus on other characters in the games, Ash and his group don't have to be in every episode even.

There's so much they could be doing if they wanted to "filler up" the show and yet they often choose the most boring senarios when there is so much to work with. And the really bad thing is they have shown they can do it great, and won't most times. If anything DP and BW used the world setting. I enjoyed episodes like when Bianca first met Ash and when they went to catch a Chiramy. I DON'T like episodes where they conveniently enter a town and enter a competition based on a Pokemon of the day. There's no love there at all.
---