This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, without hacking, how will we discover things like EVs, Egg moves, etc.?

#1ClassyOldHatPosted 9/24/2013 6:10:46 AM
The official guides have, apparently, slowly gotten a little better about revealing these things, and if BW2 is any indication, obscure evolution methods might be explained by the professor. However, I doubt a lot of important information will be revealed this way.

I just want to know, since they can't rely on hacking for the time being, how do Serebii, and owners of similar sites, plan to get things like:
Base Stats
egg moves
in-depth ability/item effects (For example, Sheer Force does not say, in game, that it boosts the power of moves by 33%, nor does the Choice Band explicitly say it boosts attack by 50%)
Any potential changes to the IV/EV system
What EVs are given by new Pokemon
What current Pokemon have had the EVs they give changed
Changes to the breeding system (I don't think any of us would have figured out the Everstone trick in Emerald without hacking, seeing how no NPC EVER mentioned it)

And so on
#2CakeOfLiesPosted 9/24/2013 6:12:34 AM
There are many wise people in basements far away... They will give us the answers we seek.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 0992-4144-3423 - THIEF
#3LenneValkiryePosted 9/24/2013 6:14:01 AM
1. The 3DS has already been hacked, however the hack hasn't been distributed yet.
2. .DAT mining.
#4MM125Posted 9/24/2013 6:15:15 AM
Base Stats

Math.

egg moves

Strategy guide has these.

in-depth ability/item effects (For example, Sheer Force does not say, in game, that it boosts the power of moves by 33%, nor does the Choice Band explicitly say it boosts attack by 50%)
Any potential changes to the IV/EV system
What EVs are given by new Pokemon
What current Pokemon have had the EVs they give changed

Also math.

Changes to the breeding system (I don't think any of us would have figured out the Everstone trick in Emerald without hacking, seeing how no NPC EVER mentioned it)

Hopefully strategy guide. If not, won't matter much. All the old tricks will presumably still work.
---
Oooh, MM, he be tryin' you, dawg. He be tryin' you. Best mind you biiiiiiiz-ness. ~KMA
*triple z snap* ~AluminumTicket
#5Arne83Posted 9/24/2013 6:19:02 AM
Data mining.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
Snowflame is greatest comic villain ever made. Shame on DC for letting him fade into obscurity.
#6GoGoatPosted 9/24/2013 6:22:45 AM
Arne83 posted...
Data mining.

^ This. Hackers may not have blown open the 3ds to the point where piracy is commonplace just yet, but the easier things like this are no problem. Its also the reason why things like Pokégen will be updated pretty fast.
---
Official Oblivion Keyblade of the KH3 Board
3ds FC: 1934-0765-5595
#7ClassyOldHat(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 6:25:15 AM
MM125 posted...
Math.

That may depend on a lot remaining static, however. For example, if the damage formula were to change, determining the power items/abilities boost something by would become incredibly difficult, or produce a lot of inaccurate results. They've changed the EXP formula in V, so it's not a completely unreasonable suggestion.
#8ClassyOldHat(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 6:26:27 AM
GoGoat posted...
Arne83 posted...
Data mining.

^ This. Hackers may not have blown open the 3ds to the point where piracy is commonplace just yet, but the easier things like this are no problem. Its also the reason why things like Pokégen will be updated pretty fast.

I thought we weren't at that point yet, though? Isn't the encryption presenting issues?
#9ryudin89Posted 9/24/2013 6:31:54 AM
ClassyOldHat posted...
GoGoat posted...
Arne83 posted...
Data mining.

I thought we weren't at that point yet, though? Isn't the encryption presenting issues?

Since there's already a flashcart on the market I would assume it's not.
---
GameFAQS=why games should be played and people should be avoided.-selfdeztruction
3DS Friend Code:3780-9074-3418
#10MoonLightCloudPosted 9/24/2013 6:39:29 AM
ClassyOldHat posted...
MM125 posted...
Math.

That may depend on a lot remaining static, however. For example, if the damage formula were to change, determining the power items/abilities boost something by would become incredibly difficult, or produce a lot of inaccurate results. They've changed the EXP formula in V, so it's not a completely unreasonable suggestion.

Even if that's true, can't you just make observations? Fight online with a friend who has a Pokemon with whatever HP/Def/Sp.Def (just so you have a constant), then hit them with an attack, then test it out with the item/ability and see how much damage is increased (obviously you'd do multiple attacks each time).

I'm sure people with actual knowledge on this stuff can come up with better experiments and calculate things themselves.
---
One of my best friends has a viral video, check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrasQOojFyo