This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ENGLISH Pokemon Origins trailer

#31SlimeStackPosted 9/26/2013 10:04:57 AM
Milso posted...
I don't think I could stand to watch the subs for this, because I just know most subbing groups will keep his name as Green, despite using the English names for every gym leader and other character that appears.

Actually the subbing groups that work on Pokémon currently are more likely to give you awkward subs like Professor Okido, Fushigidane, Green, Pokémon Zukan and Rocket Gang. They won't even make the effort to refine it as far as Prof. Orchid/Pokémon Encyclopedia/Team Rocket, let alone using localised names.
---
Blah.
#32MilsoPosted 9/26/2013 10:37:05 AM
SlimeStack posted...
Milso posted...
I don't think I could stand to watch the subs for this, because I just know most subbing groups will keep his name as Green, despite using the English names for every gym leader and other character that appears.

Actually the subbing groups that work on Pokémon currently are more likely to give you awkward subs like Professor Okido, Fushigidane, Green, Pokémon Zukan and Rocket Gang. They won't even make the effort to refine it as far as Prof. Orchid/Pokémon Encyclopedia/Team Rocket, let alone using localised names.

That's pretty obnoxious, but at least there's consistency.

I had to stop reading the Pokemon manga because of the absurdly low quality of the translations. Putting up with the censored parts of the official Viz releases eventually turned out to be the better option and that's something I'd usually never put up with.
---
rawr
#33LOGlCPosted 9/26/2013 10:43:06 AM
Gonna be the best 4 episodes of my life! :D
---
Now playing: Borderlands, Radiant Historia
Next in queue: Infinite Space, Dragon Quest V, Chrono Trigger, Solatorobo
#34swordsman126Posted 9/26/2013 4:33:46 PM
Umuru posted...
SlimeStack posted...
bakkahentai8600 posted...
It always bugged me that Blue's name is Green in Japan. I mean, I get why that is, but it's implied (and outright shown here), that Red picks Charmander. Because of that Green/Blue is supposed to choose Squirtle. Blue makes more sense because of this.

Isn't this pretty much the only place that even happens?

In the anime they were called Ash and Gary, in the Adventures manga Red chose Bulbasaur and Green chose Charmander, in the games Green has no canon starter and Red either doesn't have one or he has all 3.

This is the first time Red is associated with Charmander. Early promotional art had Red with Bulbasaur, Green with Charmander and the planned girl who would eventually be Blue in Pokespe and Leaf in the remakes with Squirtle. Also, the rest of what you said.

Are you sure it's the first time? I swear I remember reading a Pokemon book as a kid that was basically the plot of Red/Blue as a story. And he chose Charmander in that. I think. Maybe. Man that's been a looong time, I'm gonna have to try and dig that up.
---
Currently playing SMT4, MH3U, FE:A and eagerly awaiting Pokemon X
Remember kids, there's no kill like overkill.
#35smashman92Posted 9/26/2013 5:11:31 PM
The thing that makes Red = Charmander is that Red Version had a Charizard on the cover. If the main character's name was meant to be Red and the theme Pokemon was Charizard, then Red chose Charmander.

That's how I always saw it
---
Charizard for SSBU
#36tsunamisurfer08Posted 9/26/2013 6:02:28 PM
EtoRanger posted...
PrinceVege101 posted...
Narrator sounds a helluva lot like Jade from ToA to me.

It's been a while since I played that game but I don't really hear it.

I hear it to a point. Didn't notice the first time I saw it.
---
Everything I have ever learned about life can be summed up in three words: It goes on.
-Robert Frost
#37SalsaSavant(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 6:05:53 PM
SlimeStack posted...
Milso posted...

That's pretty annoying. Glad I don't watch, and if I did everything gets localized anyway.
---
On 12/02/12 I said I wouldn't change this until something impossible happened. Now, Earthbound just got re-released in the US.
#38kratos_jadelovePosted 9/27/2013 3:29:51 PM
PrinceVege101 posted...
Narrator sounds a helluva lot like Jade from ToA to me.

Whoa....Damn. He does.
---
Currently Playing:Pokemon Reborn, Tales of Xillia. Fav Games: Tales of Symphonia/Abyss, Galaga, Assassin's Creed, Metroid Prime
FFXIII can go die in a hole.
#39Defender31415Posted 9/28/2013 8:11:08 AM
swordsman126 posted...
Umuru posted...
SlimeStack posted...
bakkahentai8600 posted...
It always bugged me that Blue's name is Green in Japan. I mean, I get why that is, but it's implied (and outright shown here), that Red picks Charmander. Because of that Green/Blue is supposed to choose Squirtle. Blue makes more sense because of this.

Isn't this pretty much the only place that even happens?

In the anime they were called Ash and Gary, in the Adventures manga Red chose Bulbasaur and Green chose Charmander, in the games Green has no canon starter and Red either doesn't have one or he has all 3.

This is the first time Red is associated with Charmander. Early promotional art had Red with Bulbasaur, Green with Charmander and the planned girl who would eventually be Blue in Pokespe and Leaf in the remakes with Squirtle. Also, the rest of what you said.

Are you sure it's the first time? I swear I remember reading a Pokemon book as a kid that was basically the plot of Red/Blue as a story. And he chose Charmander in that. I think. Maybe. Man that's been a looong time, I'm gonna have to try and dig that up.

Did that book happen to be called "Pokemon- Pathways to Adventure" by a guy named Jason R. Rich? If so, I had that book too. And it was apparently based off an actual playthrough, with screenshots!
---
--- LG Nuzlocke Team: Percy (Blastoise), Sora (Pidgeot), Xena (Primeape), La-Z-Boy (Snorlax), Caitlin (Kadabra), Astrapos (Raichu)