This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is their a general concensus that Pokemon design has been in decline since G2?

#1Phenom13Posted 9/26/2013 10:58:56 AM
Is it just me or has the quality of Pokemon design been trending down since the first two generations?

It just seems to me than an ice cream cone or a pokemon with 28 equal bad derivative shapes would have never made the cut back in the day.
#2kingjam1Posted 9/26/2013 10:59:55 AM
inb4 people list Dugtrio, Magneton, Grimer, Muk, Ditto and others as poor Pokemon designs.
---
Can't think of anything
#3ScaredofzombiesPosted 9/26/2013 11:00:15 AM
Every generation of pokemon has great and poor designs.

And Gen 6, in my opinion, is looking to be one of the best in terms of pokemon design.
---
PSN: Nics hizzle (no space)
#4kingtracePosted 9/26/2013 11:00:37 AM
No, there's no consensus.

And back in the day, you had eggs with faces, a ball with a face, a pile of slime, a purple rat...

There are good and bad designs in every generation, picking the few bad designs of gen 5 and saying "Charizard is much cooler than these" is inherently stupid.
---
I'm an Atheist, and I'm damn proud of it.
If that offends you for whatever reason, shoot me a PM and I'll correct your misconception.
#5PlatinitePosted 9/26/2013 11:01:15 AM
it's only a concensus among Genwunners, and you shouldn't listen to their opinions because they're jaded souls who see the world in Gameboy colours and are incapable of liking new things.
#6Tigo73Posted 9/26/2013 11:01:21 AM
I donīt think there is a consensus. Pokemon design is very subjective. You think that after Gen II it started getting worse, and thatīs fine. I, on the other hand, think Gen III is the peak of Pokemon design, and thatīs fine. Joe Schmoe thinks eveyrthing sucked till gen V, and thatīs fine.
---
The man who will steal your candles.
Official Omoikane of the SMT IV board.
#7ChibiDeidaraPosted 9/26/2013 11:02:18 AM
Why do people keep saying this ? ..There have been great Designs ever since Gen II plus the more variety the better.
---
Maybe you should worry less about the tides, who've already made up their mind about killing you, and worry more about me, who's still mulling it over -Azula-
#8MienchisePosted 9/26/2013 11:04:22 AM
Not sure about quality but the style of gen 1-2 compared to gen 3-5 are noticeably different. Probably had different artists.
---
Pokemon White: 3612-0902-4137 (David).
3DS FC: 1306-5494-8828 (Doomsday).
#9patkelly929Posted 9/26/2013 11:05:38 AM
kingtrace posted...
No, there's no consensus.

And back in the day, you had eggs with faces, a ball with a face, a pile of slime, a purple rat...

There are good and bad designs in every generation, picking the few bad designs of gen 5 and saying "Charizard is much cooler than these" is inherently stupid.

This, especially since Charizard is an incredibly dull design.
---
"Gary was here. Ash is a loser!" = Greatest Tramp Stamp Ever
Green & Blue Bird, this is Mr. Fabulous, we are a go for cheesin' it. - Bender
#10NessEggmanPosted 9/26/2013 11:05:54 AM
Definitely no consensus.

There is a loud minority who claims they keep getting worse, but this is definitely a minority and agreeing with any opinions that suggest you like the original designs over the others is stigmatized in the community now, because of how obnoxious these "genwunners" can be.

Also, whenever a new game comes out (in any series, not just this one), there is a wave of nostalgic critics who will bash it because it's not the old games, so it may seem like this. But you will find this for every series. If you considered this a consensus, it would seem that EVERY game gets worse with EVERY sequel (in every aspect -- story, design, whatever)... but yet the industry trend is to make many sequels, because they sell the best. So the games must not be actually getting worse, or the vast majority of consumers are stupid enough to constantly buy games they hate. I think the reality is most likely the former...
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
3DS FC: 2750 1911 5515