This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gym leader type specialization

#1Sky_High_DxPosted 9/26/2013 5:53:42 PM
What if gym leaders specialized in dual types? For example, a gym leader focused on bug and steel types, so he would use either mono bug, mono steel, or dual bug/steel type. Maybe even permitting Pokemon that have a different secondary type (ex. Flying) as long as the primary type is bug or steel.

Here's an example list of gym leader types. I came up with it on the premise that each combo had at least 2 Pokemon with that combination that aren't legendary.

Normal/fairy(though this is an assumption)
Grass/poison
Rock/ground
Water/ice
Fire/fighting (lol)
Psychic/steel
Ghost/dark
Dragon/flying(Gen I Lance got the concept already)

I think it can add variety while sticking to traditional type specialization, though I do also think it can be a bit too complicated. What do you think?
---
Sky High Dx
#2ZTIger5Posted 9/26/2013 5:55:16 PM
Might be interesting, but then they'd be so specialized their teams would be much too predictable and easy to beat.
---
Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening, Pokemon White 2, Bioshock Infinite
I believe in everlasting life in Heaven.
#3kclaujamesPosted 9/26/2013 6:00:57 PM
What if gym leaders are not based on any types, but instead they are based on Pokemon found in a specific region?
#4Sky_High_Dx(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 6:02:03 PM
ZTIger5 posted...
Might be interesting, but then they'd be so specialized their teams would be much too predictable and easy to beat.

Not necessarily. For example, let's take the Water/Ice example.

At least 2 pokemon with both-Lapras, Sealeo

Mono ice-Snorunt

Mono water-Wartortle

Now let's throw in Starmie for fighting types and Snorunt for grass types.

Of course it's not perfect coverage, but that's how the gyms work.
---
Sky High Dx
#5ZTIger5Posted 9/26/2013 6:05:50 PM
Sky_High_Dx posted...
ZTIger5 posted...

Mono ice-Snorunt

Mono water-Wartortle

What. Starmie is Psychic =P

But okay, I get what you mean. Maybe I'm just stuck in tradition, but I still don't really like that. As if it's just the opposite and they're not specialized enough. Was there ever really a problem with how they are now?
---
Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening, Pokemon White 2, Bioshock Infinite
I believe in everlasting life in Heaven.
#6SpoonMan54321Posted 9/26/2013 6:10:53 PM
i'd like for gym leaders to be based on something other than types... like one is a dog trainer and the whole gym has things like growlithe/arcanine, houndour/houndoom, etc. dogs may be a bad and limited example but you get the idea. maybe make the gym cats and dogs to have more variation. there's a million other themes you can use in this way.
---
...and bababooey to y'all
#7Xenesis XenonPosted 9/26/2013 6:11:57 PM
SpoonMan54321 posted...
i'd like for gym leaders to be based on something other than types... like one is a dog trainer and the whole gym has things like growlithe/arcanine, houndour/houndoom, etc. dogs may be a bad and limited example but you get the idea. maybe make the gym cats and dogs to have more variation. there's a million other themes you can use in this way.

Yeah, that'd be much more exciting.

Or even tactics themed Gyms - Speed, Stalling, Weather, something.

Pure elemental types is okay, but it'd be nice if they broke the mould occasionally.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#8NessEggmanPosted 9/26/2013 6:16:32 PM(edited)
I'd be happier if they had themes other than types.

For example, a gym leader who likes fast Pokemon and uses high-speed Pokemon and uses hold items like choice scarf. A gym leader who likes status conditions and has Pokemon that can burn, freeze, poison, paralyze, sleep, confuse, attract, etc. A gym leader who likes defensive Pokemon and has bulky Pokemon that use defensive buffs. A gym leader who believes in pure power and uses glass cannon Pokemon. Stuff like that.

Way more interesting than "OK, this gym is _____ type. Completely obliterate it with ______ type." How about gym themes that reuqire you to put more thought into your team and strategy besides just "make sure you have a lot of different attack types... but only 3 or 4 different ones are really even needed to take out most of the gyms."

EDIT: Oh, haha, people suggested this as I was typing it XZD
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
3DS FC: 2750 1911 5515
#9Sky_High_Dx(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 6:16:40 PM
ZTIger5 posted...
Sky_High_Dx posted...
ZTIger5 posted...

Mono ice-Snorunt

Mono water-Wartortle

What. Starmie is Psychic =P

But okay, I get what you mean. Maybe I'm just stuck in tradition, but I still don't really like that. As if it's just the opposite and they're not specialized enough. Was there ever really a problem with how they are now?

It's a water type, so it's still in. Just like Snorunt being a grass/ ice. I just want there to be more variety. The gym formula is a bit stale for my taste. GF is shaking up everything else, so why not?
---
Sky High Dx
#10RDS1Posted 9/26/2013 6:18:03 PM
SpoonMan54321 posted...

If they made a Gym Leader who specializes in inanimate object Pokemon, watch that person become the most hated character in the franchise instantly. >_>
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)