This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Reminder: the only people who want IVs to remain are ignorant.

#1JagusPosted 9/26/2013 6:44:55 PM(edited)
The only reason some people want IVs to remain is because of nostalgia, perception of "depth," and unwarranted fear of ruining a series tradition. IVs are literally the worst mechanic in Pokemon aside from luck-based events like evasion, criticals, etc.

Why? They're redundant.

Objection: IVs create diversity!
Answer: EVs already do that too.

Objection: IVs give breeders something to do!
Answer: Breeders can still breed for moves and abilities and natures. It's true that IVs give breeders one more thing to do, but complexity for complexity's sake is bad. You should ask GameFreak for additional breeding mechanics if it means that much to you, instead of useless, redundant ones.

Objection: IVs are tied to Hidden Power!
Answer: Change what Hidden Power is tied to. Make it so you go to an old lady and she switches the type for you.

Objection: IVs make Pokemon unique!
Answer: Once again, Pokemon are already unique because of their EV spreads. They are also unique because of their abilities, natures, moves, and held items. And uniqueness for uniqueness sake isn't good. A twisted fork is unique. It fails at its function.

Objection: IVs are rewards for hard work!
Answer: IVs are luck-based, everyone should be able to put in the same effort for the same results. EVs already fill this purpose.

Objection: IVs are realistic! In nature, not everyone is born equal!
Answer: Death is realistic too, and I'm sure nobody wants a death mechanic in Pokemon.

Seriously, IVs are the worst aspect of Pokemon, and I was utterly shocked to see people who wanted to keep them in. I can only assume that these are people who aren't very experienced with the mechanics of Pokemon and think complexity is inherently good.
---
No, marriage is about love. It fails because people think love can be reduced to a feeling. - On the Edge
#2AlI_About_The_UPosted 9/26/2013 6:29:57 PM
I enjoyed this topic the first time.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Fd6pTd6.jpg
#3Jagus(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 6:30:38 PM
AlI_About_The_U posted...
I enjoyed this topic the first time.

As people still don't seem to get the point, I think it's going to have be reposted every few weeks.

Or at least until XY releases.
---
No, marriage is about love. It fails because people think love can be reduced to a feeling. - On the Edge
#4ChibiDeidaraPosted 9/26/2013 6:32:09 PM
What is Iv ... i feel like a noob for asking but i just don't know
---
Maybe you should worry less about the tides, who've already made up their mind about killing you, and worry more about me, who's still mulling it over -Azula-
#5AlI_About_The_UPosted 9/26/2013 6:32:10 PM
As people still don't seem to get the point, I think it's going to have be reposted every few weeks.

Or at least until XY releases.

Understood. This is a good idea.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Fd6pTd6.jpg
#6sahilmohammadPosted 9/26/2013 6:33:22 PM
I agree screw IVs they should be removed
---
Generation 31: The first time you see this, copy it into your own signature (on any forum) and add one to the generation number. Social experiment.
#7Jagus(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 6:33:46 PM
ChibiDeidara posted...
What is Iv ... i feel like a noob for asking but i just don't know

IVs are hidden stats within a stat for all Pokemon. They range from 0-31 points. They are randomly generated, and cannot be increased. In other words, some Pokemon are born naturally crappier than others, and there's nothing you can do about it.
---
#8Bogmire216Posted 9/26/2013 6:33:49 PM
I wouldn't mind if they just lowered the values to 0-15 like it was in gen 2. 0 vs 31 in any given stat is kind of a gamebreaking difference, competitively. 0 vs 15 not so much. Though I'd prefer if they just got rid of them altogether.
---
Friend code: 0903-3254-6934
#9JarickoPosted 9/26/2013 6:35:52 PM
I would be fine with IV's and EV's remaining, if they made it fun to obtain them. The current system is not user friendly and its boring and dumb. Why should i have to do it to get to the fun part?
---
Jaricko - Official Venustoise of the omniverse / bacon in the fridge for all those who cry out in hunger of the Gamefaq's 3ds boards.
#10XxVERSUSxXPosted 9/26/2013 6:36:18 PM
I won't comment on the ignorance of others, however I do agree with your points.