This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people act like iv's are such a important feature

#1gamepimp12Posted 9/26/2013 9:35:14 PM
Only thing iv's really matter at is speed

Everyything else the difference isn't that huge

Yes this is a repost.
---
we rich now but used to be slaves,we pushing whips now we used to be whipped,rockin chains when we used to be in 'em
#2Mewtwo_soulPosted 9/26/2013 9:37:46 PM
That's wrong.

For instance, In a Tanking battle (Let's say Metagross vs. Metagross) Let's assume both have a different IV spread. One has 31 in SPDF/31 DF and the other one 31 HP/31 SPD (Speed I call SPDF SPecial Defense)

Let's also assume thanks to this bulk increase in this mirror match, it takes Metagross 1, 2 hits to kill the opposing Metagross, while the other requires three hits.

In this case, the Speed difference means very little.

Sure in a Sweeper (Glass Cannon/etc.) sure, ATK/SPATK and Speed are all that matter. However, this is not the case for a decent amount of Pokemon in the first place.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#3InkayPosted 9/26/2013 10:11:05 PM
Sure in a Sweeper (Glass Cannon/etc.) sure, ATK/SPATK and Speed are all that matter. However, this is not the case for a decent amount of Pokemon in the first place.

Speed means everything because 1 stat = 1 point, every time, no exceptions. IVs matter less for attacks and defenses because there are damage ranges, so nothing is absolute or set in stone. Speed is not random.
---
OvO
http://i.imgur.com/Veo9MJw.png
#4Mewtwo_soulPosted 9/26/2013 10:14:10 PM(edited)
Inkay posted...

Speed means everything because 1 stat = 1 point, every time, no exceptions. IVs matter less for attacks and defenses because there are damage ranges, so nothing is absolute or set in stone. Speed is not random.

Except in the cast of Defensive Pokemon.

Did you not read my whole post?

In a defensive Wall mirror match, you want Defense/SPDF over Speed. Because the difference can be 1HKO, 2HKO, and a possible 3HKO.

In most othe situations yes the speed is the more important factor but not in ALL cases. Which was the point.

Edit: Even with a RANGE, it makes that range more apt to the more favorable position.

It's kind of like playing RE4: Professional mode.

That Granado may take 1 Bullet to the head + 1 Roundhouse + 2-3 Knifes on Normal. On Professional instead of being just 1 bullet + 1 Roundhouse + 2-3 nifes, the end result will generally be 1+ 1 + 3-4.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#5ZeroxKnuxPosted 9/26/2013 10:13:53 PM
gamepimp12 posted...
Only thing iv's really matter at is speed

Everyything else the difference isn't that huge

Yes this is a repost.

So then what your saying is IVs are important?
#6InkayPosted 9/26/2013 10:18:30 PM
In a defensive Wall mirror match, you want Defense/SPDF over Speed. Because the difference can be 1HKO, 2HKO, and a possible 3HKO.

In most othe situations yes the speed is the more important factor but not in ALL cases. Which was the point.

I think you are missing the point because your statements here support what I just said. Everything is "possible" or "more favorable" with higher attack or defense IVs. But those are all uncertainties. Speed is a guarantee. That does make it more important because literally 1 IV makes a difference. Damages ranges will overlap even if the IVs are a few apart.
---
OvO
http://i.imgur.com/Veo9MJw.png
#7Mewtwo_soulPosted 9/26/2013 10:24:24 PM
Inkay posted...

I think you are missing the point because your statements here support what I just said. Everything is "possible" or "more favorable" with higher attack or defense IVs. But those are all uncertainties. Speed is a guarantee. That does make it more important because literally 1 IV makes a difference. Damages ranges will overlap even if the IVs are a few apart.

More or less my point is assuming two people are using Metagross by example: In a mirror match

One guy goes 31 ATK/31 SPDF (or splits it into SPDF and DF) vs. a guy going 31 Speed, and the rest a mixture.

Let's assume for all intents in purposes (the exact stats aren't right I'm using a hypothetical situation) they both use a Ground move, but in the more likely hood (assuming all other factors are right such as Nature/etc.) The first one may end up with a more durable stance in said match. It isn't guaranteed, and I agree Speed is important, however not in every match up.

If that were the case people wouldn't put tidbits of DF/SPDF IVs on many walls/tanks to make sure that 1HKO guarantee matchup is more lopsided. (in a lot of general cases) Or put investments into Attack to make sure that the 1-3 HKO ends up more likely to be 1HKO over 2HKO and or 3HKO. (Because 1HKO assuming you're faster, would still provide advantage over the opposition.) as you gained 1 KO without any "splash damage." [Not taking into accoutn Life Orb and the like)
---
#8wind64aPosted 9/26/2013 10:28:52 PM
Speed isn't actually guaranteed. There's about a 5-10 point total range where either Pokémon could go first. It's weighted towards the higher one, but by no means is certain. You do want to have max speed on sweepers and such because one point may or may not put you outside of that narrow range though.
---
Badge Case [Time Badge]
StrifeHart is my OTP. services performed at BSC: 2 Riley's Boyfriend on the Pokemon BW2 & X boards. W1 FC: 4170 0917 6393
#9Mewtwo_soulPosted 9/26/2013 10:29:43 PM
wind64a posted...
Speed isn't actually guaranteed. There's about a 5-10 point total range where either Pokémon could go first. It's weighted towards the higher one, but by no means is certain. You do want to have max speed on sweepers and such because one point may or may not put you outside of that narrow range though.

I fully agree with that. Sweepers are generally meant for being speed demons in the first place.
---
#10gamepimp12(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 10:36:07 PM(edited)
I don't know of any clean 2hko's (no hazards, including leftovers) that become 3HKO's because of lower IV's

That's my point because of that in most offensive cases

20/22/17/28/19/31

Is just as good as a

31/31/31/31/31/15
---
we rich now but used to be slaves,we pushing whips now we used to be whipped,rockin chains when we used to be in 'em