This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is everyone expecting each starter to have a second type?

#21NewlyTimidMage(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 9:46:49 PM
el_tercer_poder posted...
Twilight_Sonata posted...
el_tercer_poder posted...
Sloth9230 posted...
Metleon posted...
Because no one prefers mono-types to dual types. Secondary types rarely make the Pokemon worse.

Unless you're fire/flying :D

Or Grass/Psychic
Or Grass/Ice
Or Psychic/Rock
Or Rock/Ice

Actually, plenty of those are still great. A Pokemon just needs the right kind of stats and movepool and other stuff to make use of its potential.

True, they can work pretty well.
But from a weakness standpoint, they are not what you'd call "optimal" (typing-wise).

I agree. I especially find it hard to use pokemon with a 4x weakness, like Charizard and Salamence.
---
FC: 3265-5278-7257
#22SirPiercePosted 9/26/2013 9:48:33 PM
As has been said...the PokeBeach leaks lead is to these thoughts.

Also I hate MonoType Pokemon with a passion. When I make evolutions for real Pokemon, the first thing I do is get rid of that by adding a type.
---
Xerneas, The DNAntler Pokemon
Currently Awaiting...SSBU, SSB3DS, Pokemon X, Pokemon Y and Watch Dogs.
#23Twilight_SonataPosted 9/26/2013 9:52:55 PM
NewlyTimidMage posted...
I especially find it hard to use pokemon with a 4x weakness, like Charizard and Salamence.

You might be surprised just how many competitively awesome Pokemon do well despite their 4x weaknesses. Breloom, Celebi, Dragonite, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Garchomp, Gastrodon, Gliscor, Gyarados, Heatran, Landorus, Magnezone, Salamence, Scizor, Tyranitar, Volcarona... Out of 50 OU Pokemon, 16 of them have 4x weaknesses. That's almost a third!
#24NewlyTimidMage(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 9:57:04 PM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
NewlyTimidMage posted...
I especially find it hard to use pokemon with a 4x weakness, like Charizard and Salamence.

You might be surprised just how many competitively awesome Pokemon do well despite their 4x weaknesses. Breloom, Celebi, Dragonite, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Garchomp, Gastrodon, Gliscor, Gyarados, Heatran, Landorus, Magnezone, Salamence, Scizor, Tyranitar, Volcarona... Out of 50 OU Pokemon, 16 of them have 4x weaknesses. That's almost a third!

Sorry, I didn't mean that I don't like using Pokemon with a 4x weakness, in fact I have a Garchomp and a Ferrothorn that are just beasts. It's just that I always have this uneasy feeling that after I take down an opponent's Pokemon with them, they're going to switch to a Pokemon that can One Hit K.O. them.
---
FC: 3265-5278-7257
#25LexifoxPosted 9/26/2013 9:59:08 PM
*sees people discussing the Pokebeach leaks*

k, quick list of things the leak got correct.

CONFIRMED

Fairy exists.

Fairy is weak to Poison and Steel.

Fairy is immmune to Dragon.

Fairy is SE against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting.

Fairy is resisted by Fire.

Older Pokemon get reclassified as Fairy, listing Mawile as an example.

Mewtwo gets "two new formes" activated via item.

One "Forme" resembles Mew, and the other is closer to Mewtwo.

The first Gym is Bug.

"Sky Battles" for Flying and Levitate Pokemon.

A special facility to see/raise EVs.

The ability to see EVs.

The existance of, and English names of, Gogoat, Pancham (given as "Panchum"), Fletchling, and Helioptile.

Pangoro evolving at a certain level with a Dark-type teammate.

The existance of Inkay and Malimar, their Dark/Psychic typing, and evolvution via 3DS being upside-down.

A Psychic type cat named Meowstic (given as "Meowstick").

A Professor named Sycamore who gives you a Kanto starter.

The ability to ride on Gogoat.

Draining Kiss, a Fairy move that heals the user based on damage done.

DISPROVEN

Fairy is resisted by Psychic - Fairy is actually resisted by Poison.

UNCONFIRMED

(Second) Professor's English name is Patrice. Thus far no one named Patrice has appeared.

Starters are Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting - Originally listed as Grass/Fighting and Water/Dark. (Note it was confirmed that they would evolve in a way similar to medieval RPGs, and Fighting/Psychic/Dark can form a knight/mage/rogue trio)

The second Gym is Fairy.

The fourth Gym is Fighting (Note that Korrina is probably Fighting).

Dual-typed attacks (Note that Freeze Dry, an Ice move that hits Water for SE damage, is confirmed)

A Psychic cat named Espurr, that evolves into Meowstic.

A friendly and a competitive rival (Note that we've got candidates for the roles).

HMs existing, but less of them.

Poison move called Belch, 120 power, consumes held berry.

The friendly rival gives you their starter at the end of the game.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod