This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The No.1 Solution to IV's!

#11luigispezzotti(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 2:49:55 AM
MoonLightCloud posted...
pryceoflife posted...
I love how this guy shares his opinions with everyone and yells atus if we call it flawed

He did call his solution "No.1" so it's clear that he believes he's right.

Just as advertising companies label their products as the "No.1 in the market", it's not that their product is ACTUALLY the No.1 product, but including the words "Number One Product" simply attracts people to the item in question.

After people have been drawn in, it's for them to decide on what they think of it.
#12paiprPosted 9/27/2013 3:05:32 AM
luigispezzotti posted...
pryceoflife posted...
I love how this guy shares his opinions with everyone and yells atus if we call it flawed

There was no "yelling", I simply explained why the "flaw" (pertaining to Trick Room users) isn't in the end a flaw at all.

In a way it is still flawed though. By forcing max or no IVsin certain situations your removing one of the areas that someone can lower their Pokemon speed. Possibly causing a Pokemon speed to match that of anothers. Course completely removing IVs would do the same. Which is why I would prefer a more physical way to manage IVs.
---
.....said an almost 30 year old married guy driving a van part time for a living
3ds my fc, 0602-6823-9646, my wifes 0146.9112.0071
#13PinxedPosted 9/27/2013 3:10:00 AM
I say IVs should be 0-23 because 23 is No. 1!

However it also allows more ways to get max power HP (20,22 and 21,23)
---
"Do people go to Smogon's forums and complain about GameFaqs?" - Duskull24
"...you are a god among men" - The Red Man
#14paiprPosted 9/27/2013 3:14:31 AM
Or just make them selectable level up stat points. There are about 186 IVs you can have, so thoughts 14 Levels with just one and 86 with 2.
---
.....said an almost 30 year old married guy driving a van part time for a living
3ds my fc, 0602-6823-9646, my wifes 0146.9112.0071
#15GensokyoPosted 9/27/2013 3:14:41 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#16ClassyOldHatPosted 9/27/2013 5:09:24 AM
MoonLightCloud posted...
pryceoflife posted...

He did call his solution "No.1" so it's clear that he believes he's right.

But just like most of the people who post these kinds of topics, they're in love with their babies. They come up with something (that others have thought of before usually), and they grow attached to their idea. So it hurts them when people disagree. You find that this happens often with lots of things.

Either way, it's a decent enough idea, but you should always expect criticism, especially on Gamefaqs.

But he wasn't yelling. There were no all-caps or bolded statements, nor were there any insults. He just explained why the criticisms of his idea were not valid. Really, so few strategies REQUIRE low IVs, and those that do could just use a nature that lowers the stat in question, that this solution would be practically perfect.

I agree with your idea, TC.
#17Lucidious89Posted 9/27/2013 5:51:08 AM
While i agree this would "solve" IVs, im not sure if its the best way to do it. Mostly because it makes having IVs in the first place pretty redundant if every area where they'd be important just acts as if they dont exist anyway. If you dont need good IVs for anything then why even bother coding them into the game in the first place? Its a wasted mechanic at that point. You could just scrap the mechanic altogether and it would be the same thing.

Another thing is that it makes all of the effort put into breeding pointless. Id much prefer to just revamp the breeding system so that IV passing is much more controllable, rewarding breeders for good planning rather than luck.
#18MogKnightAzurePosted 9/27/2013 6:01:21 AM
While I think breeding is plenty involved enough with abilities, movesets, and natures... I am not opposed to more control in passing down IVs so that it is no longer a lottery. The bottom line is building up a competitive pokemon should not be hours of running back and forth on a bicycle. That is not fun gameplay. I don't mind a LITTLE bit of working to accomplish something - it gives the end result some meaning. But there's a fine line that you eventually cross where the game is no longer amusing and is just a pitifully boring chore.
#19ClassyOldHatPosted 9/27/2013 6:18:44 AM
Lucidious89 posted...
While i agree this would "solve" IVs, im not sure if its the best way to do it. Mostly because it makes having IVs in the first place pretty redundant if every area where they'd be important just acts as if they dont exist anyway. If you dont need good IVs for anything then why even bother coding them into the game in the first place? Its a wasted mechanic at that point. You could just scrap the mechanic altogether and it would be the same thing.

Another thing is that it makes all of the effort put into breeding pointless. Id much prefer to just revamp the breeding system so that IV passing is much more controllable, rewarding breeders for good planning rather than luck.

True, but this solution would also help with unbreedable Pokemon, which any breeding-emphasizing solution would not help. And besides, the main reasons to keep IVs isn't to motivate breeding, it's so your wild Pokemon can be different from each other in the single player game. It's better to allow for a level playing field in the multiplayer than leave it all to luck for unbreedables.
#20Bogmire216Posted 9/27/2013 6:41:55 AM
luigispezzotti posted...
zurcn posted...
i agree with this.

all mode where level is set, have IV's set

there is 1 major flaw though

trick room users

"Trick Room users" isn't a flaw if you understand the basic goal and function behind Trick Room, which is:

To have slower Pokemon than your opponent.

This can still be achieved through Natures that hinder Speed, 0 Speed EV's, and even, if you need them, Speed hindering items.

No, it is a flaw. There are certain trick room users like Eruption Heatran and Victini that NEED that 0 speed IV in order to be as slow as possible, because otherwise their base speed is simply too high even with 0 EVs and a hindering nature. Speed hindering items waste a valuable item slot that could be used for choice band, specs, life orb etc.
---
Friend code: 0903-3254-6934