This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who's your favorite rival?

#1TakethatbackPosted 9/27/2013 3:25:24 AM
My personal favorite is Hugh, he was a nice change from the more friendly rivals, yet he wasn't a complete jerk either. Hugh didn't seem to want to crush you and everything you stand for, he saw you as a partner and wanted you to grow along with him. To me he was the perfect middle ground, plus his theme is kinda epic.
#2Sir_BadassPosted 9/27/2013 3:27:43 AM
Blue and Silver are the only ones who actually seem like rivals. The others all want to be the PC's best friend.

Of the two of them I'd say Silver is better because he actually has some character development throughout the game, as well as a Freudian excuse in HGSS.
#3HeliotropePosted 9/27/2013 3:28:22 AM
Silver. I have a thing for long-haired boys.
---
Currently taking a break from AC:NL. Will start a new town on new year's day. n_n
3DS FC: 2208-4574-2359
#4Takethatback(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 3:36:04 AM
Sir_Badass posted...
Blue and Silver are the only ones who actually seem like rivals. The others all want to be the PC's best friend.

Of the two of them I'd say Silver is better because he actually has some character development throughout the game, as well as a Freudian excuse in HGSS.

Keep in mind rival doesn't equal A-hole, while i do agree crushing someone who ticks you off is satisfying, isn't that what the villain is for? either way not knocking your choice i like both those characters, if i had to choose i would pick blue but that may be gen 1 bias.
#5StevenDrkPrincePosted 9/27/2013 3:43:34 AM
Hugh. I have this weird crush on him.
---
3DS FC: 4296-3067-2375 - $teven from Kalos
"War. War never changes." LOOKING FOR PUDGE
#6JarickoPosted 9/27/2013 3:44:08 AM
Silver. He is an a**hole but he does have some character progression. Also isn't it sad that Gary's character in gen 1 actually stops at the pokemon league. Beaten after being the champion from probably all of an hour at most, lectured and put down by the greater member of your family and having that same person praise your rival, the one who robbed you of your status and then fading into obscurity only to get just an okay role in the sequel as a gym leader you have to find before you can actually battle.

No character development after being beaten where you would expect it to be. Silver got that extra something that Gary did not. In addition to that hes somewhat related to the team rocket events happening, so when he shows up in the middle of a compound run by team rocket it makes sense. When Gary does it in silph co right around that point in the building where you get your lapras, you just stare at the game system and question to yourself, WTF is he doing here?
---
Jaricko - Official Venustoise of the omniverse / bacon in the fridge for all those who cry out in hunger of the Gamefaq's 3ds boards.
#7xGummiBearsxPosted 9/27/2013 3:46:16 AM
Gary motherf***ing Oak
#8Takethatback(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 3:46:40 AM
Jaricko posted...
Silver. He is an a**hole but he does have some character progression. Also isn't it sad that Gary's character in gen 1 actually stops at the pokemon league. Beaten after being the champion from probably all of an hour at most, lectured and put down by the greater member of your family and having that same person praise your rival, the one who robbed you of your status and then fading into obscurity only to get just an okay role in the sequel as a gym leader you have to find before you can actually battle.

No character development after being beaten where you would expect it to be. Silver got that extra something that Gary did not. In addition to that hes somewhat related to the team rocket events happening, so when he shows up in the middle of a compound run by team rocket it makes sense. When Gary does it in silph co right around that point in the building where you get your lapras, you just stare at the game system and question to yourself, WTF is he doing here?

Wow i think you have just made me see Blue in a different light. I feel bad for the guy now =(
#9SkySaberPosted 9/27/2013 3:49:37 AM
Hugh for sure. He's just too cool, and was different compared to other rivals.
---
I am fate...
#10SephirothtPosted 9/27/2013 3:53:06 AM
SkySaber posted...
Hugh for sure. He's just too cool, and was different compared to other rivals.

---
Officially faved Ninetales everywhere, http://i.imgur.com/KBiuUQl.png
"You saying I like dudes?"